Good looking team

Maybe we do end up 5-7...
But I'd be very surprised.
I lowkey think we have 9-3 , 10-2 talent.

This is a talented team.
We have a 5 star QB who might not even be starter because of other talented guys.

RBs that can play WR and RB about 4 deep
- Small ( runs hard)
- Beckwith ( plus power)
- Evans (plus power)
- Wright - can all do everything.

WRa that can run. Some ranked high in prep.
Others just talented
Hyatt 4*
Keyton 4 *
Calloway 4*
Payton 4 *
Jones - All Conference Return Man
And MORE!

Big strong higley ranked OL. Two 5 *s starting at the tackles and big strong men in between.

And the DEFENSE is just littered with athletic fast dudes that are relatively unknown.

10-2.
And I ain't saying it's going to be Florida .

I'm ready for this!!
Tight Ends ——should be interesting to see Julian Nixon, Campbell, Warren and Faint...a breakout position that hasn’t been consistently used in years

6-6 would be relatively equal to the 2020 record, 5-7 would be worse.
I guess, but we got lucky by playing Missouri early before they figured out their QB situation. We probably would've been 6-6 last year I guess had we kept all of our wins with the original schedule.

The reality is Mizzou has passed us and Kentucky has passed us. Now we're looking at probably 2 sec wins and hopefully 4 non conference wins. The team that finished last year probably couldn't even do that, so I hope huepel can at least do that.

I guess, but we got lucky by playing Missouri early before they figured out their QB situation. We probably would've been 6-6 last year I guess had we kept all of our wins with the original schedule.

The reality is Mizzou has passed us and Kentucky has passed us. Now we're looking at probably 2 sec wins and hopefully 4 non conference wins. The team that finished last year probably couldn't even do that, so I hope huepel can at least do that.

How has Missouri and UK passed us?

How has Missouri and UK passed us?
Well UK beat the crap out of us, that one should be pretty easy. Missouri beat them and is in the second year of their head coach, and certainly didn't have the attrition we had, also had a better record than us. Missouri is certainly debatable, but I would say 2nd year with their head coach, not a lot of roster turnover, and established starter at QB is why they would be ahead of us.

The reality is that I expect a long season(5-7 to 7-5) as this team with a lot of new faces is having to learn & be conditioned to a totally new coaching system & scheme, but my hope is that Joe Milton, with his size, strength, arm & speed (Who played Under center the majority of his snaps @ Michigan Limiting his mobility) & will most likely be in the shotgun for the majority of his snaps under Heupel's system, will have a " Cam Newton " type season with our young team being inspired to win more games than any rational thinking human being thought possible !!! Seems that my sunglasses are slowly changing from amber to PMS 151 Orange as the days roll towards our first game, 3 weeks from tonight !!! Go Big Orange; sic'em Smokey !!!

Last edited:
Well UK beat the crap out of us, that one should be pretty easy. Missouri beat them and is in the second year of their head coach, and certainly didn't have the attrition we had, also had a better record than us. Missouri is certainly debatable, but I would say 2nd year with their head coach, not a lot of roster turnover, and established starter at QB is why they would be ahead of us.
Neither is as talented even after all UT has been through.

UT lost to UK by 3... with the worst team record wise in the history of UT football. UT beat UK two years after with JG at QB and Pruitt as HC. UK probably had the best roster they've ever had last year. IIRC, they had 10 guys go to the NFL... that's 10 holes they can't fill with equal players.

Mizzou's "late season turnarond" is a myth. They beat USCe by 7, Arkansas by 2, and blew Vandy out before being destroyed by UGA and MSU.

Did you notice what you did? Mizzou "should have" beaten UT last year with their brand new coach but UT can't beat Mizzou this year with a brand new coach? Mizzou did lose key players.

The team has potential to be good, all over the field. LB remains a concern because there were barely enough guys to practice spring ball. How can they be where they need to be now?

The team has potential to be good, all over the field. LB remains a concern because there were barely enough guys to practice spring ball. How can they be where they need to be now?

You had injuries there, suspensions and transfers not available at the time.

We've added
J Mitchell
J Banks
A Willis
A Beasley
R Harrison *

Since spring.

So if a team beats you once they have passed you? You are trying to use the transitive proprety to prove a false narrative. Neither Missouri nor Kentucky has passed us.

Tight Ends ——should be interesting to see Julian Nixon, Campbell, Warren and Faint...a breakout position that hasn’t been consistently used in years
I'm worried about that.

Heupel uses his TEs a lot in the run game.

Nixon and Campbell look like studs. But they're just babies at the same time
Warren and Fant were no Austin Pope when it came to blocking.

We've got 3 games before conference play to adjust.

Same goes for even the experienced guys in the secondary and D-line.

Only playing the game will improve them.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I like the optimism. But we gotta pump the brakes. Saying that we’re so talented at qb because we have a 5 star who may not even start is ridiculous. We don’t know much about any of the qbs at this point, other than Maurer being inconsistent and Bailey struggling to read coverages fast enough. Milton and Hooker are both big question marks. Let’s not pretend that the team isnt having to learn a whole new system, on top of losing 26 players to the portal.
Very well put. I agree!

Reactions: RockyTop140
Sorry but as a hardcore TN Vol fan since 1985, it’s never enjoyable when the Vols lose.

You're right, they aren't, but being non-realistic about where the team is sets people up for disappointment. I'm not saying be pessimistic, I'm saying look at a team who just went 3-7, and staff change, multiple starter transfers, an investigation into the program, and don't try to set your expectation based on an orange tinted view. Instead lets just enjoy the fact that we get to have football this season, hopefully without too many COVID related issues, and lets see where we are at the end of the season. I'm more concerned with them not creating forfeits when teams have possible COVID issues.

Neither is as talented even after all UT has been through.

UT lost to UK by 3... with the worst team record wise in the history of UT football. UT beat UK two years after with JG at QB and Pruitt as HC. UK probably had the best roster they've ever had last year. IIRC, they had 10 guys go to the NFL... that's 10 holes they can't fill with equal players.

Mizzou's "late season turnarond" is a myth. They beat USCe by 7, Arkansas by 2, and blew Vandy out before being destroyed by UGA and MSU.

Did you notice what you did? Mizzou "should have" beaten UT last year with their brand new coach but UT can't beat Mizzou this year with a brand new coach? Mizzou did lose key players.
Are you good bud? UT didn't lose to UK by 3. We lost by 24 in our own place. What are you talking about?

Missouri still finished the year better then we did. Missouri lost key players, but then again we lost about 4 times as many so I say that evens out. Missouri isn't some world beater, but I stand by the reasons I gave. That same Arkansas team they beat by 2 had just beat us by 2 touchdowns.

Are you good bud? UT didn't lose to UK by 3. We lost by 24 in our own place. What are you talking about?

Missouri still finished the year better then we did. Missouri lost key players, but then again we lost about 4 times as many so I say that evens out. Missouri isn't some world beater, but I stand by the reasons I gave. That same Arkansas team they beat by 2 had just beat us by 2 touchdowns.
Tennessee has more talent than UK, Vandy, usc, Missouri combined

So if a team beats you once they have passed you? You are trying to use the transitive proprety to prove a false narrative. Neither Missouri nor Kentucky has passed us.
Well if they finish ahead of you they have certainly passed you, and both of those teams did that, and therefore they are ahead of us. They also aren't in the first year of a new head coach with unprecedented roster turnover in the history of college football.

I'm as much of a sunshine pumper as the next guy, but you guys are delusional. I'm being realistic, I'm not going to put unrealistic expectations on a team that lost 35 transfers and 2 more that just retired. I just don't expect that team to go 9-3 or 8-4. There's still talent on this roster, but we're 2-3 injuries away from being in serious trouble at certain spots.

It would be really nice to finish ahead of Missouri and Kentucky (and Vandy and USCe), as that would be a clear sign of progress given we finished behind Missouri and Kentucky last year.

VN Store

Back