Good looking team

Mays can play anywhere but I thought his most natural position was guard. Awesome that the freshman Parker is competing for a spot. Also, glad that Wright stayed with us after he was rumored to be on his way out earlier in the year...maybe reflects well on Elarbee.

Mays isn’t a tackle.

I like the optimism. But we gotta pump the brakes. Saying that we’re so talented at qb because we have a 5 star who may not even start is ridiculous. We don’t know much about any of the qbs at this point, other than Maurer being inconsistent and Bailey struggling to read coverages fast enough. Milton and Hooker are both big question marks. Let’s not pretend that the team isnt having to learn a whole new system, on top of losing 26 players to the portal.
Good for you.................this old pessimist says, NEVER BE OPTIMISTIC !!!!! Even I am OPTIMISTIC AND THAT IS SOMETHING TO BEHOLD !!!!

I like the optimism. But we gotta pump the brakes. Saying that we’re so talented at qb because we have a 5 star who may not even start is ridiculous. We don’t know much about any of the qbs at this point, other than Maurer being inconsistent and Bailey struggling to read coverages fast enough. Milton and Hooker are both big question marks. Let’s not pretend that the team isnt having to learn a whole new system, on top of losing 26 players to the portal.
Good for you.................this old pessimist says, NEVER BE OPTISTIMIC !!!!!

Agree...love optimism, but I'll be really pleased w/ a 7-5 record. In SEC slate, other than maybe SC and Vandy, our competition isn't getting weaker. KY and MZ are on an upwards trend. It ALL hinges on the QB. Having emphasis on QB from HC and QB friendly offense should help. Between Butch not even having a QB coach for a year or two and Chaney being misaligned w/ Pruitt on trying to "out power/maneuver" man on man where we have a talent deficit compared to rivals didn't make sense. One thing for sure is if we can get rocking on offense, we'll leapfrog many other SEC teams quickly on talent/recruiting because of our brand and fan support. Most rival fan bases want us "back"...SEC is better when we're in the mix.

Yeah, per Brown at the last practice....

"The situation at offensive tackle on Tuesday was the same as it was on Monday as the Vols worked Dayne Davis alongside Cade Mays and freshman William Parker at right tackle. Clearly it appears the Vols are trying to get all three of their top tackles to be able to play both right and left."

Dayne Davis is a great young man but a walk on made good...... not a 5*. I wish him the best.
I know “be careful what you wish for” but any line combination without Wanya Morris could be an improvement. Whatever the reason - poor coaching, poor effort, or over rated talent - he just did not do well here. His performance at OU will tell which reason it was.

The team was 3-7 last year, wasn't properly coached last 3 years, lost its most talented players, and must fit players who were recruited to run outdated schemes into new, modern schemes. I'm sure Heupel and staff will have to do a lot of remedial coaching just to get players up to speed.

It's hard enough to switch coaching staffs and learning new schemes. It's even harder when the prior staff had several coaches in over their heads and you have to spend your limited practice time teaching players how to line up and how to cover a slant instead of getting reps with your new schemes.

The schedule is favorable but anything more than 6-6 is an accomplishment.

Maybe we do end up 5-7...
But I'd be very surprised.
I lowkey think we have 9-3 , 10-2 talent.

This is a talented team.
We have a 5 star QB who might not even be starter because of other talented guys.

RBs that can play WR and RB about 4 deep
- Small ( runs hard)
- Beckwith ( plus power)
- Evans (plus power)
- Wright - can all do everything.

WRa that can run. Some ranked high in prep.
Others just talented
Hyatt 4*
Keyton 4 *
Calloway 4*
Payton 4 *
Jones - All Conference Return Man
And MORE!

Big strong higley ranked OL. Two 5 *s starting at the tackles and big strong men in between.

And the DEFENSE is just littered with athletic fast dudes that are relatively unknown.

10-2.
And I ain't saying it's going to be Florida .

I'm ready for this!!

Ah preseason in August - when the kool-Aid is really refreshing and tastes a little sweeter on those hot, humid days. I sense you may have modified yours into a mimosa.
Good times - enjoy - for soon the season will be upon us.

Reactions: Rylee_Vol18
I like the optimism and agree we do have talent. The problem is quality depth. When we get to mid season and have some injuries is where we get in some trouble. I think our starters across the board are as talented as any team except Bama and Georgia. Our depth though is middle of SEC talent. I feel like the 7-5, 6-6 range is reasonable.

Reactions: savannahfan
I’m excited to see what this season holds.
I think it will be a positive turning point in the Volunteer football program.
The sleeping giant may be awakening!
GBO! 🍊🍊🍊

And he may just arouse a little, roll over and go back to sleep.

For me, the key to the program "staying awake" is one of the QB's being SMART enough to play the position as coach H demands within his offense.

If this offense can get going and can score a lot, what about defense? Can they come up with 3/4 key stops a game? They will somehow have to get off of the field on 3rs downs..... Critical

If the defense can't stop the opponent, then the offense won't be able to score "a lot of points".

I like the optimism and agree we do have talent. The problem is quality depth. When we get to mid season and have some injuries is where we get in some trouble. I think our starters across the board are as talented as any team except Bama and Georgia. Our depth though is middle of SEC talent. I feel like the 7-5, 6-6 range is reasonable.

So what you are saying is our coaching staff has to make a big difference. Something that has not happened in several years.

Agree...love optimism, but I'll be really pleased w/ a 7-5 record. In SEC slate, other than maybe SC and Vandy, our competition isn't getting weaker. KY and MZ are on an upwards trend. It ALL hinges on the QB. Having emphasis on QB from HC and QB friendly offense should help. Between Butch not even having a QB coach for a year or two and Chaney being misaligned w/ Pruitt on trying to "out power/maneuver" man on man where we have a talent deficit compared to rivals didn't make sense. One thing for sure is if we can get rocking on offense, we'll leapfrog many other SEC teams quickly on talent/recruiting because of our brand and fan support. Most rival fan bases want us "back"...SEC is better when we're in the mix.

I like what you are saying, that is until the last sentence. I really doubt this.

VN Store

Back