Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Does anyone remember a place east of the strip that I believe was about a block away. I was there in 1980 and they had pitchers of rum and coke for $3.00
I was there about that time and don’t remember any place off the strip with $3 pitchers of rum and coke …… maybe it was The Carousel Club, I didn’t hang out there

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I worked in their deli in the Fall of 1976. Randy and Junior taught me all the best Greek cuss words. 😁
One of our best Knoxville restaurant history things is the Greek families that started and operated restaurants here. It's quite the rich history. Pizza Palace, Louis, Sam and Andy's, and more.

I try to ask around every year at Greekfest about these families. They all were members at St. George Greek Orthodox Church.

Last edited:
One of our best Knoxville restaurant history things is the Greek families that started and operated restaurants here. It's quite the rich history. Pizza Palace, Louis, Sam and Andy's, and more.

I try to ask around every year at Greekfest about these families. They all were members at St. George's Greek Orthodox Church.
I loved going to Greekfest back in the 70’s, it was a huge event.

Hey Mad, it's still huge or even huger. The shuttle buses! I have been to Greekfest for the last 15 years.

Since Vol Nation gets indexed on search engines, I want to add a shoutout to the best host and entertainer that Greekfest TN has ever had. George Karras. St. George hired him and Themi four or five years in a row before the pandemic, and George was sensational. He was the perfect nightclub performer host and ran things on the sound system like clockwork. For some dumbass reason, St. George has not brought him back. I'm in touch with George and trying to reach someone at St. George to bring him back this November.

George is on the left, and Themi, his bandmate of many years, is on the right.

hqdefault[1].jpg

I try to ask around every year at Greekfest about these families. They all were members at St. George Greek Orthodox Church.
Also Regas and Alexander’s.

Thanks, TGO. They didn't all come to mind, and it's good to get them all in the mention.

Reactions: MAD

I remember going into Peroulas cafe downtown in late 70s when I was job hunting. I must have looked downcast, because Mrs P stopped at my booth and asked me what was going on. I told her I was having trouble finding a job. She said, Doan geeve up. Doan geeve up. It did cheer me up. 🙂

I remember going into Peroulas cafe downtown in late 70s when I was job hunting. I must have looked downcast, because Mrs P stopped at my booth and asked me what was going on. I told her I was having trouble finding a job. She said, Doan geeve up. Doan geeve up. It did cheer me up. 🙂
Cool story.

Reactions: Ted
Surin of Thailand restaurant, which has been operating for decades on Bearden Hill, has closed.

The last post from Jan. 9 on the restaurant's Facebook page shared a link to an obituary for the owner Surin Techarukpong. He died Jan. 6.

The restaurant's Facebook page and Google listing say it is permanently closed. It served stir fry, curry, noodles, special entrees and sushi.

Surin of Thailand's Knoxville location is at 6213 Kingston Pike, and the owners have six other Surin locations in Alabama and Georgia, and one in Atlanta called Ocean Wave, that are still open.

IMG_6919.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vjcvette and Ted

VN Store

Back