Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

I mean, I think there’s one left, but I haven’t been because I keep telling myself it doesn’t taste the same as back in the day, but Mandarin House, use to be soooooooooo good

Reactions: Ted
Now I recognize the top picture. But it's funny how rarely I saw it from Cumberland Ave (the second pic.) Is that actually a photo, or just an architectural rendering? There ought to be buidings visible behind it, right?

Now I recognize the top picture. But it's funny how rarely I saw it from Cumberland Ave (the second pic.) Is that actually a photo, or just an architectural rendering? There ought to be buidings visible behind it, right?
It’s a pic. Stokely Management Center and Glocker are out of the frame to the right and Neyland Stadium is behind it but is at a lower elevation. There are some buildings on The Hill visible to the left.

I can’t place and don’t recognize the little store. But it’s an old picture - look at the cash register. It’s not at all how I remember the spot just inside the front doors facing Cumberland.

I can’t place and don’t recognize the little store. But it’s an old picture - look at the cash register. It’s not at all how I remember the spot just inside the front doors facing Cumberland.
Isn't that in the bookstore itself? Down in the basement (I'm really hazy here). I remember aisles and aisles of textbooks, but a cluster of a little bit of everything around the main checkout area.

Buying books, and trying to score used but decent books was a real battle!

Reactions: EasternVol
Isn't that in the bookstore itself? Down in the basement (I'm really hazy here). I remember aisles and aisles of textbooks, but a cluster of a little bit of everything around the main checkout area.

When I was there, iirc there were several checkout aisles in the basement bookstore rather than a counter. But that cash register dates it a decade or two before my time. It might be a pic of the store above the bookstore.

Reactions: VolNExile
Is the building that used to be Flamingos on the Strip still standing? I saw DMB, Hootie, Toadies, Wallflowers, and Jackopierce there. To this day Jackopierce is my favorite band. Spent many evenings there with my future wife.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Is the building that used to be Flamingos on the Strip still standing? I saw DMB, Hootie, Toadies, Wallflowers, and Jackopierce there. To this day Jackopierce is my favorite band. Spent many evenings there with my future wife.

1836 Cumberland Avenue (the red marker) hasn’t been sold to the out of state developers. Yet.

IMG_0391.jpeg

Reactions: MAD

Yes, it was the bookstore there.

Reactions: VolNExile
Yes, it was the bookstore there.
Where would the steps be coming down from the upper level? Or is that the upper level? The Phil Fulmer Way street level/entrance with Smokey’s?
I don't know when everyone was at UT. I was there multiple eons ago, and it looked like this, cash registers and all. I wrote checks for pretty much everything. I'd have to pay several hundred dollars for books each semester, which blew my mind. No computers, of course, and we registered for classes using punch cards.

Now I'm back in college (UNCA), and very, very grateful that hardly any of my major courses require textbooks, as each individual book now costs as much as I paid for a FT courseload.

I deduce that you did not have a class that required writing code, creating punch cards, and feeding these into the IBM 360. Booking lab time to make punch cards and feed the beast was a PITA.

Turn in a stack of punch cards, wait 20 minutes during CPU busy time for the green bar output, make new cards for the ones with typos causing errors, rinse, repeat. The good ole days.

COBOL was a beast.

VN Store

Back