Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
Was reading the Ruby Tuesday thread and it brought back a lot of memories so thought it would be fun to start a thread listing places that have closed that we miss and might have some cool nostalgic stories you want to share.

Anyone remember when the Marriott Downtown was the Hyatt and they had a really cool Sunday Brunch up on the top floor?

We would go when friends and family would visit from out of town and I remember as a kid being so excited to ride the glass elevators.

The Half Shell (Homberg at Mohican)
Regas
Putt-Putt on Papermill Road
Ramada Inn across from West Town
The Last Lap
The UT Student Center
Stokely Athletics Center
Ali Baba's Time-Out Deli
Athletic House
Deane Hill Country Club
Falafel Hut
Taco Rancho
The Orange Tee driving range
Hanna's Restaurant
The Campus Inn bar
Pero's
The Snake Snatch Lodge
Darryl's 1879 on Bearden Hill
Shakey's Pizza

Last edited:
The Half Shell (Homberg at Mohican)
Regas
Putt-Putt on Papermill Road
Ramada Inn across from West Town
The Last Lap
The UT Student Center
Stokely Athletics Center
Ali Baba's Time-Out Deli
Athletic House

Great list.

Do you remember Bahou?

Not a restaurant, and I'm just guessing its long gone...but The Boiler room was fun as a mofo. Tons of great stories, none of which I could share on here.

Reactions: jhcrane14
Is that one of the guys running Ali Baba's?

"Next please!"

lol, that made me laugh.

No it was a really nice Mediterranean restaurant.
It was behind a movie theater off of Kingston Pike in a cute little shopping center not far form Ali Baba's.

There was a second one called Bahou Container in the Bearden area.

Original Ivy's... Spent a lot of time there.

walk in the door.....bar in front......juke box to the left.....bathroom to the right.....darts in the back.....tables everywhere

yeah I spent many a night there and $3 on Mondays

Was that the Faculty Club next to the swimming pool off of Cumberland Ave?

yep. Worked there too. The night and weekend employees were all students. We had a blast. It didnt sell drinks-the members brought in liquor and checked it it. We would sell the set ups and pour it for them. Then they'd forget it was there so we'd take a bottle or two home now and then. Ate like champs

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
yep. Worked there too. The night and weekend employees were all students. We had a blast. It didnt sell drinks-the members brought in liquor and checked it it. We would sell the set ups and pour it for them. Then they'd forget it was there so we'd take a bottle or two home now and then. Ate like champs

I spent all my summers at that pool, loved the Faculty Club.

Reactions: ArdentVol
walk in the door.....bar in front......juke box to the left.....bathroom to the right.....darts in the back.....tables everywhere

yeah I spent many a night there and $3 on Mondays

I think we've talked about it before. The DU house was right up the hill so it was too easy to stumble home.

I remember walking in that place, pipes leaking from the ceiling, condom and needle on the floor, glow sticks getting thrown everywhere, half naked chicks rubbing on each other, and thought "I'm finally home" lol

VN Store

Back