Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Did Jimmy Johns in turkey creek go out of business or did they move? Anyone know? I went by there earlier today and there were gone. Sign is down and everything.
Late reply, but they have moved to Kingston pike near Costco. I got two giant italian subs for $20 with the $5 off online deal last weekend, loaded + the spicy peppers, and they were actually a real hit with the fam. Not sure why the hate, but it was a great deal while watching football.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Golden Corral on Clinton Highway has permanently closed due to the economic impact from the COVID-19 pandemic.

I hope CiCi’s is surviving. I used to do much damage at the all-you-can eat buffet. I haven’t been by for 9 or 10 months... I used to go once or twice a month when I felt especially glutinous.

Does anyone remember the Steak and Egg Kitchen (or something along those lines) that would have been on Cumberland around 19th street? I remember it being there at least in October 1982. It was a small place that would be torn down within a year or two after that. I remember that for a few years after it was torn down the sidewalk was all that was left.

I remember back around '88 or so, my brother worked at Hawkeye's Corner (17th & White) and I was about 16 or so. I had a friend drop me off and I was going to stay with him that night. He got me a seat at the bar (which was dark) and ordered me a beer. After that, I just raised my glass. After his shift, we continued drinking at the bar and we somehow made it to his house off Western towards I-640.

Not a smart memory but a great memory!

Reactions: MAD
I remember back around '88 or so, my brother worked at Hawkeye's Corner (17th & White) and I was about 16 or so. I had a friend drop me off and I was going to stay with him that night. He got me a seat at the bar (which was dark) and ordered me a beer. After that, I just raised my glass. After his shift, we continued drinking at the bar and we somehow made it to his house off Western towards I-640.

Not a smart memory but a great memory!
I have a few of those that my children will probably never hear. lol

Does anyone remember the Steak and Egg Kitchen (or something along those lines) that would have been on Cumberland around 19th street? I remember it being there at least in October 1982. It was a small place that would be torn down within a year or two after that. I remember that for a few years after it was torn down the sidewalk was all that was left.
I don’t, but our resident expert historian @Thunder Good-Oil would probably know.

I don’t, but our resident expert historian @Thunder Good-Oil would probably know.

I remember their sign but I never visited that place. Are we sure that the building was torn down? I don’t remember the exact spot but if it was in the space just east of Stefano’s I think those buildings might still be there. Near Antonio’s? Maybe I’m off by a block or two.

Reactions: MAD
Are there any Buddy's BBQ places still around? I used to love that place, but I haven't seen one around East TN in a long time when I come home for visits. There might be one in Maryville still... not sure.

Reactions: Danl and Boca Vol
Are there any Buddy's BBQ places still around? I used to love that place, but I haven't seen one around East TN in a long time when I come home for visits. There might be one in Maryville still... not sure.

I believe so. There is one on KP just East of Northshore on the right. There is one in Lenoir City. One on 321 going towards LC from Maryville.

I like Buddy's. They don't do a lot to their Q. Their loaded baked taters are money!

I’m not aware of any Buddy’s closures. Last I looked there’s the one near the original location just east of Northshore on KP. Another just west of Bearden High School on KP. Another on the east side of Broadway just south of the I-640 intersection

I’m not aware of any Buddy’s closures. Last I looked there’s the one near the original location just east of Northshore on KP. Another just west of Bearden High School on KP. Another on the east side of Broadway just south of the I-640 intersection

The only one I've seen close was on Alcoa Highway near the airport and the RV place. Probably a bad location. Everything between the airport and town is an eyesore and needs to be graded into a pile and burned anyway.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
The only one I've seen close was on Alcoa Highway near the airport and the RV place. Probably a bad location. Everything between the airport and town is an eyesore and needs to be graded into a pile and burned anyway.

They might be on their 3rd building at the original location. Seems like the current one might be on the footprint of Pick ‘n Grin. Maybe the original spot wasn’t torn down for the 2nd version. Just extensively remodeled and expanded. Bluegrass bands connected to Pick ‘n Grin used to play in the dining area. The Knoxville Grass were big back then. The Banquet Hall might sit on the spot of the original Buddy’s... but I haven’t driven by that one lately either.

That's right! There is one on 321 in Maryville. I remember when there used to be 4 or 5 Buddy's around Maryville and I could just go down the street and pick up a sandwich.

I don’t know that any of the Buddy’s have closed in the last year. One of the few “order at the counter” ( I think their slogan that their not fast food but good food fast) restaurants that have indoor seating

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I don’t know that any of the Buddy’s have closed in the last year. One of the few “order at the counter” ( I think their slogan that their not fast food but good food fast) restaurants that have indoor seating
Not really talking about the last year. I have lived out of state for the last 25 years and over the years when I come back for visits, they have just slowly faded out. Glad to hear they still have a decent footprint around the area for when I move back next year.

Reactions: Wireless1
I remember their sign but I never visited that place. Are we sure that the building was torn down? I don’t remember the exact spot but if it was in the space just east of Stefano’s I think those buildings might still be there. Near Antonio’s? Maybe I’m off by a block or two.
I remember the building having been torn down by the mid 80's, I think the slab was part of what would become O'Charlies on the strip.

VN Store

Back