Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Did Jimmy Johns in turkey creek go out of business or did they move? Anyone know? I went by there earlier today and there were gone. Sign is down and everything.

I don’t eat there often but I didn’t realize it had such a bad reputation around here. Lol.

What about Lennys? That’s where I ended up today. Not bad IMO.
I’m over chain sandwich shops. Lenny’s 10 years ago? Yes. Lennys now? Nope. Jimmy John’s has to be one of the most uninspired places I’ve ever eaten.

I’ll go to Nixon’s deli.

I’m over chain sandwich shops. Lenny’s 10 years ago? Yes. Lennys now? Nope. Jimmy John’s has to be one of the most uninspired places I’ve ever eaten.

I’ll go to Nixon’s deli.
Funny, I've never really liked Nixon's.

I don’t eat there often but I didn’t realize it had such a bad reputation around here. Lol.

What about Lennys? That’s where I ended up today. Not bad IMO.
Lenny's and Jersey Mike's are both much better than Jimmy John's. I think Jimmy John's quality has suffered over the years. Their delivery is all that keeps them afloat.

I have had some of the best sandwiches ever at Nixon's. I will also say I've had a couple of the worst, too. I guess that happens any place that's been in business that long, though.
I take it back that I "never" liked Nixon's. I think you nailed it. I used to like their sandwiches back in the day but I had a couple of bad experiences and haven't been back.

I take it back that I "never" liked Nixon's. I think you nailed it. I used to like their sandwiches back in the day but I had a couple of bad experiences and haven't been back.
Website is still showing open but I dont live anywhere near there so IDK for sure

Reactions: Vjcvette
early 90s, Holiday Inn at Papermill had a comedy bar inside. Saw Pinkard and Bowden there.

Mid 80s there was a comedy bar on Kingston Pk near East Town mall. I remember seeing Judy Tenuta. I think she was still married to Emo at the time
The one on KP near West Town Mall was the Funny Bone. Don’t remember the name of the one at the Holiday Inn. They’ve both been mentioned in the old depths of this thread so maybe the name was given and I just don’t ‘member.

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
The Half Shell (Homberg at Mohican)
Regas
Putt-Putt on Papermill Road
Ramada Inn across from West Town
The Last Lap
The UT Student Center
Stokely Athletics Center
Ali Baba's Time-Out Deli
Athletic House
Deane Hill Country Club
Falafel Hut
Taco Rancho
The Orange Tee driving range
Hanna's Restaurant
The Campus Inn bar
Pero's
The Snake Snatch Lodge
Darryl's 1879 on Bearden Hill
Shakey's Pizza
PERO'S ....yes...yes...!

The Half Shell (Homberg at Mohican)
Regas
Putt-Putt on Papermill Road
Ramada Inn across from West Town
The Last Lap
The UT Student Center
Stokely Athletics Center
Ali Baba's Time-Out Deli
Athletic House
Deane Hill Country Club
Falafel Hut
Taco Rancho
The Orange Tee driving range
Hanna's Restaurant
The Campus Inn bar
Pero's
The Snake Snatch Lodge
Darryl's 1879 on Bearden Hill
Shakey's Pizza

Reactions: Vjcvette
Thanks for sharing this. I worked at Sam & Andy's in Farragut in '90. I steamed more sandwiches and made more Vol Burgers than I can count. The steamer rocked. Now I want one!
Thanks, I ate a lot of food there.
There are very few chain delis or restaurants that I care for. Their products just don't taste like real food anymore.

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
If I lived in Knoxville, I would never eat at Jimmy John’s
This is what I miss so much from living in East Tennessee
“They Like That Soft Bread” — THE BITTER SOUTHERNER
I grew up in West TN. I ate my first steamed sandwich at Gus's when I came to visit my older brother in college. I ate many at Gus's, Vic and Bill's, and Sam and Andy's when I was in school at Knoxville. I didn't realize they were so unique until I moved away after school.

I grew up in West TN. I ate my first steamed sandwich at Gus's when I came to visit my older brother in college. I ate many at Gus's, Vic and Bill's, and Sam and Andy's when I was in school at Knoxville. I didn't realize they were so unique until I moved away after school.
Every so often I’m unfortunate enough to have to grab something at subway. They’ll ask “would you like that toasted?” I’m like, “no ************, I want it steamed!!”

Every so often I’m unfortunate enough to have to grab something at subway. They’ll ask “would you like that toasted?” I’m like, “no ************, I want it steamed!!”
After moving from Knoxville it took me years to figure out.
I didn’t understand the difference between steaming and toasted, I just thought my tastes had changed. Just thought it was different verbiage.
After that article it all made sense.

You can still get a delicious steamed sandwich at Parton's Deli in Gatlinburg.
Made the old fashioned way since 1974...

Attachments

• E204C02B-A08E-4AC1-8069-4C45090CF2E4.jpeg
    E204C02B-A08E-4AC1-8069-4C45090CF2E4.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: MAD
Here's another gone but not forgotten north Knoxville restaurant. This was a little place across Broadway from the Broadway Shopping Center, between Chicago and McCroskey Avenues. I don't remember the name, but they had the sign out front for "Metts and Beans". It was in operation from the 60's up until 2000 or so. The site is still vacant. Anyone remember the name?

I did a quick search on "Knoxville Metts and Beans" just in case. Didn't find anything useful, but did find Metts and beans - the south in my mouth which mentions a place called Brownie's, which later became the Old College Inn. Who all of you ever went to Brownie's? It wasn't the place on Broadway, was it?

VN Store

Back