Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

"Cas Walker's got the freshest meat in town!" Now that's marketing.

He had shears on his logo (Sign of the Shears maybe on the neon signage). I’d heard that Kroger had to pay him royalties for years when they rolled out their Cost Cutter store brand. I still have a yellow Cost Cutter beer can.

Cas Walker meat just can’t be beat. That was a real promo. He allegedly used some sort of red dye when his meat started going rancid.

Thumpin’ good. Thumpin’ good. Cas Walker melons are Thumpin’ good. Red and ripe and ready to eat. Cas Walker melons just can’t be beat. I think that commercial might be on YouTube. It would fail the PC test today, even though there were 2 kids devouring the watermelon and one of them was a white boy.

Part 2 at 11:30 Cas talks about lawsuits. Woman says I called her a prostitute. I didn’t call her a prostitute, I called her a wh@**. Cost me $3,000 and it was cheap,

Part 2 at 13:30 apparently Cas didn’t much like the Cars.

I'm dyin'! "You don't know how to DO." Never saw this outtake of Cas the Producer.:D:p

54. Orange Julius. Loved having those at West Town! They've been discussed a lot. Is Denton's the only remaining place to get one? Although it's called the "Big Orange Drink" there.. But gosh, those were good!

Orange Julius towards JCP was where it was back then...you had Spencer's, Champs, and the Record Bar all down there. Loved the poster rack and Record Bar. I think my brother had every felt KISS poster ever made in the 70's.

I can’t think of a more iconic and interesting Knoxville/E TN character than Cas Walker. There’s Margie, Dolly, Chet/Archie/Roy, the Everlys, John Ward and Lyndsey Nelson, Fulmer/Majors/Neyland/Mears, Mad Jack, the Butcher brothers. But Cas was in a class of characters all alone.
I remember when Mad Jack would jump off of his furniture building into a pile of boxes in one of his commercials and also I believe that there was a chevrolet commercial where the car drove right through the glass
of the showroom and ended up in the parking lot.

I remember when Mad Jack would jump off of his furniture building into a pile of boxes in one of his commercials and also I believe that there was a chevrolet commercial where the car drove right through the glass

Had something going on with a gorilla suit and rode a bicycle through a tunnel of fire at Atomic Speedway.

West Chevrolet

Do you remember on WOKI and......Boogie check, boogie check, ooh, ahh?

Yep. I always liked Thurmond when he did sports. Some of my favorite memories as a Vol fan.

Sam Brown used to zip around West Knoxville in his green MGB roadster. He might have lived at Westcliff Apartments on Lyons View Drive. He had a beautiful wife that was a local model. Both Sam and Mike passed away at very young ages. Margie hasn’t been in the best of health but was out and about and giving out winks in Fountain City not too many years ago.

Sam Brown used to zip around West Knoxville in his green MGB roadster. He might have lived at Westcliff Apartments on Lyons View Drive. He had a beautiful wife that was a local model. Both Sam and Mike passed away at very young ages. Margie hasn’t been in the best of health but was out and about and giving out winks in Fountain City not too many years ago.

Lol...I went to a wet t-shirt/bikini contest in about '79 or '80 and Margie was either the mc or a judge. I cant remember exactly... but it was one for the scrap book.

My Mother and I sat with Margie one day at the Orange Bowl in West Town Mall and talked while we ate lunch......she was looking for a place to sit so we invited her to sit with us, tht was in 1975, and do you remember
the weather man named Scottie, well this was around 1977 but he was a DJ at night sometimes at Flanagans on Kingston pike and then the weather man I believe on WATE and there was also a commercial about him
where they used the Rocky theme music and he was in sweats like Rocky going up the steps.

Reactions: ArdentVol
My Mother and I sat with Margie one day at the Orange Bowl in West Town Mall and talked while we ate lunch......she was looking for a place to sit so we invited her to sit with us, tht was in 1975, and do you remember
the weather man named Scottie, well this was around 1977 but he was a DJ at night sometimes at Flanagans on Kingston pike and then the weather man I believe on WATE and there was also a commercial about him
where they used the Rocky theme music and he was in sweats like Rocky going up the steps.

Scott Sams maybe? I’m not sure though.

VN Store

Back