Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

That place was great!

Wasn't there also a Greenback Stamps redemption store near Hill's at Bearden Hill?

Yes!!!! I remember it being a mile or two east of the mall and on the north side of Kingston Pike. My mom was
Green Stamps collector and we would visit it often. Never seemed to have enough for anything good but at least we could dream.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes!!!! I remember it being a mile or two east of the mall and on the north side of Kingston Pike. My mom was
Green Stamps collector and we would visit it often. Never seemed to have enough for anything good but at least we could dream.

Truer words have never been written!

Service Merchandise. Pick up your ticket and then go over to the side where they slide you your purchase on rollers.

Dude.

Did we share a childhood or something? I bought my first Casio watch there and it rolling out is a random memory that I'll never forget.

Dude.

Did we share a childhood or something? I bought my first Casio watch there and it rolling out is a random memory that I'll never forget.

Maybe. Maybe.

I was too young to buy anything from service merchandise. I did buy a tube tv from the circuit city that replaced it. I think I was a freshman in high school and I used it to play xbox on.

Maybe. Maybe.

I was too young to buy anything from service merchandise. I did buy a tube tv from the circuit city that replaced it. I think I was a freshman in high school and I used it to play xbox on.

Circuit City was where Conns is now.

I don’t recall what, if anything, actually replaced Service Merchandise.

I miss CompUSA. Their prices weren’t always competitive, but I used to love wandering around the store. Local computer stores are grossly disappointing.

Reactions: 2 people
Circuit City was where Conns is now.

I don’t recall what, if anything, actually replaced Service Merchandise.

I think that that is Circuit City's 3rd location on Kingston Pike. The first one was tiny... near IHOP. Service Merchandise is now Office Depot, or was that called "United General Products" or something? There was another SM near Cedar Bluff IIRC... that's probably the one everybody is reminiscing about.

I think that that is Circuit City's 3rd location on Kingston Pike. The first one was tiny... near IHOP. Service Merchandise is now Office Depot, or was that called "United General Products" or something? There was another SM near Cedar Bluff IIRC... that's probably the one everybody is reminiscing about.

Yeah, I’m thinking about the one near cedar bluff.

Service Merchadise was in the Market Place Shopping Center on Kingston Pike, where Home Depot is.

Also where the old Kroger and indoor go-carting was.

The CompUSA (or whatever computer store) was where Planet Fitness is now.

Circuit City was where Conn’s is now.

I can’t go back any further than that.

Service Merchadise was in the Market Place Shopping Center on Kingston Pike, where Home Depot is.

Also where the old Kroger and indoor go-carting was.

The CompUSA (or whatever computer store) was where Planet Fitness is now.

Circuit City was where Conn’s is now.

I can’t go back any further than that.

Circuit City was also across from West Town behind the TIS building and before that east of West Town near IHOP.

Can’t remember if it’s been mentioned yet but I was thinking about The Funny Bone that was on Kingston Pike in West Knox. I remember being there one night and the comic (don’t remember name) was particularly picking on two people in the audience: me (probably because I was a putz and an easy target) and Antone Davis (probably because he was the most noticeable guy in the room). Antone was still playing then and good god he was an imposing-looking dude (but seemed very nice, I must say).

Loved that goat farm. Cheap and we could load up our own cooler

Is it gone? I played that course a lot... used to play in club best ball tournaments there. They would always have a prize for the longest drive on 18. I was having a so-so round and when I got to 18 I decided to swing as hard as I could... I thought I would never be able to control the drive, but ended up lucky and it was the longest drive of the day... that was before the club pro took his turn... he won the prize every year, including that year as well.

Once the course owner set up a pool table on the putting green and actually had Minnesota Fats there for a pool exhibition. There were maybe 6 people there to watch that. Was interesting to say the least... I got an autograph from him... he would pull out a rubber stamp and wet it in ink and stamp a piece of paper for you. LOL. He had a babe for a girl friend with him.
56a2b5e8e2a4f.image.jpg

Another nice memory from my days in K-town... you guys are pulling em out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Is it gone? I played that course a lot... used to play in club best ball tournaments there. They would always have a prize for the longest drive on 18. I was having a so-so round and when I got to 18 I decided to swing as hard as I could... I thought I would never be able to control the drive, but ended up lucky and it was the longest drive of the day... that was before the club pro took his turn... he won the prize every year, including that year as well.

Once the course owner set up a pool table on the putting green and actually had Minnesota Fats there for a pool exhibition. There were maybe 6 people there to watch that. Was interesting to say the least... I got an autograph from him... he would pull out a rubber stamp and wet it in ink and stamp a piece of paper for you. LOL. He had a babe for a girl friend with him.
56a2b5e8e2a4f.image.jpg

Another nice memory from my days in K-town... you guys are pulling em out.

Great post!

Yep. Cedar Hills is gone. They tried to convert it to a subdivision.

Can’t remember if it’s been mentioned yet but I was thinking about The Funny Bone that was on Kingston Pike in West Knox. I remember being there one night and the comic (don’t remember name) was particularly picking on two people in the audience: me (probably because I was a putz and an easy target) and Antone Davis (probably because he was the most noticeable guy in the room). Antone was still playing then and good god he was an imposing-looking dude (but seemed very nice, I must say).

Didn't the Funny Bone move to Park West Blvd? There was also a Soup Kitchen (or something like that) in that spot. That place was great.

I also remember a comedy club in the Holiday Inn (which is now a La Quinta) off Paper Mill.

VN Store

Back