Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

There was a HoJo about a block west of the old Ramada. I don't know if that Ramada across from West Town was originally a different chain or not. The Ramada that's been closed for several years is the large building in the lower right corner of the attached picture.

Since we're talking about West Town Mall what about Proffitt's? Fred Proffitt was a close family friend.

Reactions: 1 person
I just confirmed with my mother. A&P is the bigger building to the right. Miller's Department store's auto center is below it and closer to Kingston Pike.

The picture was probably from around 1980 with Ray Mears under construction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
There was a HoJo about a block west of the old Ramada. I don't know if that Ramada across from West Town was originally a different chain or not. The Ramada that's been closed for several years is the large building in the lower right corner of the attached picture.

attachment.php

Moved to apt complex near West Town in 1980. Did my grocery shopping at A&P. Was a good location back then, good eats along the pike.

I was. Although Celebration Station was fun to visit on occasion.

Julios is still there, just called Paul's Oasis now. And Paul redid the inside. No more lockers. I think the boxing ring is still standing.

Celebration Station > Zuma's > demolished.

Anyone remember Funscape in West Town Mall? It was up in front of where the theater is.

Hey Thunder, I was thinking of a different lot. The old HoJo building is still there. It's sitting right next to the State Trooper's office.

hojo — Postimage.org

Is the Spicey’s on Emory Rd not open anymore?

It is...Wild Wings on clinton hwy uses their orginal sauce and recipe...direct link to orginal one on campus, which was formally the Swensens Ice Cream Parlor on cumberland...owned by the son of the one in Downtown West. Best Ice Cream ever, i know, I made it

Hey Thunder, I was thinking of a different lot. The old HoJo building is still there. It's sitting right next to the State Trooper's office.

hojo — Postimage.org

No, that's the Ramada Inn that I've been posting about. It's in the lower, right hand corner of the picture of West Town Mall. The old Howard Johnson motel was located just out of the picture to the west. It was demolished before the 2 restaurants that went in, Macaroni Grill and I forget the name of the other one (Mexican). The torn down Howard Johnson had the traditional orange A-frame entrance and their front door faced west.

It is...Wild Wings on clinton hwy uses their orginal sauce and recipe...direct link to orginal one on campus, which was formally the Swensens Ice Cream Parlor on cumberland...owned by the son of the one in Downtown West. Best Ice Cream ever, i know, I made it

I think you might mean Wings Xpress on Clinton Hwy.

No, that's the Ramada Inn that I've been posting about. It's in the lower, right hand corner of the picture of West Town Mall. The old Howard Johnson motel was located just out of the picture to the west. It was demolished before the 2 restaurants that went in, Macaroni Grill and I forget the name of the other one (Mexican). The torn down Howard Johnson had the traditional orange A-frame entrance and their front door faced west.

Ok, well it was the Howard Johnson before it was the Ramada Inn then.

Cozymel's Mexican Restaurant I believe it was.

I don’t think so.

I have a vague recollection of it once being branded as a Howard Johnson, but it was a Ramada for most of my memory of it. I can't believe how long it's been empty and how large it is. Like I said in the first post, it's possibly not economically feasible to save at this point. It's not the easiest property to access anymore.

Edit: and it might have even been branded as Howard Johnson AFTER Ramada.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Celebration Station > Zuma's > demolished.

Anyone remember Funscape in West Town Mall? It was up in front of where the theater is.

I do. It was supposed to be an indoor theme park. I feel like it lasted maybe 5 years.

The movie theater at the mall was so dope when it opened up.

Now, my first choice is the one on gay street.

VN Store

Back