Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

#bringbackbabes

That picture above is cool. I don't remember the other free standing building next to the mall near the movie theater. What was that?

My zoom isn’t great, but it looks like some sort of service/repair joint other than Sears or NTB or whatever that was called where Longhorn is now.

Reactions: 1 person
the lap.

the library.

hawkeyes.

o'charlies on the strip.

charlie peppers.

OCI (i think it was gone last time i was there)

the longbranch

probably all have been mentioned. none should be forgotten. RIP "The Strip".

#bringbackbabes

That picture above is cool. I don't remember the other free standing building next to the mall near the movie theater. What was that?

The building due south of the movie theater was an auto repair store... either Firestone or Western Auto. The Sears Auto Center is due south of the mall... close to the tall white building. There's supposed to be an A&P in that picture somewhere, but I can't figure it out. Another free standing building might have been a Miller's department store auto repair place... I'll have to check with my mother on that. Maybe the other free standing building northwest of the mall was the A&P. Deane Hill Golf course is in the upper left... front 9.

It looks like Ray Mears Blvd might be under construction to the right.

Those power line towers are massive. I think the lines originate at Fort Loudon Dam.

Last edited:
the lap.

the library.

hawkeyes.

o'charlies on the strip.

charlie peppers.

OCI (i think it was gone last time i was there)

the longbranch

probably all have been mentioned. none should be forgotten. RIP "The Strip".
Those were around when the strip had a personality and some dirt on it. Looks too sanitized now

Pretty sure the A&P is to the left of the Ray Mears Blvd work. I'm guessing to the right is the tire store. Not sure if it had a previous life.

Looking again, what is the free standing building between the mall and the assisted living "hi-rise"? Don't remember that building at all.

Got a date on that pic or more pics? Love seeing Deane Hill golf course.

There was a HoJo about a block west of the old Ramada. I don't know if that Ramada across from West Town was originally a different chain or not. The Ramada that's been closed for several years is the large building in the lower right corner of the attached picture.

Dean Hill Country Club

That's their greens showing in the bottom left of the photo.

Pretty sure the A&P is to the left of the Ray Mears Blvd work. I'm guessing to the right is the tire store. Not sure if it had a previous life.

Looking again, what is the free standing building between the mall and the assisted living "hi-rise"? Don't remember that building at all.

Got a date on that pic or more pics? Love seeing Deane Hill golf course.

Sears Auto Center was due south of the mall near the high rise.

The General Earth Food Store
Food Shelter and Hang Gliders

On The Strip where The Sunspot was/is. Run by Art and Architecture students. They had the first smoothies around, as well as being a natural foods store. You could get a house designed or buy a hang glider. :crazy:

They also had the first skate board shop around. Mine came from there. Eventually they became Natures Pantry on Bearden Hill.

I think that the building on the Kingston Pike side of Ray Mears Blvd is the Miller's Department Store Auto Center. The bigger building just south of that probably is the A&P, but I sure don't remember it.

I didn't realize that the theater was a oval. It seemed round when standing outside if it.

The building to the left, pretty certain that it was a Firestone... but it might have been a Western Auto originally. And as I mentioned above, the building at the top was the Sears Auto Center. It was across the parking lot from the Sears store (the white roofed, two story section of the mall).

It's kind of confusing perspective-wise. South is to the top which is opposite of normal maps.

VN Store

Back