Giles a Vol?

Hardesty arrived at 6'0, 190. Coker was 5'10" 184.

At 210 pounds last year (a full 32 pounds heavier than Giles), Hardesty still got injured constantly. Coker was also injury prone, and he was never an every down back. Those were wonderful examples to support your argument.

At 210 pounds last year (a full 32 pounds heavier than Giles), Hardesty still got injured constantly. Coker was also injury prone, and he was never an every down back. Those were wonderful examples to support your argument.

Nobody is saying Giles is SEC ready 178

How far has our program sunk when we're using Kentucky's team as our model for building a successful team?

Did I say that?

UK happened to have a pretty good O last year and Locke was one of the biggest surprises in the SEC. He was regarded as a track guy but had averaged 5.5 ypc with mostly inside runs... maybe you should watch more football?

Two of those had behavior issues. One had injury and attitude issues. Houston? Who knows? Who makes a pro roster and then just up and quits?

This kid doesn't sound like he comes with that type of baggage... but that wasn't the reason you gave anyway so you basically don't help yourself by listing those guys.

Houston had an undiagnosed thyroid problem while at UT. That kind of thing can really mess you up. I'm amazed he started as many games as he did with such an ailment. Another thing about Cedric, I don't think Randy Sanders utilized him very well. I really think he could have been a much better back if we'd tweaked things around him a bit.

Reggie Bush:200 Darren McFadden:205 Felix Jones:200

McFadden played at about 215 if I'm not mistaken... but then again he's 3" taller than Giles.

I know it was already posted, but he is over the 180 mark. He made the entire staff come in the training room and witness it. He'll be fine in the mighty SEC.

If the guy comes in at 185 for the start of his freshman year, then some conversations can be started about his weight. Until then, this has turned into one of the dumbest threads.
Great pick-up by the Vols. Him and Gerald Jones in the backfield could be scary.

First off the reason why Hardesty gets hurt so much because of his running style not his weight, and second Giles still has another year in HS so he could gain another 10 pounds at least. I just get tired of you guys bitching about everything.

First off the reason why Hardesty gets hurt so much because of his running style not his weight, and second Giles still has another year in HS so he could gain another 10 pounds at least. I just get tired of you guys bitching about everything.
It has to do with both his running style and his weight. He doesn't have the size to run like he does and do it with out injury problems. Bigger backs can do that, smaller ones not so much.

But Giles doesn't run like that.
It doesn't matter because he will still take a beating if he is going to be an every down back. Hardesty took his beatings being a secondary back. A 195-200 pound back (what he would be if he gained 10-15 pounds) usually don't hold up throughout a season of 20+ carry games.

CJ Spiller:190 Got less than half the carries on his team
Steve Slaton:190 Doesn't take near the beating that a back in a pro style offense does
Ian Johnson:198 Something tells me running in the SEC is a little tougher than running in the WAC
Allen Patrick:196 Got about 1/3 of his teams carries

Montario Hardesty could have weighed anywhere between 90 and 500 pounds and it would have had zero effect on the knee injury he sustained in 2005.

CJ Spiller:190 Got less than half the carries on his team
Steve Slaton:190 Doesn't take near the beating that a back in a pro style offense does
Ian Johnson:198 Something tells me running in the SEC is a little tougher than running in the WAC
Allen Patrick:196 Got about 1/3 of his teams carries

Last season Foster had 53% of UT's carries because of injuries, dismisals and youth at the position.

In 2006 our leading rusher in terms of carries had 28% of the rushes.

2005-45%
2004-37%
2003-32%
2002-29%

You act as though we don't spread the ball around but the fact of the matter is barring major injury problems he will probably never be asked to carry the ball much more than a third of the time.

The kid is EXACTLY the listed height and weight of Harvin...

There are guys that play very successfully at 5'11", 195. He'll probably gain that within the first year if not more.

You said that size would force this kid to play WR... you are dead wrong.

Excellent point. This coaching staff and fan base has been very biased in the past about the mold that players should fit. And at the same time other schools have taken advantage or our bias.

We left a LB on the table several years ago and took a dud in Daniel Brooks. That young man went to Ole Miss and made all SEC and was a top draft pick.

Also, Dale Jones would have never had a chance to play for the Vols during the last 10 years. Regardless of his bleeding orange heart, he would have never fit Fulmer's mold.

VN Store

Back