Game Thread: Tennessee (14-7, 7-2 SEC) @ Alabama Crimson Tide (18-6, 5-4 SEC), 7:00 PM (EST), Live Stream SECN+

I am as disappointed as anyone in the loss to Alabama. The box score was pretty even except for shooting percentages. When Jackson, Spear and Wynn all have bad shooting nights we will lose games like this.
But, I am much more disgusted with the football, one time, fly by, jerk posters who have unloaded on our coaches, players and the guy who sells popcorn! Where are these supposed fans when Kellie makes great halftime adjustments and we have a great second half come back, where are they when Spear is co-sec player of the week with two great offensive performances, how about when Rikea has 30 point and 10+ rebounds? We never hear from these sorry a$$hats then. So I guess Spear had heart last week but not this week. Wynn was motivated two weeks ago when she had a career best game now evidently she’s lazy.
Some regular posters on here feel the need to jump on the bandwagon with these jokes which is really unbelievable.
If these flybys can’t give credit where credit is due as well then they have zero credibility and should shut their pie holes!
So you’re disappointed in Tennessee fans being upset when we lose. I’d be disappointed if they didn’t care if we lost. Resort to calling them names but they are somehow the bad ones.

She’s also been inconsistent in our losses

FSU 18
IU 5
ND 11
OSU 0
MTSU 3
AM. 11
OM. 30
Bama 5
Jewel did lead scoring against Oklahoma w 16 and that’s turned out to be a big win, esp without Rickea. Jewel had a good start, but mostly struggled once Rickea went out. Glad she’s fired back up, sure hope she stays hot.

I see a lot of small talk about Jewel Spear from this and that fan.. as I said from the start, Jewel Spear former ACC leading scorer and 2X Team USA member is elite.

Case closed.

Lets go!!
Lets GBO🍊.

I see a lot of small talk about Jewel Spear from this and that fan.. as I said from the start, Jewel Spear former ACC leading scorer and 2X Team USA member is elite.

Case closed.

Lets go!!
Lets GBO🍊.
Her past accolades didn’t help with 5 points against Bama. Solid player but our definition of elite is way off from each other.

Jewel did lead scoring against Oklahoma w 16 and that’s turned out to be a big win, esp without Rickea. Jewel had a good start, but mostly struggled once Rickea went out. Glad she’s fired back up, sure hope she stays hot.
Not to mention played really well against the bottom of the SEC.

Ya'll know I have to defend me and game buddy's fave. KJH often reminds that standards for RJ are so high that an "off" game for her is a career day for many Saying she hasn't risen to the occasion since coming back is pretty unfair. It is fair to say she's had a couple of uncharacteristic bad games, and a few recent lackluster second halfs. But in some of those halves, Jewel was going off and RJ correctly deferred to her when her own shot wasn't falling. In another of those halves, she had a double double before getting sick. I think subconsciously, any game RJs not leading scorer seems like an "off" game, as does any where she misses several shots in a row.

Not sure which of our SEC wins would have happened without RJ, and all happened with max defensive pressure on her.
Auburn - 24/19, a great game for her and we def don't win w/o her.
Ky - 27/7; Jewel had 21 and I guess she could have gotten 40, but realistically we don't win w/o RJ
Fla - 18/8; Jewel and Sara both had 20, but not sure who else would have provided RJ's numbers
TAM - 10/1; probably the worst game of her career. Flu?
Miss St - 19/7 big bounceback in hostile territory and we def don't win w/o her.
Vandy - 16/10 double double in 3 qtrs before getting sick; again, maybe Jewel scores 50 but . . .
Ole Miss - 15/6 on 7-14 shooting, that's not enough shots but again deferred to Jewel. Subpar game for her.
Georgia - 21/6/5 asst - another nice bounceback game
Missu - 19/5 all in first half, could not hit a shot in 2nd but still shot 8-14 and gave up shots to red hot Jewel.
Ala - 13/6, an ugly ass 7 t.o.s, 6-16 shooting which for her is awful, probably her second worst game as an LV.

While we probably would have won some of the 3 we lost with RJ's usual performance, it's terrifying to think what our SEC record would be without her. And her stats don't seem all that disappointing: 18 pts, 8 rebs on 46% fg shooting, 30% 3 pt, 77% ft. She's our leading rebounder by a ton, the next closest is Jill and Sara at 5.

That said, consistency and efficiency have been the cornerstones of RJ's career and it does feel like she has been less of each lately. Also, the turnovers have been straight up appalling. I agree that unless she goes wild this last stretch (please lord) she's not in the conversation for national awards and possibly not even first team All SEC. But doesn't that kind of seem like she's a victim of her own high standards?

Fair points all. The burden of expectations can weigh heavy but I don't think it was completely unrealistic for RJ's impact this season to be closer to the stratosphere occupied by Clarke and freshman Watkins or Paige B. in her freshman year.

You might say that is totally unfair!! But why? RJ is a top 5 WNBA prospect, players like that tend to dominate their opposition.

She opened the season at that level against team USA and FL St. then came the injury setback, illnesses, and her asthma issues.

RJ is human, she is giving it her all, and still delivering at a high level but the real accolades accrue to those players who can put the team on their backs in the clutch.

I write this as I am kicking myself for writing it because I don't want it to seem like I casting blame on RJ for the team's underperformances. That is a team problem but in the preseason, we were all saying that RJ could be up there with Candace. Catch, and Chamique in the lady vols pantheon.

RJ has shown flashes of that kind of brilliance but game in game out she has not been at that level. She a bit closer to Diamond or Kara Lawson than Candace (and that is still pretty rarefied air).

Slightly related note- Did you see CP3 is coming back next season with the Aces?

Last edited:
Fair points all. The burden of expectations can weigh heavy but I don't think it was completely unrealistic for RJ's impact this season to be closer to the stratosphere occupied by Clarke and freshman Watkins or Paige B. in her freshman year.

You might say that is totally unfair!! But why? RJ is a top 5 WNBA prospect, players like that tend to dominate their opposition.

She opened the season at that level against team USA and FL St. then came the injury setback, illnesses, and her asthma issues.

RJ is human, she is giving it her all, and still delivering at a high level but the real accolades accrue to those players who can put the team on their backs in the clutch.

I write this as I am kicking myself for writing it because I don't want it to seem like I casting blame on RJ for the team's underperformances. That is a team problem but in the preseason, we were all saying that RJ could be up there with Candace. Catch, and Chamique in the lady vols pantheon.

RJ has shown flashes of that kind of brilliance but game in game out she has not been at that level. She a bit closer to Diamond or Kara Lawson than Candace (and that is still pretty rarefied air).

Slightly related note- Did you see CP3 is coming back next season with the Aces?
That's a fair assessment. The truth is probably somewhere btw Candace/Chamique and "didn't rise to the occasion". I still think RJ has the best raw offensive talent of anyone we've had since CP3. And I shudder to think where we'd be if she hadn't been able to return fm the injury.

She was playing at the highest level when she first came back, really thru the Florida "benedryl" game. That's when she started missing shots we're use to seeing her make. Her shots on her spots, even layups. We've never before seen her go whole halves where she just couldn't get a shot to go down. I was actually surprised her fg% was still 46%. That's also when the turnovers started piling up.

She's also missed some crucial shots that would have won games, like at Fla St and Ole Miss. And her worst games, like TAM and Bama, have been the worst we've seen her have. I'm also disappointed her 3 pt shooting hasn't been better; she's 30%, I was hoping for something closer to 35%. I think that's really going to be important for her in the W.

But hey, there's still time! Not much, but some. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to see RJ raise the roof late in the season.

Last edited:
I did see that. Not sure what she'll contribute, and sadly, they really don't need her anymore. But hopefully she'll close out her career on a healthy and happy note. I really don't like the Aces, they're too much the overdog plus their hybrid So Car/Aces fans and Aja Wilson cult are just insufferable! I do like Jackie Young alot though.

ya
I am as disappointed as anyone in the loss to Alabama. The box score was pretty even except for shooting percentages. When Jackson, Spear and Wynn all have bad shooting nights we will lose games like this.
But, I am much more disgusted with the football, one time, fly by, jerk posters who have unloaded on our coaches, players and the guy who sells popcorn! Where are these supposed fans when Kellie makes great halftime adjustments and we have a great second half come back, where are they when Spear is co-sec player of the week with two great offensive performances, how about when Rikea has 30 point and 10+ rebounds? We never hear from these sorry a$$hats then. So I guess Spear had heart last week but not this week. Wynn was motivated two weeks ago when she had a career best game now evidently she’s lazy.
Some regular posters on here feel the need to jump on the bandwagon with these jokes which is really unbelievable.
If these flybys can’t give credit where credit is due as well then they have zero credibility and should shut their pie holes!
bad shooting true...... but why were we outrebounded? We have better players than Alabama nobody will argue that.... but they beat us pretty well.... as you do not like the bashing..... neither do i.... but sometimes it is deserved.... we look disinterested on the floor and disorganized.... we need to play defense better.... we gave up over 90 points to Florida State we lost to Middle Tennessee... wow....

It is difficult to find joy in loss to Mississippi yes Spear scored 30 points great yet we were outrebounded 38 to 30 and beaten by a team most consider beneath us i do not blame fans for being frustrated

ya

bad shooting true...... but why were we outrebounded? We have better players than Alabama nobody will argue that.... but they beat us pretty well.... as you do not like the bashing..... neither do i.... but sometimes it is deserved.... we look disinterested on the floor and disorganized.... we need to play defense better.... we gave up over 90 points to Florida State we lost to Middle Tennessee... wow....

It is difficult to find joy in loss to Mississippi yes Spear scored 30 points great yet we were outrebounded 38 to 30 and beaten by a team most consider beneath us i do not blame fans for being frustrated
We were out rebounded 42 to 39. We had 12 TOs they had 15. You made my point right there. They out rebounded us which you mentioned but crickets regarding TOs.
Bashing is never deserved. Your comment that we looked disinterested is an example of fly by comments made by folks with no idea or at least no respect for the commitment these players and staff make to this program.

We were out rebounded 42 to 39. We had 12 TOs they had 15. You made my point right there. They out rebounded us which you mentioned but crickets regarding TOs.
Bashing is never deserved. Your comment that we looked disinterested is an example of fly by comments made by folks with no idea or at least no respect for the commitment these players and staff make to this program.
A quick search has shown Bill has been a regular on the board. So not sure “fly by comments” is exact but don’t let that take away from your deflection. Those posters seem to care more about the direction of the program than those who glaze over and tolerate the results.

Reactions: Dansky
Did the men's game against A&M last night look familiar to Lady Vol fans? Playing on the road in the SEC is tough, no matter how good you are.

BTW, the men's team now has the same 7-3 conference record as the women. Maybe some of you negas should spend your time posting in the men's forum and see how that works out for you.

Did the men's game against A&M last night look familiar to Lady Vol fans? Playing on the road in the SEC is tough, no matter how good you are.

BTW, the men's team now has the same 7-3 conference record as the women. Maybe some of you negas should spend your time posting in the men's forum and see how that works out for you.
Might have the same record but want be begging teams to lose so they can get in the tournament and Barnes hasn’t lost to all the teams ranked either

Playing for a 1-3 seed, not a maybe get into the tournament seed. But solid deflection of “whataboutism”

BTW, the NVs and others (specifically the SEC fan club and delusional SC fans) will be disappearing for a while in the near future once the LVs expose these overrated college AAU teams on Rocky Top!

You don’t want to miss this!

BTW, the NVs and others (specifically the SEC fan club and delusional SC fans) will be disappearing for a while in the near future once the LVs expose these overrated college AAU teams on Rocky Top!

You don’t want to miss this!
Down 15 pts to a trash team at this point in the season is a wrap.
At one point, I hadn’t watch a women’s college basketball game in about 10 years. I’m probably a few weeks away from another hiatus. The coach does not have a winner’s presence. It’s sad because a lot of these current players and the recruits truly love Tennessee program. But the you can’t be successful without a good leader. Tennessee doesn’t have a good leader. Maybe a nice person but not a leader.
This you? You staying or going? Pocket that NV talk while you figure out your Jekyll and Hyde personality.

i double checked the box score 38 to 30 being outrebounded that badly by Ole Miss perhaps deserves some "bashing" others call it constructive criticism

If you consider my comments a lack of respect, then i apologize

Why apologize? She’s the sunshine pumper type that is nauseating

Yes thank you kindly I really do not keep intricate track of individual posters and of course this is an opinion board not a blind fan board where thoughts should be open as long as not offensive i thank you for your supportive thoughts!!!

I just can't watch this program play much anymore but I do still hope that they win. It's insane the program is in jeopardy of missing the tournament.

Reactions: Remy
She also tosses out directed insults to posters who don’t hold the same view.
yes thank you as said i do not keep track of individual posters though i am familiar with coach jumper a couple of others communication and opinions should be ok as long as not mean spirited!!

VN Store

Back