Game Thread: Tennessee (14-7, 7-2 SEC) @ Alabama Crimson Tide (18-6, 5-4 SEC), 7:00 PM (EST), Live Stream SECN+

But one thing I did notice during the portal period is Rickea was never there when the recruits came to visit, I always looked to see but I didn’t see her at all.
She was at one visit for sure bc she livestreamed fm Sam's office while they were playing around w the gear for the recruit photo shoot. Notice that JP is usually not in the actual recruit photos either; I think they include players the recruit will actually be playing with.
RJ was also pictured at a couple of football games when they took recruits.

She has continued to appear for the LVBHC, though she doesn't really need them anymore since signing with the big LA agency back in the summer. Was at their big event a couple of weeks ago at Neyland, and is doing Valentine's voiceovers for them now. Ya'll can get a voiceover to your Valentine from one of several players, see the LVBHC website if your sweetie would rather hear it from them than you.

Last edited:
It's a culture problem, they don't expect to win. Even in games when you're off or outmatched at certain positions teams that expect to win often overcome, teams that don't lose.

The culture is also dependent on the quality of players on the court from starter to bench player. Harper hasn't been able to recruit the pieces she needs to change the culture. If she hasn't then she won't.
Expect to win vs. Hope to win

You know the difference when you see it, of which team is which.

Knox ,I have complained about Tess Darby for three years now.....she is only good as a spot up shooter as you indicate can not create her own shot and cannot guard a fence post . Not athletic enough to guard the fast/quick SEC players .I have never understood why she gets so much playing time.....she is a liability both on offense and defense and has been for 3+ years.
If I remember correctly Darby is the first player Kellie signed when she became the coach at UT. Probably some loyalty between the two. Just guessing.

There is a lot of pressure on RJ but she has not been rising to the occasion since she came back from her injury. She had 3 or 4 straight games where she has had good first half and then becomes a non-factor in the 2nd half.
Ya'll know I have to defend me and game buddy's fave. KJH often reminds that standards for RJ are so high that an "off" game for her is a career day for many Saying she hasn't risen to the occasion since coming back is pretty unfair. It is fair to say she's had a couple of uncharacteristic bad games, and a few recent lackluster second halfs. But in some of those halves, Jewel was going off and RJ correctly deferred to her when her own shot wasn't falling. In another of those halves, she had a double double before getting sick. I think subconsciously, any game RJs not leading scorer seems like an "off" game, as does any where she misses several shots in a row.

Not sure which of our SEC wins would have happened without RJ, and all happened with max defensive pressure on her.
Auburn - 24/19, a great game for her and we def don't win w/o her.
Ky - 27/7; Jewel had 21 and I guess she could have gotten 40, but realistically we don't win w/o RJ
Fla - 18/8; Jewel and Sara both had 20, but not sure who else would have provided RJ's numbers
TAM - 10/1; probably the worst game of her career. Flu?
Miss St - 19/7 big bounceback in hostile territory and we def don't win w/o her.
Vandy - 16/10 double double in 3 qtrs before getting sick; again, maybe Jewel scores 50 but . . .
Ole Miss - 15/6 on 7-14 shooting, that's not enough shots but again deferred to Jewel. Subpar game for her.
Georgia - 21/6/5 asst - another nice bounceback game
Missu - 19/5 all in first half, could not hit a shot in 2nd but still shot 8-14 and gave up shots to red hot Jewel.
Ala - 13/6, an ugly ass 7 t.o.s, 6-16 shooting which for her is awful, probably her second worst game as an LV.

While we probably would have won some of the 3 we lost with RJ's usual performance, it's terrifying to think what our SEC record would be without her. And her stats don't seem all that disappointing: 18 pts, 8 rebs on 46% fg shooting, 30% 3 pt, 77% ft. She's our leading rebounder by a ton, the next closest is Jill and Sara at 5.

That said, consistency and efficiency have been the cornerstones of RJ's career and it does feel like she has been less of each lately. Also, the turnovers have been straight up appalling. I agree that unless she goes wild this last stretch (please lord) she's not in the conversation for national awards and possibly not even first team All SEC. But doesn't that kind of seem like she's a victim of her own high standards?

Last edited:
Ya'll know I have to defend me and game buddy's fave. KJH often reminds that standards for RJ are so high that an "off" game for her is a career day for many Saying she hasn't risen to the occasion since coming back is pretty unfair. It is fair to say she's had a couple of uncharacteristic bad games, and recent lackluster second halfs. But in some of those halves, Jewel was going off and in one RJ got sick. RJ missed some shots in those second halfs and then began deferring to Jewel, as she should. Not forcing her own stats.

Not sure which of our SEC wins would have happened without RJ:
Ky - 27/7; Jewel had 21 and I guess she could have gotten 40, but realistically we don't win w/o RJ
Fla - 18/8; Jewel and Sara both had 20, but not sure who else would have provided RJ's numbers
Miss St - big bounceback w 19/7 and we def don't win w/o her.
Vandy - 16/10 double double in 3 qtrs before getting sick; again, maybe Jewel scores 50 but . . .
Ole Miss - 15/6 on 7-14 shooting, that's not enough shots but again deferred to Jewel. Below her usual scoring production.
Missu - 19/5 all in first half, could not hit a shot in 2nd but still shot 8-14
Ala - 13/6, an ugly ass 7 t.o.s, 6-16 shooting which for her is awful, probably her second worst game as an LV.

Truthfully, while we probably would have won some of the 3 we lost with her usual performance, it's terrifying to think what our SEC record would be without her. And her stats don't seem all that disappointing: 18 pts, 8 rebs on 46% fg shooting, 30% 3 pt, 77% ft. She's our leading rebounder by a ton, the next closest is Jill and Sara at 5.

I think subconsciously, any game RJs not leading scorer seems like an "off" game That said, consistency and efficiency have been the cornerstones of RJ's career and it does feel like she has been less of each lately. Also, the turnovers have been straight up appalling. I agree that unless she goes wild this last stretch (please lord) she's not in the conversation for national awards and possibly not even first team All SEC. But doesn't that kind of seem like she's a victim of her own high standards?
I'm expecting one of her biggest games this season against Arkansas. I think she scores over 20 might go for 30.

I'm expecting one of her biggest games this season against Arkansas. I think she scores over 20 might go for 30.
I actually said that against Bama so I'm never saying it again. She did light up Arky last yr for about 28, I remember Neighbors saying post game he was SO glad to finally see her gone. Surprise!

Kellie said postgame against Missu her game plan was give RJ the ball on the block and get out of the way. Got her 19 first half pts. Not sure why the game plan wasn't the same against Bama. She was out way too high way too often.

I actually said that against Bama so I'm never saying it again. She did light up Arky last yr for about 28, I remember Neighbors saying post game he was SO glad to finally see her gone. Surprise!

Kellie said postgame against Missu her game plan was give RJ the ball on the block and get out of the way. Got her 19 first half pts. Not sure why the game plan wasn't the same against Bama. She was out way too high way too often.
I had the Bama game figured out just from past trips down there. Holly could never beat them and Kellie has lost two in a row down there. This team and RJ are just not the same team on the road as they are at home.

She was at one visit for sure bc she livestreamed fm Sam's office while they were playing around w the gear for the recruit photo shoot. Notice that JP is usually not in the actual recruit photos either; I think they include players the recruit will actually be playing with.
RJ was also pictured at a couple of football games when they took recruits.

She has continued to appear for the LVBHC, though she doesn't really need them anymore since signing with the big LA agency back in the summer. Was at their big event a couple of weeks ago at Neyland, and is doing Valentine's voiceovers for them now. Ya'll can get a voiceover to your Valentine from one of several players, see the LVBHC website if your sweetie would rather hear it from them than you.
I guess you’re right, I just didn’t notice it at the time. I know the elite players have pull with recruits, they either played with them at one time or the recruits respect their game and wouldn’t mind joining them. Maybe it was more behind the scenes, instead of what I saw with other teams where I saw videos with them together and the recruits saying that the best players were actively trying to get them on their team. I guess everyone does it differently.

Okay, let's separate fan indignity from actual descriptions of events. You make it seem like someone lied to RJ. I am sure she believed that the team would be very competitive this season, with the addition of Spear, Wells and the return of Tamari.

The hype has not materialized. There is a lot of pressure on RJ but she has not been rising to the occasion since she came back from her injury. She had 3 or 4 straight games where she has had good first half and then becomes a non-factor in the 2nd half.

I wonder if she 100% or is playing through something (on top of her asthma issues)

RJ is not the main problem but every one expecting the LVs to be contenders anticipated RJ playing at a consistent A-A level. Right now, she is not in the conversation for being a top 5 player in WCBB (based strictly on performance).

The whole team is underperforming but this is not just something that has just "happened" to Rickea.
I would say the main reason is plays aren’t run for her that gets her open. What I see is the players not looking for her during stretches, too many possessions without her getting the ball, and when she dies gets it I notice she might force it. I have no problem with her being on the wing sometimes but I think it’s too much for her skill set, watch when she catches the ball behind the 3 point line, nobody ever comes and screens for her.

While RJ (and the team's) worst games have been on the road, she (and we) were outstanding at Auburn, Miss St and Georgia.
When she has the right matchups doesn't matter where were playing. Arkansas is a favorable matchup for her. A&M she looked sick so can understand the play there. Had her shots at Bama just kept missing to many. Auburn someone lit a fire under them at halftime everyone had it going. Miss St had a low energy game when they played us got that lead and then lost their energy couldn't get it back. Georgia is overmatched even if we did try to let them back in the game.

When you make shots, you are put into a better defensive position, and the teams's confidence and energy goes up and you have a virtuous cycle.

For the LVs, when you are getting stops, as they did in the woefully low scoring 1st quarter, but your own shots keep rattling out (and on the road), after a while that lack of offensive success starts to take a toll.

Now, if this team had a strong defensive identity to fall back on, they might weather bad shooting nights with more aplomb. As it stands, it seems like their defensive energy feeds off their offensive success.

They scored the same in all the quarters! Why do you mention the 1st quarter like it is an outlier ?

Ya'll know I have to defend me and game buddy's fave. KJH often reminds that standards for RJ are so high that an "off" game for her is a career day for many Saying she hasn't risen to the occasion since coming back is pretty unfair. It is fair to say she's had a couple of uncharacteristic bad games, and a few recent lackluster second halfs. But in some of those halves, Jewel was going off and RJ correctly deferred to her when her own shot wasn't falling. In another of those halves, she had a double double before getting sick. I think subconsciously, any game RJs not leading scorer seems like an "off" game, as does any where she misses several shots in a row.

Not sure which of our SEC wins would have happened without RJ, and all happened with max defensive pressure on her.
Miss St - 19/7 big bounceback in hostile territory and we def don't win w/o her.
Ole Miss - 15/6 on 7-14 shooting, that's not enough shots but again deferred to Jewel. Subpar game for her.
Missu - 19/5 all in first half, could not hit a shot in 2nd but still shot 8-14 and gave up shots to red hot Jewel.

While we probably would have won some of the 3 we lost with RJ's usual performance, it's terrifying to think what our SEC record would be without her. And her stats don't seem all that disappointing: 18 pts, 8 rebs on 46% fg shooting, 30% 3 pt, 77% ft. She's our leading rebounder by a ton, the next closest is Jill and Sara at 5.

That said, consistency and efficiency have been the cornerstones of RJ's career and it does feel like she has been less of each lately. Also, the turnovers have been straight up appalling. I agree that unless she goes wild this last stretch (please lord) she's not in the conversation for national awards and possibly not even first team All SEC. But doesn't that kind of seem like she's a victim of her own high standards?
What I do not understand is why they do not run plays for her every time down the court ....either low or high post.... which puts her in best position to score with her skill set.Then if she is doubled pass the ball out to Spear or Key cutting to basket.

What I do not understand is why they do not run plays for her every time down the court ....either low or high post.... which puts her in best position to score with her skill set.Then if she is doubled pass the ball out to Spear or Key cutting to basket.

It makes no sense to run plays every time down the court when Jewel Spear is a more efficient scorer.

We talk about RJ injuries/setbacks but ignore the fact that Jewel Spear was in a boot a few weeks before the season and recently has dealt with a hand/wrist injury.

Jewel Spear has been this teams best offensive player in multiple games this season. Just like RJ can open up the offense for other players.. so can Spear.

Lets go!!
Lets GBO🍊

Jewel Spear has been this teams best offensive player in multiple games this season. Just like RJ can open up the offense for other players.. so can Spear.
Again you want to pit players against ea other. Why? We're happy for any and all offensive production. If best offensive player is judged by scoring leader, Jewel has been about 5 times. Unfortunately, only one of those were while Rickea was injured. Understandable, Jewel was new and assimilating, but sure wish it had happened earlier, particularly the Indiana/ND/Ohio St/MTSU stretch where she really struggled.

Also, as far as running plays for the most efficient, RJ and Jewel are pretty even in that department. That seems off bc Jewel has been hot (until Thursday) and RJ has been colder than usual. Jewel is certainly a better 3 pt shooter at 35% to RJ's 31%. But fg % goes to RJ, 46% to 44%. FTs are really close, JS 79% to RJ 76. I say run plays for both and for TK!

Last edited:
It makes no sense to run plays every time down the court when Jewel Spear is a more efficient scorer.

We talk about RJ injuries/setbacks but ignore the fact that Jewel Spear was in a boot a few weeks before the season and recently has dealt with a hand/wrist injury.

Lets go!!
Lets GBO🍊

Why does Barnes run plays for Knecht when Vescovi is the more "efficient" scorer?

Spot on, AV

The sets Barnes is running for Knecht, Vescovi, and Adoo would translate and would be nearly unstoppable.

What I don't understand is if a play is successful, why don't you run it until it is stopped. Likewise, when in a timeout to stop a run, run the successful play to get a positive result. Surely, the offense has one successful play?

Lets go!!
Lets GBO🍊
She’s also been inconsistent in our losses

FSU 18
IU 5
ND 11
OSU 0
MTSU 3
AM. 11
OM. 30
Bama 5

Why does Barnes run plays for Knecht when Vescovi is the more "efficient" scorer?

Jewel Spear is the teams best ball handler and best shooter. She can also draw fouls.

I wouldn’t run plays every time on offense for RJ or Spear.. I would let their matchup dictate the situation but that takes more effort than the staff puts into offense.

They base everything on rebounding and playing through the post without having a dominant rebounder or post player on the roster.

RJ is the only player that can score consistently from the post on the roster. Sara is a good three point shooter and can be effective with the mid-range shot but they are forcing her to post up in some sets where she struggles.

Karo was heading towards being a deadly three point shooter but she’s out of rhythm since averaging double figures early in the season from the staff persistence in forcing her to play at the 5 spot.

RJ is the most versatile scorer in the SEC and one of the best in WBB but her strength is not post play.

She definitely has to earn every point she gets in this offense. So does Jewel Spear.

They need an entirely new offensive philosophy to take advantage of either RJ or Jewel skill set.

Tennessee has quality offensive options but no identity at all and this is due to coaching.

Reactions: madtownvol
Jewel Spear is the teams best ball handler and best shooter. She can also draw fouls.

I wouldn’t run plays every time on offense for RJ or Spear.. I would let their matchup dictate the situation but that takes more effort than the staff puts into offense.

They base everything on rebounding and playing through the post without having a dominant rebounder or post player on the roster.

RJ is the only player that can score consistently from the post on the roster. Sara is a good three point shooter and can be effective with the mid-range shot but they are forcing her to post up in some sets where she struggles.

Karo was heading towards being a deadly three point shooter but she’s out of rhythm since averaging double figures early in the season from the staff persistence in forcing her to play at the 5 spot.

RJ is the most versatile scorer in the SEC and one of the best in WBB but her strength is not post play.

She definitely has to earn every point she gets in this offense. So does Jewel Spear.

They need an entirely new offensive philosophy to take advantage of either RJ or Jewel skill set.

Tennessee has quality offensive options but no identity at all and this is due to coaching.
due to coaching.
NegaVol

I am as disappointed as anyone in the loss to Alabama. The box score was pretty even except for shooting percentages. When Jackson, Spear and Wynn all have bad shooting nights we will lose games like this.
But, I am much more disgusted with the football, one time, fly by, jerk posters who have unloaded on our coaches, players and the guy who sells popcorn! Where are these supposed fans when Kellie makes great halftime adjustments and we have a great second half come back, where are they when Spear is co-sec player of the week with two great offensive performances, how about when Rikea has 30 point and 10+ rebounds? We never hear from these sorry a$$hats then. So I guess Spear had heart last week but not this week. Wynn was motivated two weeks ago when she had a career best game now evidently she’s lazy.
Some regular posters on here feel the need to jump on the bandwagon with these jokes which is really unbelievable.
If these flybys can’t give credit where credit is due as well then they have zero credibility and should shut their pie.

I’ll say this Coach, this team can do better. It’s a lot that has to change before the next game. We’ll see what happens!

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back