Game Thread: Lady Vols Vs Florida; Thursday 6:30 PM @ TBA; SEC+ LVs 74-56 win

But why jump to that conclusion. People have been screaming (metaphorically) that Kellie needs to cut the rotation down to let a core group build cohesiveness. That change also necessitates that not everyone on the roster is going to see a lot of playing time. Miles, Pissott, Wynn all had cameos in the last game. They are not being shown the door. It just not their time right now. You are free to post whatever you want but others are free to call out the fallacies in such unfounded speculation.
Like I said both will be players for us next season if they stay and two both find a better offensive game. You can't let players that aren't huge scoring threats a lot of minutes. They may choose to leave in the portal after the season, but if that happens so be it we are trying to win now. The rotation we have isn't exactly the best we can do, but it is working for wins so we'll keep doing it.

here's the thing every player who is receiving minutes has gotten signficantly better since day 1. All of them. That is a clear sign that players and coaches are on the same track. i don't know if we win every big game remaining on the schedule, but i do think we will be one of the toughest 5 teams going into the march tourney. that's the focus of this team.

There's being vocal and there's being an ahole, esp to your own team. Of course Reese called it being leaderly, but she was being the opposite, emotionally out of control. The LVs don't do that publically and I def don't want to see RJ doing it. She's already a magnet for such criticism. Just let her play!

I was going more by the goings on in the kiss and cry area at the end of the bench, now known as the Rickea Jackson chair of excellence. Jon and Kellie both made individual trips after she came out, Kellie for a sit down chat. Both seemed more encouraging and comforting than fussing, and both ended with hugs, pats, etc. There was also a long one on one w Coach Sam btw quarters. There was alot of face in towel as well. But she seemed fine after the game, had a great post game pressor, said she took an elbow to the head fm Franklin so maybe that was it. And maybe that's why Franklin worked on the RJ lashes for awhile, felt responsible.

The hug when JP came out was everything. JH posted something the other day about the value of a coach who stays on your side even when you're struggling. Apparently that's one of KJH strong points and the players clearly appreciate it.
I didn’t like when she yelled at her team saying I need help I can’t do it by myself.

angel reese is either going to a great player in the WNBA or just another one of those super talented players who no one else wants to play with b/c of attitude issues. the list is long...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Like I said both will be players for us next season if they stay and two both find a better offensive game. You can't let players that aren't huge scoring threats a lot of minutes. They may choose to leave in the portal after the season, but if that happens so be it we are trying to win now. The rotation we have isn't exactly the best we can do, but it is working for wins so we'll keep doing it.

I think they both have some potential. Wynn probably more because she a bigger guard. I always felt that Wynn if she really committed to it, could be a Kyra Elzy defensive stopper. The current team make-up does not have a lot of consistent offensive firepower outside of Rickea, so I agree, the team can't afford to have players who pose very little offensive threat.

When people talk about Key's absence, they understandably note the defensive gap she leaves but last season, she showed some greatly improved post moves and an ability to hit a 12-15 foot shot. If she had improved that part of her game (which I assume she had), her presence could have also been huge on the offensive side. Hollingshead's post game is a work in progress but her moves are looking better. If she could become a consistent scored down low by tournament time, that would be a huge plus for this team.

And Justine is looking more and more like she could be an X factor toward the end of the season.

Speaking of Pissott,,,she looked much better on her defensive stance,,,less vertical and more mobile,,,also she did an upfake-to a midrange stop-n-pop

Much better by my personal barometer,,,being,,,"point total matching minutes played"

She has looked much better here as the season has gone along --- certainly much better than in her all-star games. And it is nice to see she has that midrange game to go along with the deep ball. If she keeps improving at this rate she is going to be very good because I can see progress in defense and rebounding, which were the weakest parts of her game. Still a long ways to go in those aspects, but you can tell she has been working on them.

I think they both have some potential. Wynn probably more because she a bigger guard. I always felt that Wynn if she really committed to it, could be a Kyra Elzy defensive stopper. The current team make-up does not have a lot of consistent offensive firepower outside of Rickea, so I agree, the team can't afford to have players who pose very little offensive threat.

When people talk about Key's absence, they understandably note the defensive gap she leaves but last season, she showed some greatly improved post moves and an ability to hit a 12-15 foot shot. If she had improved that part of her game (which I assume she had), her presence could have also been huge on the offensive side. Hollingshead's post game is a work in progress but her moves are looking better. If she could become a consistent scored down low by tournament time, that would be a huge plus for this team.

And Justine is looking more and more like she could be an X factor toward the end of the season.
Wynn could be a superstar player she is that athletic. What she did all summer is a mystery. I was expecting a much improved offensive game and it was the same as when she was a freshman. She has the defensive game already. It is her offense that is holding her back. I hope she stays at Tennessee gets a coach and works hard on it for next season because how much she improves that part of her game is her ticket to a lot of playing time.

angel reese is either going to a great player in the WNBA or just another one of those super talented players who no one else wants to play with b/c of attitude issues. the list is long...
I think she will be fine, that Sophie Cunningham girl was one of the dirtiest players in the game and she found a place in the wnba.

16 assists
6 turnovers
and out-rebounded an SEC team taller than us 46-40

View attachment 531994
@Coach Jumper what are your thoughts on the upcoming games with #5 UConn in Knoxville and #3 LSU on the road.
I know that 5 of our 6 losses were on the road and they are all to ranked teams... so the team is obviously getting better .... so ...are you hoping sweep, expecting a split, or thinking we drop them both?

Wynn could be a superstar player she is that athletic. What she did all summer is a mystery. I was expecting a much improved offensive game and it was the same as when she was a freshman. She has the defensive game already. It is her offense that is holding her back. I hope she stays at Tennessee gets a coach and works hard on it for next season because how much she improves that part of her game is her ticket to a lot of playing time.
It would be great if she could be a point guard. With her speed and defense, she has two of the ingredients right now. She isn't an outside shooter, but if she could be coached hard to get some handles and distribute the ball on offense, we might have something.

@Coach Jumper what are your thoughts on the upcoming games with #5 UConn in Knoxville and #3 LSU on the road.
I know that 5 of our 6 losses were on the road and they are all to ranked teams... so the team is obviously getting better .... so ...are you hoping sweep, expecting a split, or thinking we drop them both?

I hope we concentrate on Missouri first. Never an easy out, especially at their place.

Possibly the next Horston if she puts the work in..

Possibly the next Horston if she puts the work in..

Well, that would be awesome. Realistically, that would be a big jump. Wynn has deficiencies not only in shooting but also reading the game. For those who suggest that she could become a PG, that is analogous to saying we will convert our 2nd string cornerback to starting QB.

Wynn is very likely to be a defense-first player and if she can become an adequate offensive player who can hit mid range jump shots at 40% or above, that would be a big jump in her game. Since she is not on the floor a whole, the sample size is small but her defensive is more potential than actuality because she gets caught out of position pretty regularly (back to reading the game). You can compare to Tess who has no where near Wynn's quickness but her positioning is generally spot on.

I am more optimistic that Miles can make the jump but I am rooting for Kaiya to prove my skepticism wrong.

Last edited:
So Pluckett is a huge scoring threat ? So be it ?
My God , we was jumping up and down when they came here before the portal madness
and now " kiss my assets" .
Naw, good thing Tamari and Marta is not available or Kellie would really have rotation problems. Miles and Wynn deserve minutes like anyone else , next year Kellie will be sticking her
greasy hands down into the portal cookie jar again....and again ...and again.
Everything isn't about winning.

expecting a split...

The losses were also early in our season. Right now the players are more accepting of their roles and improving with only temporary setbacks.... RJ may be thinking about the 6th man of the year award as this shows she can not only start and be effective, she can come in off the pine and be equally effective. This ups her stock. And RJ is driven by challenges.

I believe our chances against SC are a little better than against the connies for one reason,,,coaching.

I am 100 behind Coach Kellie, but I also know the "Evil Genius" thinks like I do...And if I know your weakness(es), I WILL exploit them...Kellie will not use a timeout to interrupt a run and if they start running, Gino will put the pedal to the floor. Especially if it is near the end of a quarter, as that is when we never call a timeout, opting to wait for the media timeout.

I believe our team is equal to both teams and I am not convinced that Dawn is that much more savvy than Coach K. That said, it may become a question of "sum of the parts" versus "sum of the parts" and I like UT's "sum". . . I also believe we are = to or better in our players than the connies, but the reluctance to call timeouts coupled with erratic subbing seemingly without purpose gives the edge to the Gino.

We very well could win both, as JH and RL's on-court leadership skills are growing...If we do, it is an over-achievement, a split is expected, losing both would be a disappointment.

Then Cluckett should be on the bench. What a waste on space.

If you are referring to SEC all freshman player Sara Puckett, that comment seems way too disrespectful and scathing and way beyond an analysis of her recent play.

She had a poor shooting night against FL but played good defense and grabbed a few key rebounds and had two nice assists. I agree it would be a big help if she an find her shooting touch. She has been struggling all season.

Her shot looks good, its just not dropping with any consistency.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back