Game Thread: Lady Vols Vs Florida; Thursday 6:30 PM @ TBA; SEC+ LVs 74-56 win

Hope horrid shooting is out of our system for awhile. Rough night at the office for the sophs, Darby, Karo and poor Sara who cannot find the bottom of the net with a compass right now. Another solid game from Walker and hooray for JP! I thought Franklin played really well and it was good to see JH be productive, if not exactly efficient. Defense was pretty darn good though Tess had a rough night and I thought Rimdel got open too much. Not enough Rickea and on a "bad" shooting night she still went over 50% and got the baskets we needed. I think she plays really good D too.

Something was off w RJ tonight though, possibly not feeling well? She was the object of lots of coach love and attention on the bench, esp when she came out the last time. Also Franklin dug something out of RJ's eye or did lash repair or something for a while. Anyway, she needs to play more and be allowed to get and stay in rythmn. Also play more with JH.

Agree. And the smile on JP's face. She really needed this game.

I think our expectations of Rickea have gotten so high that 8 for 15 and a missed FT feels like she much be suffering from a covid-bird flue hybrid. She had a couple of makeable shots rim out or she would have been 20 plus again.

To me the story of the game, other than the LVs shooting 3 for 476 (don't believe the box score. I counted) is the PG play. Jordan Walker continues to be locked in and Powell showed what she can do. Let's give the staff some props for getting her head in the right place.

Double double for Jordan H. Again not great on a shooting % basis but she does so much and works so hard on the defensive side and crashing the boards that she more than compensates. Nice games from the three headed post monster of Striplin, Hollingshead, and Franklin.

Lookin good.....
f7fb02eb-d681-4f83-ba33-bce75b7279e0-KNS_Lady_Vols_basketball_vs._Florida_67.JPG

The thing that I did like about her tonight was she would be getting her teammates in the right place, she was very vocal. That’s so,ethi g I would like to see from Rickea and a lil more fire.
There's being vocal and there's being an ahole, esp to your own team. Of course Reese called it being leaderly, but she was being the opposite, emotionally out of control. The LVs don't do that publically and I def don't want to see RJ doing it. She's already a magnet for such criticism. Just let her play!
I think our expectations of Rickea have gotten so high that 8 for 15 and a missed FT feels like she much be suffering from a covid-bird flue hybrid. She had a couple of makeable shots rim out or she would have been 20 plus again.
I was going more by the goings on in the kiss and cry area at the end of the bench, now known as the Rickea Jackson chair of excellence. Jon and Kellie both made individual trips after she came out, Kellie for a sit down chat. Both seemed more encouraging and comforting than fussing, and both ended with hugs, pats, etc. There was also a long one on one w Coach Sam btw quarters. There was alot of face in towel as well. But she seemed fine after the game, had a great post game pressor, said she took an elbow to the head fm Franklin so maybe that was it. And maybe that's why Franklin worked on the RJ lashes for awhile, felt responsible.
To me the story of the game, other than the LVs shooting 3 for 476 (don't believe the box score. I counted) is the PG play. Jordan Walker continues to be locked in and Powell showed what she can do. Let's give the staff some props for getting her head in the right place.
The hug when JP came out was everything. JH posted something the other day about the value of a coach who stays on your side even when you're struggling. Apparently that's one of KJH strong points and the players clearly appreciate it.

Same. First time I’ve watched them play. And even though she is very talented. Her antics tonight were uncalled for and nerve racking.

I agree, I’ve watched them several times and I thought it was out of hand today.

They jumped out to that lead and then started showing their a** and Arkansas got back in the game. The “too small” hand motions, trash taking and taunting went on all game. Even after the technical.

Hope we humble them.

How Lady Vols basketball made stark defensive turnaround and began shutting down SEC foes
Cora Hall
Knoxville News Sentinel

Hear this story
View Comments
48df37a6-1fa7-4d79-b098-83e041bd69c0-lady_hoops_wright_state_3465_SY.jpg

Lady Vols basketball was ranked No. 11 in scoring defense in the SEC after its first four conference wins.
Tennessee coach Kellie Harper knew that trend wasn't sustainable, so she shared the league stat with her team before they went to Texas A&M.
Since then, the Lady Vols have held every opponent to fewer than 60 points. Tennessee went from allowing 70.1 points per game to an average of 53.7 points the last three wins. The Lady Vols beat Florida 74-56 on Thursday at Thompson-Boling Arena, holding the Gators (12-7, 1-5 SEC) to 11 fewer points than their first win in December.
"It’s a big deal for us," said Jordan Horston, who had two of Tennessee's 11 steals against Florida. "We’re so capable of locking down and stopping people, I’m just glad we’re putting it together."

Jasmine Franklin and Sara Puckett each grabbed a pair of steals, and each of the starters had at least one.
UNDEFEATED IN SEC:Lady Vols basketball relies on defense to win rematch against Florida, moves to 7-0 in SEC
CANDACE PARKER VISIT:'A pretty cool family member': Candace Parker witnesses Lady Vols win in 'Summitt Blue' jerseys
LADY VOLS TRENDING UP:Three reasons for Lady Vols basketball's positive trajectory and 6-0 start to SEC play

The Lady Vols (15-6, 7-0) were disappointed when Harper shared how their defense ranked in the conference. Harper saw their desire to be better, and it has shown in practices since then.
"We really tried to find opportunities in practice to really ramp up our defense," Harper said. "I think we've had individuals improve defensively. I think there have been times that our communication has been better, just little things. And it might just be small increments right now, but that's that's what we need. We've got to keep keep striving to get better."
Rickea Jackson, who scored a team-high 16 points, echoed Harper's statement, contributing their success to a focus on the little things. One area of emphasis has been improving as off-ball defenders.
"I feel like it shows, especially in Tess Darby," Jackson said. "She’s getting tons of steals — she’s not just locking down her man, face guarding her. We’re just helping each other, and I feel like we just really emphasize that in practice and it just shows in the game."
600a9c02-7ea9-40e0-92b6-028143a301e5-KNS_Lady_Vols_basketball_vs._Florida_53.JPG

Besides Darby — who has already matched her previous season-high of 18 steals — there have been other individual improvements. Jackson's highest number of steals in a season is 25 her freshman season. This season, she has already racked up 15. Horston has a team-high 30 steals this season, which is already approaching her previous season-best of 39.
And that's not even mentioning Jordan Walker's consistent production in that category. Walker has the second-most steals on the team with 23.
Steals usually lead to an easy bucket with Tennessee's ability to score in transition. The plays have become even more crucial after the Lady Vols lost 6-foot-6 center Tamari Key for the season due to blood clots in her lungs.
Key averaged 3.5 blocks last season, which were momentum-building plays on defense. Without her, players have stepped up defensively to create those plays in different ways.
d82ea6ae-2f95-4033-9eed-f8e672539c83-KNS_Lady_Vols_basketball_vs._Florida_43.JPG

"Tamari changed the complexion of our defense," Harper said. "She was our anchor down there, and we can play pretty good position and she'd always erase our mistakes. Right now, we're playing pretty good position. But if we make a mistake, we don't always have somebody to erase it.
"So if we can combat that with a few more steals, maybe a charge or two, here and there — and then we've got to be even a little bit better on the on the defensive boards because of that."

Not to Miles!!! Don't understand,unless it's some sort of discipline. Kellie can't be letting players go. We have a shortage next year.
Have you heard something? I don't think its discipline at all, just that Miles and Wynn aren't there offensively yet. Both get used, Wynn more lately, for some quick situational spot duty when we need speedy D. Kellie answered a ? about Justine's mins by saying "It's simply whose playing ahead of them." Another reason Miles mins are down is the New Jordan Walker.

I do think there are some post season decisions to be made. Are they willing to remain backups, though probably moving up the minutes scale? Is it likely either can develop their offensive games enough,? I'm sure anyone with limited and diminishing mins would take a look. Especially halfway thru their careers. Also depends what we do in the portal this year.

I hope both stay because they seem like great teammates and would be quality depth with some further development.

Last edited:
Have you heard something? I don't think its discipline at all, just that Miles and Wynn aren't there offensively yet. Both get used, Wynn more lately, for some quick situational spot duty when we need speedy D.

I do think there are some post season decisions to be made. Are they willing to remain backups, though probably moving up the minutes scale? Is it likely either can develop their offensive games enough,? I'm sure anyone with limited and diminishing mins would take a look. Especially halfway thru their careers. Also depends what we do in the portal this year.

I hope both stay because they seem like great teammates and would be quality depth with some further development.
I think they are not playing because Kellie had to cut the rotation. Miles is playing behind Walker and Powell. Wynn is the last guard. They get in when the game is well in hand not before. I would tell both if they are planning on coming back to Tennessee next season better develop an offensive game. If not they could find themselves in the same situation again. We'll be going for a point guard, two guard, and post at least from the portal.

Yes...and it seems we are showing Miles the door

Stop posting outta pocket crap I like this. Stirring up drama for no reason. If she were being shown the door that would have happened after her arrest.

Have we learned nothing from the TK situation either? People were talking so much crap and the poor girl had BLOOD CLOTS IN HER LUNGS. For all we know BK may have an undisclosed injury.

Stop posting outta pocket crap I like this. Stirring up drama for no reason. If she were being shown the door that would have happened after her arrest.

Have we learned nothing from the TK situation either? People were talking so much crap and the poor girl had BLOOD CLOTS IN HER LUNGS. For all we know BK may have an undisclosed injury.
Ummm. I will post anything I choose..thank you

Let me just say this. I am a big Jasmine Franklin fan and have been since I first watched her play as a frosh with Kellie's MoSt wunderkind. I call her a trifecta player -- a player's player, a coach's player, and a fan's player.

P.S. I have noticed that when Walker and Powell look to pass first, they are more effective, and their shooting seems to improve.

Yes...and it seems we are showing Miles the door

But why jump to that conclusion. People have been screaming (metaphorically) that Kellie needs to cut the rotation down to let a core group build cohesiveness. That change also necessitates that not everyone on the roster is going to see a lot of playing time. Miles, Pissott, Wynn all had cameos in the last game. They are not being shown the door. It just not their time right now. You are free to post whatever you want but others are free to call out the fallacies in such unfounded speculation.

Last edited:
But why jump to that conclusion. People have been screaming (metaphorically) that Kellie needs to cut the rotation down to let a core group build cohesiveness. That always means that not everyone on the roster is going to see a lot of playing time. Miles, Pissott, Wynn all had cameos in the last game. They are not being shown the door. It just not their time right now. You are free to post whatever you want but others are free to call out the fallacies in such unfounded speculation.
Speaking of Pissott,,,she looked much better on her defensive stance,,,less vertical and more mobile,,,also she did an upfake-to a midrange stop-n-pop

Much better by my personal barometer,,,being,,,"point total matching minutes played"

Speaking of Pissott,,,she looked much better on her defensive stance,,,less vertical and more mobile,,,also she did an upfake-to a midrange stop-n-pop

Much better by my personal barometer,,,being,,,"point total matching minutes played"

Looks like she belongs out there now. She's going to be very good!

16 assists
6 turnovers
and out-rebounded an SEC team taller than us 46-40

View attachment 531994

It's amazing! Shows you can win games even when you don't shoot well if you limit TOs, play good D, and rebound. With a decent shooting night for us, we win that game by 40+.

I didn't realize that Striplin fouled out.

VN Store

Back