Game Thread: Lady Vols host Vandy ; Sunday Jan 21, 3PM; SEC Network ;...Win 73-64

Jackson 24
Stripling 17
Spear 17
Powell 21
Puckett 25
Tess 18
Wynn 25
Key 21
Edia 9
Jillian 23
The game vs liberty
The player's who had a good shot ING night early all got less minutes.

Point talking.. On no hate.
more of what I was posting about Tess Darby needs to sit more was before this year.

That was more of what I was referring to.
Seem like some posters didn't like her playing many minutes.
Just my take.
I like that distribution. I know I’m in th minority here but I like teams that play 9-10 a game consistently. It’s a style. And one I appreciate. But really depends on team build

The problem w that lineup is it leaves Spear as our only reliable 3 pt shooter on the perimeter and makes life much tougher for Jackson.
I know Strip can step out and hit a 3, but still not sure about taking out Puckett, probably our most reliable 3 pt shooter.

One answer to this is for Rickea to get her perimeter and mid range shot back. She started out so well when she first came back, but has been uncharacteristically cold the last few games. One thing I hope really happens tomorrow is for RJ to have a good shooting game.

All lineup changes are moot for tomorrow IMO. KJH more or less said so in her presser. She likes Wynn's energy off the bench and I agree. I think she's the LV eqivalent of Mashack on the men's team. She'll get plenty of mins tho. Key may eventually start, but that will depend on matchups and her endurance.
Powell and Spear can both shoot the three. My problem with Striplin and Darby is their defense. Also the group of Powell, Wynn, Spear, Jackson and TK, played outstanding on both sides of the ball against Mississippi State. Now I give Striplin and Darby their credits they both play hard and give you all they have. They simply lack speed and quickness, especially against speedy and quick players.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Powell and Spear can both shoot the three. My problem with Striplin and Darby is their defense. Also the group of Powell, Wynn, Spear, Jackson and TK, played outstanding on both sides of the ball against Mississippi State. Now I give Striplin and Darby their credits they both play hard and give you all they have. They simply lack speed and quickness, especially against speedy and quick players.
It's not Strip or Darby I'd argue for in that lineup. It's Puckett. She's the been the most reliable 3 pt shooter.

Didn't say anything about Ace.
Posters have had a beef. with Tess before this year.
The game about last year or two years ago.

Tess had made three pointer.
3th quarter wasn't half over someone posted she's played enough.
And another said she's needs to sit more.
I
Tess is not a favorite of some posters.
I feel like a lot of posters like Tess but worry about her defense. Who doesn’t love a young lady like Tess? Smart, hard worker, leader, all Lady Vol. If you could sprinkle pixie dust on her and make her a step quicker she would never come off the floor.
Again, I feel like there was an opportunity to use a semi-colon there.

Last few games Strickland has been back and has earned minutes by her play.
I don't know how you can say that. Her shooting percentage is atrocious. 18.5% Fg and 12.5% from the 3-point line does not earn playing time. Edie's numbers blow Strickland away and they have had basically the same amount of time on the court.

I don't know how you can say that. Her shooting percentage is atrocious. 18.5% Fg and 12.5% from the 3-point line does not earn playing time. Edie's numbers blow Strickland away and they have had basically the same amount of time on the court.
Well that’s great. But her minutes have been productive outside of shooting. But by all means, somehow incorporate a PG into the equation.

Well that’s great. But her minutes have been productive outside of shooting. But by all means, somehow incorporate a PG into the equation.
The walk-on pg also has more rebounds, steals, & assists. We must look at what productive numbers on a basketball court are differently.

The walk-on pg also has more rebounds, steals, & assists. We must look at what productive numbers on a basketball court are differently.
Awesome! Is she subbing in for Tess/G position players at this moment or ever? And off the bench in the first half?

Reactions: knoxvol52
Have noticed Tess knots or pokes ball out of the offence player.
Then teammate gets the ball and credit for the steal.
Tess has got less minutes when her shot is off.
Defense hasn't been the only reason she's got less minutes.
Kellie has said in interview why this or that group finished the game.
Or stayed in longer.
Kellie said they were playing good
"So we rolled with"
Kellie has said different people step up different nights.

Kellie playing more than eight players keeps more players improving.
It's hard for two or three players to carry a team.

Back to Tess fans or posters might miss who tips a pass and a
Team gets credit for the steal.
But coaches notice those things.
There's how a team plays while a player in there.
It's more than Players stats
It's how the team plays while a player in there

It's not Strip or Darby I'd argue for in that lineup. It's Puckett. She's the been the most reliable 3 pt shooter.
I do not have a problem with Puckett. I see her as one of the 6 best players on the Lady Vols. I think she needs to shoot more and the LVs need to run more pick plays to free her up.

Womp womp

Heard last night that Lady VOLS were the next four out, which is alarming. What do they need to do to get in the tournament?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Heard last night that Lady VOLS were the next four out, which is alarming. What do they need to do to get in the tournament?
Win today should get them in the tourney for now. Win several more to stay there.

Were in one bracket as an 11 seed. Should be in Creme's if we win today.

Last edited:
Win today should get them in the tourney for now. Win several more to stay there.

Were in one bracket as an 11 seed. Should be in Creme's if we win today.
Have to be a top 16 seed to have a shot at Sweet 16 or beyond..

Don't care what Winner Circle says...

Seed
Sweet
Sixteen right match up

The Lady Vols are in the drivers seat.
That win on the road against an early season Top 25 opponent was the breakthrough.
This team is ahead of schedule from last season’s outstanding SEC run and Sweet 16 appearance despite a much tougher conference schedule to start in January.
Stay tuned.
Lets GBO🍊

Vandy is much improved this year and if the Lady Vols dig themselves a deep hole in the 1st and 2nd quarters like they are prone to do ( at least in the last month ) ,they just may not be able to dig themselves out .They are playing at home so lets hope they get off to a fast start and keeps it up ....and on to victory .

Shaquille Oneal is my Center
Michael Jordan is my GOAT
Pat Summittt is my best lady coach ever
ALan Alda is my role model from TV
Geno is my example of how to coach females,,,as a male
Justine Pissott is my shooter
get a life folks...it isn't rocket science
Obviously you have never seen tapes on Wilt. He would run circles around Shaq.

Jabbar should be considered the greatest center with Bill Russell a close second..
Wilt dominated Russell...... Check out the Utube of 40 year old Wilt block8ng back to back sky hooks....Imagine him as a younger man against Jabbar. Wilt has records that will never be broken. So if you just want the sky hook take jabbar. If you want a complete dominant big man take Wilt..

VN Store

Back