Game Thread: Lady Vols host Vandy ; Sunday Jan 21, 3PM; SEC Network ;...Win 73-64

There's a new lineup combo that I really like. Powell, Spear, Wynn, Jackson, Striplin

Why do I like it? Well, no one asked, but I'll tell you. You can create a 4 out 1 in that is virtually unstoppable on offense. Start the possession with Wynn at the point, Jackson and Striplin in "horns" as screen options. Wynn uses the Striplin screen but doesn't do a hard drive. Striplin spins out to top of the key (her fav 3-point spot). Jackson cuts to the paint and posts up. Wynn feeds Jackson and game over.

It only works with Striplin at the 5 otherwise the player guarding our 5 can double Jackson.
The problem w that lineup is it leaves Spear as our only reliable 3 pt shooter on the perimeter and makes life much tougher for Jackson.
I know Strip can step out and hit a 3, but still not sure about taking out Puckett, probably our most reliable 3 pt shooter.

One answer to this is for Rickea to get her perimeter and mid range shot back. She started out so well when she first came back, but has been uncharacteristically cold the last few games. One thing I hope really happens tomorrow is for RJ to have a good shooting game.

All lineup changes are moot for tomorrow IMO. KJH more or less said so in her presser. She likes Wynn's energy off the bench and I agree. I think she's the LV eqivalent of Mashack on the men's team. She'll get plenty of mins tho. Key may eventually start, but that will depend on matchups and her endurance.

I'm hoping Puckett lets Justine know this is her house...
I'm going to get your ass!
images

Striplin hits on about 50% from those top-of-the-key 3s. Powell is a confident 3-point shooter. Everyone out there (Powell, Spear, Wynn, Jackson, Striplin) is a good enough 3-point shooter that you can't leave them wide open - even Wynn. So that dictates Jackson 1vs1 in the paint, and I like that matchup every time.

The problem w that lineup is it leaves Spear as our only reliable 3 pt shooter on the perimeter and makes life much tougher for Jackson.
I know Strip can step out and hit a 3, but still not sure about taking out Puckett, probably our most reliable 3 pt shooter.

One answer to this is for Rickea to get her perimeter and mid range shot back. She started out so well when she first came back, but has been uncharacteristically cold the last few games. One thing I hope really happens tomorrow is for RJ to have a good shooting game.

All lineup changes are moot for tomorrow IMO. KJH more or less said so in her presser. She likes Wynn's energy off the bench and I agree. I think she's the LV eqivalent of Mashack on the men's team. She'll get plenty of mins tho. Key may eventually start, but that will depend on matchups and her endurance.

Agreed. Tactically, starting your 1 and 2 PG options together raises other issues. 37620 is theoretically a better defending team and Strip and Spear can provide some 3 pt shooting so its actually not that imbalanced.

But Puckett has consistently been the one LV to get off to good starts offensively in SEC games that role seems to suit here.

Striplin hits on about 50% from those top-of-the-key 3s. Powell is a confident 3-point shooter. Everyone out there (Powell, Spear, Wynn, Jackson, Striplin) is a good enough 3-point shooter that you can't leave them wide open - even Wynn. So that dictates Jackson 1vs1 in the paint, and I like that matchup every time.
Agree to disagree. Powell has hit some big 3s for sure but not as consistent as Puckett. Also, I can't see any team deciding not to double RJ in order to guard Wynn on the perimeter. Won't be surprised if Wynn improves on that eventually, but not now. IMO, that's why they start Puckett instead. KJH is convinced and has said over and over Puckett is the best compliment to Rickea.

Again Rickea needs to get her own outside game going, both for us now and for her W future.

Vanderbilt has a good defense and been playing well. I expect they will double down on Rickea when she gets the ball. TK should rule the paint as long as RJ can get it to her and not try to do too much. We have to make clean crisp passes or this game will be really close. The dores convert their defense into offense same as us.

Reactions: travis929
Tennessee has completely changed their identity in the SEC with Kaiya Wynn and Tamari Key recent play.
I can’t wait to get Texas A&M on Rocky Top. In the meantime, following the MISS State game I don’t think Vanderbilt has a chance.

That was the breakthrough for Tennessee. So much so that a contender four weeks from their trip to Knoxville has already schedule to have a fan bus(es) travel to Rocky Top.

Tennessee at 4-1 in SEC play with Jewel Spear, Kaiya Wynn, Tamari Key, and Sara playing some of the best two-way basketball of their careers has sent shockwaves through the SEC.

Last edited:
Vanderbilt has a good defense and been playing well. I expect they will double down on Rickea when she gets the ball. TK should rule the paint as long as RJ can get it to her and not try to do too much. We have to make clean crisp passes or this game will be really close. The dores convert their defense into offense same as us.

add: be ready for, plus catch those crisp passes and decisive with the next move. At times we seem to get into this funk of a ball slapped away without getting the foul call, a tie-up or just slow to react.

Tennessee has completely changed their identity in the SEC with Kaiya Wynn and Tamari Key recent play.
I can’t wait to get Texas A&M on Rocky Top. In the meantime, following the MISS State game I don’t think Vanderbilt has a chance.

That was the breakthrough for Tennessee. So much so that a contender four weeks from their trip to Knoxville has already schedule to have a fan bus(es) travel to Rocky Top.

Tennessee at 4-1 in SEC play with Jewel Spear, Kaiya Wynn, Tamari Key, and Sara playing some of the best two-way basketball of their careers has sent shockwaves through the SEC.

You'd be a fantastic journalist with that sensationalism - "has sent shockwaves through the SEC." No one in the SEC is scared of the Lady Vols, and that's ok. They just need to keep winning and let it take care of itself. I would also not bet that Kelli continues to give Wynn others' minutes. She's shown an unwillingness to make tough decisions when it upsets other players, even when everyone can see Wynn brings more to the table at this point of the season.

You'd be a fantastic journalist with that sensationalism - "has sent shockwaves through the SEC." No one in the SEC is scared of the Lady Vols, and that's ok. They just need to keep winning and let it take care of itself. I would also not bet that Kelli continues to give Wynn others' minutes. She's shown an unwillingness to make tough decisions when it upsets other players, even when everyone can see Wynn brings more to the table at this point of the season.
you don't post much but when you do...BAM

Reactions: Volstylexx

NVs “fairy tales” lol.
We’ll see tomorrow.

When Justine and our gals meet before the game, there will be lots of smiles and gossip between them, but each person will be mentally preparing to demolish the other, as it is when friends do battle with each other....

Justine will most likely be on the perimeter, waiting for a kick out pass..She rarely goes inside to fight for a rebound....

I hope that when she gets the ball on the perimeter, Spear just gives her the notorious Clark wave off and grinds her psyche into tiny shards of Hubba Bubba...

and that the crowd gives her the Newport treatment that Bob got went he went electric with the Hawks.

Actually, I hope she gets treated as civilly as any other Vandy player. If there's any crowd reaction at all, maybe polite recognition and a smattering of applause. If anyone holds a grudge, I've always maintained that no reaction is the best insult...just as silence puts more pressure on the FT shooter than noise.

Competitor's Credo: "Loved or Hated, but Never Ignored."

Last edited:
I just went and watched a Vanderbilt game from this season.
The UCONN fan(s) on here talking up their former coach now at Vandy is just talking to hear themselves talk.
Vandy schedule a Big East type of schedule and racked up non-conference wins. They have played some of the most inconsistent SEC teams at home and secured a couple close wins.
Other than that, nothing has changed about that program but a misleading record.

They have maybe one player that could likely win a position battle for a starting spot against Tennessee top players. And today, I’m not talking about hype and former HS rankings as the UCONN-Vandy fan stated that one player would be in a toss-up battle for that starting spot.

I probably won’t predict a score final. I have Tennessee winning.

VN Store

Back