Game Thread: Kentucky at Lady Vols: Sun Jan 7, 12 p.m.; SEC Network,,,,Win 87-69

There is no reason we should keep having to play from behind. If Tamari can play 20+ minutes in a game there is no reason she shouldn’t be starting. I could get it when she was only able to play about 7-10 but that’s not where we are anymore. She’s shown she’s continuing to return to form. By February this team should be CLICKINGGGGGG but only if you play the lineups that actually work.

People get on Jillian but she has been rebounding her butt off and had a nice jumper today. Yet.. I see nothing about how poorly Sara defends, and Karo ain’t too far off either

There is no reason we should keep having to play from behind. If Tamari can play 20+ minutes in a game there is no reason she shouldn’t be starting. I could get it when she was only able to play about 7-10 but that’s not where we are anymore. She’s shown she’s continuing to return to form. By February this team should be CLICKINGGGGGG but only if you play the lineups that actually work.

People get on Jillian but she has been rebounding her butt off and had a nice jumper today. Yet.. I see nothing about how poorly Sara defends, and Karo ain’t too far off either
I agree, was on the fence before and maybe the coaches are timid as well but as much and as well as she has played defensively she has earned the start. It may or may not work out but it's worth a try to stop the 1st half bloodbaths we have had

Reactions: dapeak

Jill showed some real heart today that I’d been looking for. I think TK’s reemergence has been good for Jill’s confidence as well.

Kellie gets credit for KY driving and running into Key blocks? Tennessee was down when Kentucky decide they wanted to challenge Key. Again, can’t coach size.

Key had six blocks. Those were big but it's not as if they created a 48 point second half and a 28 point swing in the final score. Someone did something right out there in the second half.

Key had six blocks. Those were big but it's not as if they created a 48 point second half and a 28 point swing in the final score. Someone did something right out there in the second half.
It helped stop the scoring by KY. Points went the other way. That’s a credit to her stopping points, leading to points. That’s how leads are cut

Kellie gets credit for KY driving and running into Key blocks? Tennessee was down when Kentucky decide they wanted to challenge Key. Again, can’t coach size.
I have seen plenty of huge players in women's and men's basketball that play very poorly, even on defense. So it is an insult to Key and Kellie that it in 100% about height.

I saw an interview with CPS yesterday about her first loss and how she called her dad to tell him. He told her “You can’t take donkeys to the Kentucky Derby. You need to go get you some race horses.”
Outside of 1 or 2, it appears the LVs have the former.
Well maybe, but I bet PHS is giving the EYE to a bunch of self proclaimed fans who throw those in uniform under the bus in public forums rather than suffering with them and trying to figure out how to maximize their abilities while they are here.

Jewel Spear has picked up her defensive intensity and offensively is as skilled as any guard in the SEC.
Both Jillian and TK were very good today.
As two of the teams most physically imposing Top 3 posts, against good teams both TK and Jillian can’t come off the bench.
I think Sara and Karo will be fine in certain matchups but they don’t really play off of each other while on the court at the same time.
When TK and Jillian each play together or with Rickea you can see them playing together and feeding off one another.

Just got back from the game. The crowd enthusiasm and the way the team seemed to feed off of it reminded me of the Pat years. Things I loved about the game include Rickea mostly taking shots around the rim (her long ball game should be used just enough to worry the defense), Spear being so aggressive on offense in 2nd quarter when no one else was doing good things (she showed that she is far from just a three-point shooter), Key dismantling completely the UK drive and penetrate game of Kentucky, and the overall defense the 2nd half.
Outside of the sluggish and apathetic start by everyone, my chief concern is that we clearly can't afford to start perhaps our worst 3 defenders. That will not cut it in the athletic SEC. All three players have plenty to offer for the team, but should never start at the same time. I do think Spear has the biggest upside on defense of the three and she is essential for the team in all the other things she does, so she has to start. I think I would go with Spear, Powell (just loving her game this year!), Rickea, Hollingshead or Key (eventually Key), and Puckett or Tess (very underrated defensively). Whoever she starts, she needs to bench starters after about 4 minutes if they haven't been playing defense with intensity. Otherwise, more talented teams may be shooting out to 15 - or 20 - point leads.
I have to say the 2nd halves of the last two games have shown a shockingly high potential for this team that wasn't evident until now. They were among the best halves we have played in the past few years with both the offense and defense doing really well. Yes, the opponents weren't great but the level of our dominance was a sight to behold. We just have to figure a way of doing this for 36 minutes. I know it should be 40 minutes, but if they truly averaged 36 intense minutes per game I would take it!

Last edited:
Miles, to me, equates to Zakai Zeigler as far as playing taller than their stature
Bostic may be fastest, but Zakai had his number
You either beat speed with speedier or with skills (crossover, change of pace, body or ball fakes)
This will be a good barometer for Kaiya and I hope she stands tall and wins the matchup when it happens
If she does, her growth in confidence will be big
Kaiya shutting down Scherr was huge today,,,Mattie was killing us. Once she was corrraled the KY offense sputtered,,,Kudos to Kaiya

You got to see the "dog" in Miles though,,,she is a pit bull on D
You need to bring your acumen over the male side of the basketball forum from time to time. Want to hear the thoughts running through your brain.
Started coaching females in 1982 and have stayed exclusive to them due to a conversation with a legend,,Sitting with Pat during the 1996 SEC Women's tourney when she was scouting ALA,,,she said.."Girls get uncles, dads and brothers...they don't get real coaches"...That influenced me to become a real coach and to stay with the female gender...And,, I wouldn't trade a day with the girls for a year with the boys... ;o)

I admit, I did watch the men's game yesterday though,,,it was entertaining...They deserve their ranking.
Tess had all around good game.
Tess was more than just "not a liability" today,,,she was an asset. the Best overall game by her I have ever seen her play. Dotted multiple stats, scored more from mid-range than from the arc, 2 reb, 3 asst and 3 steals,,no fouls no TO's excellent game for her
...People get on Jillian but she has been rebounding her butt off and had a nice jumper today. Yet.. I see nothing about how poorly Sara defends, and Karo ain’t too far off either
Jillian played a good all around effort on defense particularly...When TK had to rest, Jillian bothered their post like Dennis Rodman,,she was all over Petty in the paint
Jill showed some real heart today that I’d been looking for. I think TK’s reemergence has been good for Jill’s confidence as well.
this /\

Funny how you responded to that post. Keeping posting more different views better off conversation.
Sending a cryptic to the board, just wanted to establish position of no silence. But nice game by Key and her size to take over. Kellie doesn’t get credit for god given size.

Sending a cryptic to the board, just wanted to establish position of no silence. But nice game by Key and her size to take over. Kellie doesn’t get credit for god given size.
I will wait until I watch this game a second time, without emotion to make this decision..
Changes happened and were made,,,but not sure who/when
Things get clearer when no emotion is involved

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back