Game Thread: Kentucky at Lady Vols: Sun Jan 7, 12 p.m.; SEC Network,,,,Win 87-69

Even after this week, TN still not in bracketology, which I don’t understand. Florida is ahead of TN. Maybe next week if we continue to win.

Even after this week, TN still not in bracketology, which I don’t understand. Florida is ahead of TN. Maybe next week if we continue to win.
Alot depends on that two game road swing beginning Sunday. If we win those and start 5-0 in conference, I think we'll be back both in the lower top 25 and in bracketology.

This is the thin ice problem of losing all those non conf games, and espec the MTSU loss. Every stretch is crucial toward making the tourney and certainly getting a decent seed. Losses have to be saved for the best teams. That's alot of pressure.

TN has embarrassed pollsters and bracketeers so many times they are timid about putting the org in until their choice is sully certain

Who was the former NBA player who frequently won rebounding titles by deliberately missing shots and getting multiple rebounds in the process. He went to Nort Korea several times. I include that trivia to support the 25 previous posts (also mostly trivia)
Dennis Rodman

Tough crowd- 27 points, 7 rebounds and 7 TO and boom you're no longer a starter!!

That obvious mistake aside, Key is not up for starting right now because her minutes are still being managed. She seems like a a player to save for clutch defensive time!

Again, it does not matter all that much who starts, though finding a line-up that can get off to a quicker start would be nice.

But, Kellie's core 8 get the lion's share of minutes with variance based on game by game matchups and how the game is going. Jewel did not see many minutes against Auburn and she was a linchpin against KY.

Who gets the first five or six minutes of game is not that consequential.
With how this team has started games on defense, the first 5-6 minutes are crucial for setting the tone of the game and if Tamari can play she should. Winning the opening tip and taking away the paint with a 6-7 rim protector changes the offensive mindset of our opponents immediately rather than letting them get into a rhythm early. The five we've been starting with just want to score back and forth, but with tamari it sets at defensive tone immediately.

With how this team has started games on defense, the first 5-6 minutes are crucial for setting the tone of the game and if Tamari can play she should. Winning the opening tip and taking away the paint with a 6-7 rim protector changes the offensive mindset of our opponents immediately rather than letting them get into a rhythm early. The five we've been starting with just want to score back and forth, but with tamari it sets at defensive tone immediately.
I agree with your analysis. Tamari will eventually be inserted in the starting lineup. I see that happening in the next five or so games. GBO.

Reactions: 37620VOL
Post players are much like defensive linemen. If you rotate them in and out and keep them fresh, you get better performance. If you gas them out in the first quarter with 5 minutes of fast-break basketball, they won't be the same for the rest of the game. My plan for Key would be to play her as much as possible for 3-minute stretches and try to hit the "key" points of the game. Something like this:

1Q minutes 1:00 to 3:00
2Q minutes 1:00 to 3:00
2Q minutes 7:00 to 10:00
3Q minutes 1:00 to 3:00
4Q minutes 7:00 to 10:00
4Q minutes 1:00 to 3:00

That would be 21 hopefully very productive minutes. Once conditioning is a bit better, add the final 3 minutes of the 2Q for a total of 24 minutes.

Post players are much like defensive linemen. If you rotate them in and out and keep them fresh, you get better performance. If you gas them out in the first quarter with 5 minutes of fast-break basketball, they won't be the same for the rest of the game. My plan for Key would be to play her as much as possible for 3-minute stretches and try to hit the "key" points of the game. Something like this:

1Q minutes 1:00 to 3:00
2Q minutes 1:00 to 3:00
2Q minutes 7:00 to 10:00
3Q minutes 1:00 to 3:00
4Q minutes 1:00 to 3:00

That would be 21 hopefully very productive minutes. Once conditioning is a bit better, add the final 3 minutes of the 2Q for a total of 24 minutes.
The refs like to tag her with fouls. Rather have her in Q2 and Q4 than see her pick up two quick fouls in Q1.

The refs like to tag her with fouls. Rather have her in Q2 and Q4 than see her pick up two quick fouls in Q1.

That's exactly why I only have her in for 3 minutes for the entire first quarter. Hopefully, 1 foul max going into Q2. It's an excellent point and definitely something important to think about.

VN Store

Back