Game Thread: (23/24) Lady Vols at (RV/NR) Alabama

So something that has not been commented on much is the play of freshman Destiny Salary. She had 4 rebounds today and is averaging about that per game (Ave. 15 min/game) she is also only averaging 1 TO per game. I think there is a lot of heart there. She is playing guard and is “only” 6’. Rebounding is about technique but also about hustle. I like this kid a lot.

So something that has not been commented on much is the play of freshman Destiny Salary. She had 4 rebounds today and is averaging about that per game (Ave. 15 min/game) she is also only averaging 1 TO per game. I think there is a lot of heart there. She is playing guard and is “only” 6’. Rebounding is about technique but also about hustle. I like this kid a lot.

I believe we see this in our subs because they have been given meaningful minutes in games and that has accelerated their development. They are better prepared and have the talent to make plays that lead to wins.

She is getting a little bit more playing time and I think it is well deserved.

So don't you think its a little cruel to make us think about this right now? Kristy Curry has not exactly been healing balm for us the last few years, and her team is playing really well. At home. Why don't you go ahead and start a UConn thread while we're down?
I need a little more time to heal.

Feeling better now? I bet Kristy isn't. I think she is a really good coach so beating them like they did makes the win all the sweeter.

Last edited:
masta and sally do not turn it over much and striplin is a good scorer down low.
5Y9wZyi.gif

Actually, I would insert her in as #1 sub at this point
and as a starter against teams with speed guards

Good bounce back game. Jordan Horston has the tools to lead this program back to glory.

I have wanted to comment on Jordan Houston for awhile. Many complain about her turnovers. While no turnover is a good turnover, it really seems a lot of hers are based on aggression. In general she has gotten a lot better since last season IMO. But she also makes things happen. It seems that her aggressiveness really keys a lot of critical plays for TN. A tremendous defensive effort here, a great drive to the hoop and fade, and other timely things. She also, seems to like to lead. Whereas, many believe Rennia is a bit too subdued (although I adore her) Jordan is ready to take the reigns whenever given to her.

Also, as the parent of a big, I know how annoying it is to have your kid work hard for position, or screen only to have a shot-hog guard pull up for a drifting floater to clank off the rim. Jordan is looking to deliver the ball to the post. Posts that are fed, play better. I’ve been limited in what I got to watch the last couple games, but I saw a couple minutes of the third today when the LVs and were still in that panic mode from Thursday’s game. Yes the 3 pointer was working, but I think when you can score at the rim in the half court game at ease with the kind of play where she lobbed that perfect floater to Tamari is just a back breaker to the defense. Tamari’s improvement will likely be in part due to JH.

I am excited to see what she can do when she is surrounded by shooters she can set up. Or someone who can pick-n-roll or pick-n-pop.

Her upside is tremendous. Her turnovers are the byproduct of growing into her role as an SEC power conference player.

Really have enjoyed reading this Thread...Great comments.
Due to bad luck today, I was not able to see game, but I did find the replay on WatchESPN and will watch it soon....

Did Coach Kellie actually call a time out to stop a run? Perhaps, someone has told her about all the concerns we expressed and a time out might have helped.....
So nice to see Karoline and Sara there.....I'm sure Justine was watching from New Jersey too.
We're going to be OK guys, actually, we're going to be great!!!!!!
I love this team!!!!

Last edited:
Actually, I would insert her in as #1 sub at this point
and as a starter against teams with speed guards
i watch geogia game on youtube again. when walker comes in geogia goes on runs. she two acl to same knee. that anybody down. sally is better . this game alabama waller did not try to do much.

Just had time to watch game replay. powerful win against a pretty good team. They were flat and we capitalized. Have not seen the stats but everyone played . Emily took a step back i think. I really though bama was better than they showed and probably are. Agree with the timeout by curry but kellie what can i say. Good win!

Yeah I think Bama is a very similar team to us this season. Can beat anyone on any night but will slip now and then.

Their loss to SC was predicated on the same issues. They had a poor shooting night against the length of SC as well. Their stars did their part in that game but they got nothing from the “others.” Just like tonight. Against MSST Abrams and Barber played much better.

Maybe the best overall performance under KJH so far? Only 12 turnovers and we shot over 50% from the floor, including 8-14 from the 3 point range. Nice win against a decent team. Hopefully, they will build on this.

I think the Arkansas/Indiana wins are still better wins. We played very similar to how we played against Arkansas. Alabama has a similar philosophy to them.

Have to get over small, high pressure defenses. We get so bothered by them. We shot almost 50% against UGA even though we imploded. We couldn’t hang onto the ball long enough to get a shot off in the second half unfortunately. Otherwise we would have won that game comfortably just like the Bama game.

One thing we can all stop complaining about are the substitutions. Now that SEC play has started that makes much more sense. Something Coach is not shocked about I’m sure lol.

She has tightened the rotation considerably and the last two games indicated that she doesn’t actually trust her bench much. Minimal bench minutes against UGA even when the starters quit playing. Seems to indicate she didn’t feel the bench would play with any different energy. When she is putting them in they are coming 1, maybe 2 at a time compared to 3-5 most of last season.

Against Bama she got a lot of them great minutes. Copeland is a s(low) post so we even got Emily a few quality minutes.

I was able to watch the replay of the game tonight, and not taking away from the fine play of anyone else, just wanted to compliment the play of Tamari today. She played 24 minutes, ran up and down the floor, jumped for passes and dove for rebounds, and aggressively pursued scoring. She looked to me like the player we were all hoping she would become. She played aggressively! Kudos to Tamari and here’s hoping she continues to grow as a player! GO LADY VOLS!!!

I was able to watch the replay of the game tonight, and not taking away from the fine play of anyone else, just wanted to compliment the play of Tamari today. She played 24 minutes, ran up and down the floor, jumped for passes and dove for rebounds, and aggressively pursued scoring. She looked to me like the player we were all hoping she would become. She played aggressively! Kudos to Tamari and here’s hoping she continues to grow as a player! GO LADY VOLS!!!

She finished several plays through contact tonight as well. Something we had not seen. Great night for Ms. Key. Watching again and she’s been written all over this second quarter. Everyone was clicking at the same time on both ends. Scary how good we look in that quarter. Tamari did a much better job of spreading her fouls out too. No silly ones today. She had 4 but never felt like she was in foul trouble.

What's happened to Rennie?

I’m thinking she has some sort of injury that’s limiting her practice time. She still doesn’t appear to be in game shape. I’m not sure why she no longer wants to shoot the 3. Seems to want to penetrate every time she catches. Confusing for a player who was 50% from 3 a season ago.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Just finished the replay. Really nice bounce back game. I like seeing Rae and Rennia being aggressive and Key getting going after a little bit of a rocky start. Excellent from Jordan Horston as well. Still had a few unforced TOs and a few plays where Bama caught them in transition but overall a nice a dominant win.

I would love an explanation from the resident "experts" (where are they all?) as to how the LVs could possibly put a 20pt beat down on Bama, on the road no less, with the kneeling, the hair, the lack of a will to win and all the other "character" flaws.

Agree 100%. She is going to be a good one. I expect her role to keep expanding this season.

VN Store

Back