Game Thread: (23/24) Lady Vols at (RV/NR) Alabama

I’m thinking she has some sort of injury that’s limiting her practice time. She still doesn’t appear to be in game shape. I’m not sure why she no longer wants to shoot the 3. Seems to want to penetrate every time she catches. Confusing for a player who was 50% from 3 a season ago.

Nope, not an injury

I think the Arkansas/Indiana wins are still better wins. We played very similar to how we played against Arkansas. Alabama has a similar philosophy to them.

Have to get over small, high pressure defenses. We get so bothered by them. We shot almost 50% against UGA even though we imploded. We couldn’t hang onto the ball long enough to get a shot off in the second half unfortunately. Otherwise we would have won that game comfortably just like the Bama game.
Nice series of posts, VolBall09!

I agree that Arkansas and Indiana were better wins, in the sense that they were definitive wins against ranked teams and helped get us on the map. But I think Alabama was the most *important* win this far considering the context: smack dab between a "bad," avoidable loss against Georgia and our most significant game of the season against UConn. I feel like a one or two point win against Alabama would leave us in a bad position coming into our next game.

So does anyone have any info on McCoy? I know she traveled with the team. She may be a big help with Ucon.

I think both she and Keyen were there at the game. I don’t even know if she dressed. I don’t see her coming back next year (she could but i don’t see it) with her injury history.

Nice series of posts, VolBall09!

I agree that Arkansas and Indiana were better wins, in the sense that they were definitive wins against ranked teams and helped get us on the map. But I think Alabama was the most *important* win this far considering the context: smack dab between a "bad," avoidable loss against Georgia and our most significant game of the season against UConn. I feel like a one or two point win against Alabama would leave us in a bad position coming into our next game.

To piggy back off of what you both said those wins were the top 15 eye opening wins👀 This win felt like ok we bounced back BUT the ladies had a game plan and executed! Last year’s win was a relief but this time felt like ok this team learned from their loss and wanted to make a statement.

As far as tourney resume Bama was ranked 21 in the Net Ranking when we played them so that’s a good win in the selection committee’s eyes i would assume. Two top 15 wins with a top 25 (#21) win is a far better look than last year i must say.

I was able to watch the replay of the game tonight, and not taking away from the fine play of anyone else, just wanted to compliment the play of Tamari today. She played 24 minutes, ran up and down the floor, jumped for passes and dove for rebounds, and aggressively pursued scoring. She looked to me like the player we were all hoping she would become. She played aggressively! Kudos to Tamari and here’s hoping she continues to grow as a player! GO LADY VOLS!!!
She did and i am proud as well. Bad habit of taking a bounce and getting pushed to far under the backboard but a win is a win for these ladies!

Does anyone know where you can find our +/- stats? I know that’s an evaluator coach uses a lot when it comes to PT. I’ve looked everywhere I can think and cannot find that information for UT.

Last edited:
I’ve seen several
Comments about Kellie not calling a timeout when UGA went on their run. ALA coach called one during our run. We came back out from the TO and continued the run. So I don’t quite believe calling a TO stops all the runs or momentum. Of course now we won’t know how it would’ve turned out. But she did call a TO in the 3rd when ALA scored 5-6 in a row.
I see those as two totally different scenarios. Georgia made their run because we were sloppy and lackadaisical with the ball. Alabama's third quarter started the same way and Kellie's timeout settled them down and got their feet back in under them. She didn't right the ship in Georgia. Alabama called time out to try and stop our momentum. I see these completely different.

Does anyone know where you can find our +/- stats? I know that’s an evaluator coach uses a lot when it comes to PT. I’ve looked everywhere I can think and cannot find that information for UT.
I don't know if I do them by game or by culmination but if I can find that out I know how to put the calculations into a spreadsheet... when I get home this evening I'll do both if I can remember if not at me and remind me

LOL at 1:13 Rennia getting asked about going head to head with Evina and the smirk/laugh she gave like "Who cares" lol #EXACTLY

I think Evina may be in for a long night. Almost certain her former teammates defense has improved a lot more than her offense has. Also don’t think the crowd in TBA will be all that welcoming to her, but we shall see.

Nervous for this game but I think we have a good shot.

I’m thinking she has some sort of injury that’s limiting her practice time. She still doesn’t appear to be in game shape. I’m not sure why she no longer wants to shoot the 3. Seems to want to penetrate every time she catches. Confusing for a player who was 50% from 3 a season ago.

I disagree with whoever said Rennie's regressed since last year. Last year, she was a one-dimensional player...put up a 3-ball if she was wide open. She's obviously worked on her defense, foot speed, and ballhandling over the summer. Her main problem is that she's still not good at creating her own shot. KJH needs some plays to get her open to make her effective.

I disagree with whoever said Rennie's regressed since last year. Last year, she was a one-dimensional player...put up a 3-ball if she was wide open. She's obviously worked on her defense, foot speed, and ballhandling over the summer. Her main problem is that she's still not good at creating her own shot. KJH needs some plays to get her open to make her effective.

I maintain she has regressed. She looks less comfortable out there compared to last season and she hasn’t looked for her shot at all. She tires to penetrate every time she catches. Not what we need from her. She’s less physically fit than she was a year ago coming off a knee injury.

She was a 46% 3 point shooter last season and attempted 54 of them. So far she’s 1/12 0.083 this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amb3096

I`m not gonna say you are wrong and i will agree with you Rennie worked on her defense and foot speed. But still can`t create her own shot and that`s a big problem and that`s the same problem for Tess. If you look at the Bama game i think Kristy Curry played Hannah Barber to much. 26 mins 2pts and to go back against SC 30 mins 3pts and in that game Dawn put 6-1 Beal on her. So to me it`s all about the mach ups when it comes to players like Rennie

Any news on when A&M and Kentucky might be re-scheduled? I see A&M, Kentucky and UT are all available on Sunday 2/7. Not much time to squeeze both A&M and Kentucky in at the end before the SEC tourney.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Any news on when A&M and Kentucky might be re-scheduled? I see A&M, Kentucky and UT are all available on Sunday 2/7. Not much time to squeeze both A&M and Kentucky in at the end before the SEC tourney.
Someone else said that the SECT would be delayed to allow for reschedules. Conversely, there are dates open now for when they were supposed to play Vandy, so that might be an option...

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
has anybody notice when davis falls she seems something is sore? last two games

I think her hip flexors have been bothering her. I noticed she’s been squatting and stretching during free throws and timeouts. She also takes a pounding from the defense every game. She’s probably sore. She gets bumped and pushed all over.

Did y'all know that Rebecca Lobo will be calling the game? 😠
I was thinking Catchings or Parker.
Lobo shouldn't be calling the game in Knoxville. That's so messed up.

Hopefully she gets to watch them lose in Knoxville. That long face will be even longer.

Would be nice if she’s paired with a UT alum but I doubt that will happen. We will get to listen to her sit in TBA on The Summitt and blow smoke of Geno’s a** for two hours about “beating” Pat’s all time wins record.

VN Store

Back