'21 GA RB Cody Brown

Go back and watch, he looked for contact ALL THE TIME. He was out of place as a shotgun back and played for a poor line. His only knock was slow acceleration and sort of slow lateral quickness. But saying he danced and avoided contact is completely false.

I don’t have time to go back and watch film of old games, but I definitely remember being frustrated that he didn’t use his size and strength to its full advantage. Part of that was the system and the way he was used, but I also think part of it was his style. As a 235 lb back, I wanted him to have the mentality that he was going to crush people. If there is one defender in front of you, run his ass over. Destroy him. I don’t remember Hurd having that mentality, at least not on a consistent basis.

After leaving here, he even admitted as much, saying that he had suffered multiple concussions and didn’t want to get hit anymore, which was why he wanted to transfer and change positions. Taking that into account, I don’t fault him a bit for putting his health first, especially with concussions being an issue.

Reactions: engineerVOL
Hurd should’ve been moved to WR, obviously. We would’ve had Kamara at RB1 and Hurd, Malone, Preston Williams and Jauan Jennings at WR. FOUR NFL receivers and one of the top RB in the league.

A 6’4 RB busting through the LOS is much different than 5’10. The only one I can think of that made that work was Darren McFaddon (6’3) and Hurd wasn’t on that level. Plus our staff was awful at play calling and situational football.

Did you forget Derrick Henry?

Reactions: GojiraVol17
Eddie George was a tall back as well.

Eh George is 6’2... A ton of RB in that 6’1 / 6’2 range. Adrian Peterson is right in that range too. But not many in the 6’4 range. Henry is the best tall RB example. I wasn’t thinking about him. McFadden was the only one I could think of who was abnormally y’all and killed it.

Eh George is 6’2... A ton of RB in that 6’1 / 6’2 range. Adrian Peterson is right in that range too. But not many in the 6’4 range. Henry is the best tall RB example. I wasn’t thinking about him. McFadden was the only one I could think of who was abnormally y’all and killed it.
Eddie George and Derrick Henry are the same size. Eddie George did it at a time when the average player wasn't as big as they are today.

EDIT: They are both 6'3". Henry is about 7 to 12 lbs heavier though.

Eric Dickerson was a decent back. He was 6’3”.

He had world record treadmill prowess.
He was as fast as advertised in high school, I just think people underestimate how much he transformed his body in his EE semester. Dude was lanky as hell in high school and could be playing against teams like White House with 5'6" 160lbs starting LBs. When he finally bulked up and filled out his 6'4"ish frame he lost a bit of that speed and quickness.

Eddie George is 6'3.

He was as fast as advertised in high school, I just think people underestimate how much he transformed his body in his EE semester. Dude was lanky as hell in high school and could be playing against teams like White House with 5'6" 160lbs starting LBs. When he finally bulked up and filled out his 6'4"ish frame he lost a bit of that speed and quickness.
Imo, his biggest problem is that he was starting from a standstill 2 seconds into the play while the opposing defense was moving into position. Dobbs knew how to react on the fly, Hurd just couldn't do it.

I know a lot of folks are excited about getting interest from LJ Johnson...and he's an elite RB...but I think Cody Brown is the top RB in the nation. I have seen him play a handful of times and he is absolutely dominant against the toughest teams in GA high school football. I don't care what he runs in the 40 because he's got plenty of speed with the pads on to break long runs. His natural ability at RB is off the charts. He's the type of player that instantly elevates an offense and can take over games.

I know a lot of folks are excited about getting interest from LJ Johnson...and he's an elite RB...but I think Cody Brown is the top RB in the nation. I have seen him play a handful of times and he is absolutely dominant against the toughest teams in GA high school football. I don't care what he runs in the 40 because he's got plenty of speed with the pads on to break long runs. His natural ability at RB is off the charts. He's the type of player that instantly elevates an offense and can take over games.
any desire to get LJ doens't necessarily equate to downgrading any thoughts on Cody....i think it's the opposite actually.

you maybe could get 2 top 5 RB's this cycle.....we used to get top RB's in the same class/b2b classes fairly regularly...so many great tandems we've had. UGA has been doing it basically every year/every other year too........

it's easy enough to split time/carries, and i think we've seen already in several schools that you can still send multiple backs to the NFL, maybe not the same year, but 1 right after the other....realtiavely commonly. plus, you have the added benefit of shared work load, reducing the wear and tear on the body.

if the LJ deal is a real thing, i say go get it. Gray, has mabe 2 years left. T. Evans is a 2 year guy....so if you did get both of these kids, the depth char after year one kinda takes care of itself.

bring me another cobb/webb, lewis/henry type duo............among others.

They played nobody to get there. IIRC the only played like 1 or 2 teams that were even in the top 50 of offenses. And I think those were their two losses.
They beat Stanford and Wisconsin that year. They are in the little 10 so of course their schedule wasn't great. Their losses were Michigan and Iowa. Neither had world beater offenses. Still, having a top 10 ranked defense is nothing to sneeze at.

They beat Stanford and Wisconsin that year. They are in the little 10 so of course their schedule wasn't great. Their losses were Michigan and Iowa. Neither had world beater offenses. Still, having a top 10 ranked defense is nothing to sneeze at.
Except that Dobbs and squad made them look silly.

I was at the game and the fans at least were shell shocked. They went from "I cant believe we have to play Tennessee instead of a real team" to "can we forfeit the 4th".

I know it wasnt an offensive play but Berrys int in the end zone and return for a TD at the end of the game summed up the game perfectly. Even our second string D was dunking on them.

It was like watching ND play Bama for the National Championship game.

With Butchs success against the Big 10 I dont know why one of the small schools dont give him a chance.

Except that Dobbs and squad made them look silly.

I was at the game and the fans at least were shell shocked. They went from "I cant believe we have to play Tennessee instead of a real team" to "can we forfeit the 4th".

I know it wasnt an offensive play but Berrys int in the end zone and return for a TD at the end of the game summed up the game perfectly. Even our second string D was dunking on them.

It was like watching ND play Bama for the National Championship game.

With Butchs success against the Big 10 I dont know why one of the small schools dont give him a chance.
Are we still paying him?

VN Store

Back