'21 GA RB Cody Brown

Offensive system held them both back
Kamara fit the system perfectly. He was just under utilized. 13 TDs on 143 touches in 2016. 5.6ypc. 9.8 per catch. Yet it seemed the only play we had drawn up for him was a shotgun goal line set, motion him out, then hit him in the flats. Worked great against the cupcakes. Got lit up when we did the exact same thing, for like the 6th straight game, against UGA.

Reactions: Devo182
Kamara fit the system perfectly. He was just under utilized. 13 TDs on 143 touches in 2016. 5.6ypc. 9.8 per catch. Yet it seemed the only play we had drawn up for him was a shotgun goal line set, motion him out, then hit him in the flats. Worked great against the cupcakes. Got lit up when we did the exact same thing, for like the 6th straight game, against UGA.
Well Butch did promise Jalen Hurd 10,000 touches if he came to UT. Gotta keep your promises.

So this kid isn't big enough for TE. Will we be able to make him a FB or a LB?
SsLkoMZ.gif

This kid is what Jalen Hurd would’ve been if Hurd was RB size instead of WR/TE size. He doesn’t quite have that speed but Hurd wouldn’t have either if he was 6” shorter. Hard to tackle, tough, not afraid of contact and wants to house it going north and south.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Hurd didn’t quite have that speed as advertised either

Hurd should’ve been moved to WR, obviously. We would’ve had Kamara at RB1 and Hurd, Malone, Preston Williams and Jauan Jennings at WR. FOUR NFL receivers and one of the top RB in the league.

A 6’4 RB busting through the LOS is much different than 5’10. The only one I can think of that made that work was Darren McFaddon (6’3) and Hurd wasn’t on that level. Plus our staff was awful at play calling and situational football.

Last edited:
He never played at that speed and wasn't good at making people miss. Good just not as good as I expected him to be.

Remember the bowl game when Hurd lined up in the 'I' formation for a number of Carrie's? He looked dominant (granted it was against Northwestern, I believe), but it would have been nice to see that set used a whole lot more than it was.
Offset I. Butch let DeBord try it in short doses in the bowl game. It was very promising in said short dose. Remain convinced that Butch promised both DeBord and Hurd that it would be incorporated in the offense the next season...and then he reneged. Saw a hint of it against Appy and on the first play against Bama. You could’ve lined up Hurd in either the spread or the offset I and switched when the defense presented itself. Would’ve kept teams from teeing off on Hurd in that slow developing spread imo. And both Hurd and Kelly would have flourished similarly since they were more explosive to the line. All personal theory but the signs are there. End result, Hurd quit midseason and transferred and DeBord “retired” for about a month. 😒

He never played at that speed and wasn't good at making people miss. Good just not as good as I expected him to be.

Because he was a WR playing RB lol. Eric Gray is your shifty RB. Hurd was a long strider who just ran hard. Not much shiftiness at all.

Hurd should’ve been moved to WR, obviously. We would’ve had Kamara at RB1 and Hurd, Malone, Preston Williams and Jauan Jennings at WR. FOUR NFL receivers and one of the top RB in the league.

A 6’4 RB busting through the LOS is much different than 5’10. The only one I can think of that made that work was Darren McFaddon (6’3) and Hurd wasn’t on that level. Plus our staff was awful at play calling and situational football.
Hard to say he should have been put at WR when he would have shattered the all time rushing record had he stayed...

Hard to say he should have been put at WR when he would have shattered the all time rushing record had he stayed...
It would have been a record that doesn't mean isht...Even if Hurd had not quit, he might not be in the top 10 best backs at Tennessee...he was just just a dude with a ton of carries.

Chuck, Jamal, the Travis's, Reggie, Jay, Alvin etc etc etc would have obliterated any number Hurd put up if they had that many carries.

Worst vision for a running back I have seen in a while . Yes he would have broke the mark but a thousand carries for 2.5 ypc, you would have broke the record too.
dude...i'd say 85% of the runs Hurd made were in to a wall of bodies. there wasn't much to see lol.

the few times he did get in to space, he generally made things happen...that run against UGA in 15 where he trucked the safety herchel style...was awesome.

personally , i loved hurds running style. he was hard as hell to tackle, he never stopped moving his feet/legs, and was really, really physical at contact.

agree with @butchna on the formation stuff. he was never ever used correctly except in that one game.

VN Store

Back