Fulton at Maryville

Thunder Good-Oil

I wonder if an ESPN network will broadcast it. Actually, it might be a Saturday night game... so probably not. Locally, it might generate more hype than a few of the UT games this fall. Go Falcons!

Reactions: 1 person
Not from the Knoxville area but am familiar with MHS football and Coach Quarles. I am sure this is a huge game on Friday nights, but don"t compare it to UT. Not even close!

Last edited:
I anticipate very little "hype" around the Western Carolina game. North Texas will generate a bit of a buzz due to their upset over Bill Battle 40 years ago.

Fulton finally playing Maryville will be "locally" huge.

No doubt this game will have hype. Both these teams have alot of turnover from last year's squad's, I could really see this game coming down to coaching. Fulton better be ready for those Maryville trick plays, almost no doubt that Quarles will use one. I say Maryville-28 Fulton-21. Looking foward to my Central Bobcats first game vs South Doyle. GO BOBCATS!

Maryville wins. Probably by 2-3 touchdowns. Fulton lost a lot of good players the last couple years

Would be nice to see Maryville test themselves against a top out of state team. Doesn't look like they're up to the challenge though.

Would be nice to see Maryville test themselves against a top out of state team. Doesn't look like they're up to the challenge though.

At least most maryville fans have stopped saying they're one of the top teams in the country. It would feel a lot different lining up against some powerhouse from Florida/Texas/etc than it is to play heritage.

Reactions: 2 people

Bob I hate to say this but FINALLY something you and I can agree upon! I feel like GQ will never let that happen due to his team could lose confidence.

Bob I hate to say this but FINALLY something you and I can agree upon! I feel like GQ will never let that happen due to his team could lose confidence.

i really hope you are kidding....losing confidence. after last years comeback against Hendersonville?

As a Rebel supporter I have no desire to drive to another state to watch a game. I would love to see Maryville play Ensworth,Brentwood Academy or MBA. Fulton is a great team on Maryville's schedule.

I don't think losing confidence is the issue. I think Quarles is content being the big fish in a small Tennessee public school pond and doesn't want the challenge of a good out of state or good instate private school (MBA, Enswoth, BA) opponent and that is ok.

As a Rebel supporter I have no desire to drive to another state to watch a game. I would love to see Maryville play Ensworth,Brentwood Academy or MBA. Fulton is a great team on Maryville's schedule.

No out of state team would come here?

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think losing confidence is the issue. I think Quarles is content being the big fish in a small Tennessee public school pond and doesn't want the challenge of a good out of state or good instate private school (MBA, Enswoth, BA) opponent and that is ok.
What exactly would Quarles have to gain by playing a powerhouse out of state. Sure, I'm sure some $ would be a benefit, but I seriously doubt they are in need of cash. Other than bragging rights, I don't really see anything to gain. It's not like they are a school that needs a big win to make a name for themselves. They have a lot more to lose than gain so I wouldn't bother with playing out of state either.

A state title is the only thing that is important to the Rebels and the risk of injury / confidence in playing an out of state powerhouse just isn't worth it IMO.

He has addressed this in the past. To do it, he would have to drop the Alcoa game and he doesn't want to do that as it is too important for Blount County.

What exactly would Quarles have to gain by playing a powerhouse out of state. Sure, I'm sure some $ would be a benefit, but I seriously doubt they are in need of cash. Other than bragging rights, I don't really see anything to gain. It's not like they are a school that needs a big win to make a name for themselves. They have a lot more to lose than gain so I wouldn't bother with playing out of state either.

A state title is the only thing that is important to the Rebels and the risk of injury / confidence in playing an out of state powerhouse just isn't worth it IMO.

What do MBA, BA, Ensworth, Oakland, Blackman, MUS, Union City etc have to gain by playing great out of state competition?

He has addressed this in the past. To do it, he would have to drop the Alcoa game and he doesn't want to do that as it is too important for Blount County.

Having to play Alcoa plus all the Blount County teams and District play severely limits any games available to play any other teams...and there is no reason to do it.

A lot of people that want Maryville to play out of state teams want one thing. They want to see Maryville get their butt kicked. A lot of people would love to see a team like Miami Booker T Washington Lay a 55-0 whipping on Maryville like they did Norcross 2 years ago.

All I Care about is seeing Maryville win that 6A State Title. I am realistic enough to know a team like Miami Booker would kill Maryville. Maryville Doesn't put out 10 D1 Athletes a year like some of those prep powerhouses.

All of them are fools then, I guess.
Seriously, it was a smart alack answer to a smart alack question. We are talking about Maryville and their situation not the other schools whose situation is different. I'm not sure why you are questioning Quarles' strategy on who he plays. I'm pretty sure he's figured it out and if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
Seriously, it was a smart alack answer to a smart alack question. We are talking about Maryville and their situation not the other schools whose situation is different. I'm not sure why you are questioning Quarles' strategy on who he plays. I'm pretty sure he's figured it out and if it aint broke, don't fix it.
That's why I posted that Quarles is content being a big fish in a small pond and doesn't want to challenge himself. Nothing wrong with it either way.

VN Store

Back