Fulton at Maryville

I'm sure you were friends with Scott Word (and the Heustess brothers Ed and Brad). He was our best player and his dad (Ralph) was the coach. He was a great guy and I played with a kid named Bernie Gladden who wasn't much of a basketball player on that maroon team but a very good baseball player who I also think was on your '89 championship team.

Yea I was friends with all of those guys, I actually talked to Brad and Ed this week. I don't see Scott much when I visit, his dad Ralph passed about 6 years ago. Scotts dOing good, owns his own business. I knew Bernie but he was a few years behind me.

Reactions: 1 person
Yea I was friends with all of those guys, I actually talked to Brad and Ed this week. I don't see Scott much when I visit, his dad Ralph passed about 6 years ago. Scotts dOing good, owns his own business. I knew Bernie but he was a few years behind me.

Are you in town for the game today? If not, I will catch up with you in Vegas the week of New Years when I am in Vegas. I would probably know who you are if I knew your name. Drinks on me.

Are you in town for the game today? If not, I will catch up with you in Vegas the week of New Years when I am in Vegas. I would probably know who you are if I knew your name. Drinks on me.

Yea I'd probably know you as well. Sounds good about New Years week. No I'm not in town

Maryville recruits but so does a lot of other teams....Maryville just does it better and puts more effort into making their school appealing to kids.

i've been hearing this for 15+ years and no one has ever provided any proof of this. if they are recruiting, someone would have uncovered their secret by now. I only ask for some proof before i believe it.

Rarely is there a star D-1 player coming out of their teams, so, what is the appeal? Maryville's academic standing is quite strong but is that a reason with all of the other good schools around here? most D-1 hopefuls really don't look to academics as a draw, so what would the appeal be? MHS has an old building, small town atmosphere, not even a Red Lobster!

in their 'hay day', did Oak Ridge and Dobyns Bennett get accused of recruiting? I wasn't here then, but I just wonder. Does Farragut recruit great baseball players? With all of their success, why hasn't anyone accused them of recruiting (which IMHO, that would be cheating).
thank you in advance for clearing this up for me.

i've been hearing this for 15+ years and no one has ever provided any proof of this. if they are recruiting, someone would have uncovered their secret by now. I only ask for some proof before i believe it.

Rarely is there a star D-1 player coming out of their teams, so, what is the appeal? Maryville's academic standing is quite strong but is that a reason with all of the other good schools around here? most D-1 hopefuls really don't look to academics as a draw, so what would the appeal be? MHS has an old building, small town atmosphere, not even a Red Lobster!

in their 'hay day', did Oak Ridge and Dobyns Bennett get accused of recruiting? I wasn't here then, but I just wonder. Does Farragut recruit great baseball players? With all of their success, why hasn't anyone accused them of recruiting (which IMHO, that would be cheating).
thank you in advance for clearing this up for me.

I use to consider it a big deal and that Maryville was cheating when I was in high school. Now I see it is pretty rampant in all sports including girls basketball from several different schools. You are allowed to attend any school that you want too but are suppose to pay tuition at that school. I know some of the kids that have transferred in and am positive that the kids parents are not paying the 2,200 dollar tuition fee. Maryville has an excellent system that they get kids started as early as 7-8 all the way through high school.

If my kids get good enough at sports....my daughter already is at basketball.....I don't know if I want them to attend WB where they are zoned for at this time.

Reactions: 1 person
Parents are just sending their kids to schools where they can be successful. I remember back in like 91 or 92, Alcoa had a group of freshman basketball players that most started on varsity. Only one of them lived in Alcoa and his entire family had gone to Alcoa. They never won state but they went to state like 4 years in a row. Did they recruit??? No, these kids grew up playing AAU ball together and wanted to play together in HS. Does Maryville get kids that come from out of their school zone? Yes is it illegal No.

VN Store

Back