Fulton at Maryville

How did this thread get sidetracked? I thought this was Maryville vs Fulton thread. Both teams are powerhouse programs in Tennessee.

Maryville and Alcoa offered Ensworth and MBA to play in the Blount Kickoff classic in 2011 and 2012. Both schools declined. Instead Webb and Cleveland played in the Blount Kickoff classic. I would love to see Maryville play the mid state privates. Maryville has 7 region games. They will always play Alcoa and Heritage. Fulton is their other game. After playing Fulton 2 years Maryville may pick up another school.

Another thing. One reason I could care less about playing out of state is the home cooking. Blackman was absolutely robbed in 2013 when they went to Bowling Green KY. That was a travesty.

Every non-BG fan acknowledged that. I had moved from BG at that time but my dad said it was a complete joke. BG is a bunch of asses anyway. They beat the county HS a county over 82-0 in either 2014 or 13. They're a good program but they've rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in the southern KY market.

Maryville was absolutely embarrassed in a scrimmage vs Ensworth a year or 2 ago played in Cookeville and Quarles said as much. 6A is not necessarily the best ball just because it's the highest classification. Why won't they play an MUS, Ensworth, McCallie caliber of team in state or step out and play a regional power?

Meanwhile Ensworth has played L'Ville Trinity, McCallie and Blackmon have played Bowling Green, MUS has played South Panola.

Where did you play in FL? It's a separate argument, but I have little doubt Maryville would be a .500 team if they're playing a Broward, Dade or Hillsborough Co schedule.
Scrimmages mean absolutely nothing. Of course the highest classification doesn't mean they are the best team - but to discount their success makes you look foolish. I hate these hypothetical arguments because they are just that - hypothetical. All we have to go on regarding Maryville is their success - and you can't argue how successful they are. Are they the best team in the state every year - probably not. But again, who cares, I'm sure they are satisfied with winning another state championship. As far as not playing the top teams in the state - I'm pretty sure the decision to play Fulton takes care of that argument.

I played in Orlando and played college football as well as coached football, so I do know a thing or two about it. You seem intent on dogging Maryville and we'll just have agree to disagree. However, I hope you do realize how silly you look acting like Maryville is not a top program and the basis of your argument is they won't play out of state and in your opinion, would only be a .500 team if they played in FL. :eek:lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Saw that Fulton is starting a freshman qb
Saw that too - will be interested in seeing how good Fulton is this year. On paper it seems like they will be down this year, but I'm not going to bet against them - except for the Maryville game.

Wish we could have had this matchup the last two years - that would have been exciting to see.

They play inferior east TN teams all year long whereas the schools from middle and west TN are fighting it out and getting banged up.

Inferior competition in East Tennessee?

Since 2010 East Tennessee teams have won 19 of the 40 state championship games played. That's almost half, leaving the other half split between middle and west Tennessee combined.

Yeah, that really sounds like "inferior" competition to me. :post-4-1090547912:

I'll never understand how some in the rest of the state comes up with such nonsense.

If you want to be the best, you have to play the best.

That’s one of the reasons Hoover and Clay-Chalkville will start the 2015 high school football season on a road trip to Murfreesboro, Tenn.

On Saturday, the Alabama prep powerhouses will face Tennessee teams with similar aspirations – Blackman High School and Oakland High School – in the inaugural Middle Tennessee Football Classic. The games will not be televised.

“We’re tickled to death for those guys to come up here,” said Oakland coach Kevin Creasy, whose team will play Hoover. “And we’re going to treat them good. We’re going to treat them right.”

And try to beat them.

Saturday’s victors will earn recognition that extends beyond state lines, energizing their fan bases as well as interest from the media and college recruiters. Meanwhile, the financial payoff is expected to be less than these schools would pocket at a sold-out home game.

Still, the exposure and experience is a valid tradeoff. John Jones, the event’s organizer, said Hoover and Clay-Chalkville received guaranteed money and hotel lodging. They will also receive about 7.5 percent of ticket sales.

And what better way to prepare for a state title run than to play a team with similar goals?

“It forces you to be more than ready,” said Clay-Chalkville coach Jerry Hood whose Cougars, the defending Class 6A champions, are ranked 18th in USA TODAY Super 25 preseason football rankings. The Cougars will face Blackman. “You get a chance to turn up the intensity a lot quicker than you would if you just played in a jamboree this week.”

Clay-Chalkville returns six players on offense and two on defense. Hoover, a three-time defending state champ, including last season’s 7A title, returns three starters on offense and defense.

"It's about competing,” said Hoover coach Josh Niblett. "We don't care where it's at, what time it's at or who it is. It's just a chance for us to compete."

Also last season, Blackman reached Tennessee’s 6A state quarterfinals and Oakland advanced to Tennessee’s 6A state semifinals. Both programs are now led by first-year head coaches.

So consider this the Yellowhammer State versus the Volunteer State. Barbeque against Hot Chicken. American Idol stars head-to-head against the Grand Ole Opry.

To get here from Birmingham, travel north on Interstate 65 until Interstate 24-East and arrive at Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium on the Middle Tennessee State University campus. The doubleheader starts at 4 p.m. Tickets are $15.
Big challenges

Throughout the nation, the best of the best prep teams often spend part of their non-region schedule playing out-of-state opponents.

On Aug. 29, Colerain, ranked 10th nationally by USA TODAY, opens the season against Warren Central (Ind.) in the Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown in Cincinnati. That same day, Miami Central (Fla.), ranked third nationally, will travel to Maryland to play sixth-ranked DeMatha Catholic.

In Alabama this week, there are nine games involving an out-of-state opponent.

Remember, Miami Central traveled to Hoover and beat the Bucs in last year's season opener. Hoover also played Colquitt County (Ga.) in a home-and-home series in 2013 and 2014, and all three of the Bucs non-region games this season are against out-of-state opponents.

In Louisiana, John Curtis, 26-time state champions since 1969, will play Shades Valley on Sept. 11 in the Landers Auto Battle on the Border in Shreveport, La.

“They get to go on the road, learn how to be prepared, eat a pre-game meal, just learn about the preparation for life (after football),” said Curtis coach J.T. Curtis, whose Patriots have played out-of-state opponents for two decades.

“It’s not just showing up. You can’t get distracted. You’re there to enjoy the trip, but take care of business.”

In 2012, John Curtis dominated one of these games, beating Tampa’s Plant High School 33-3. The victory launched Curtis into conversations for a mythical national championship, which the school earned later that year.

Hoover’s in-state dominance and out-of-state matchups during the last decade, coupled with game broadcasts in front of an ESPNU audience and "Two-A-Days," MTV’s reality show profiling the 2005 and 2006 teams, created its national brand.

Central-Phenix City, ranked behind No. 1 Hoover and No. 2 Clay-Clalkville in AL.com’s preseason Power 25, will play Georgia schools Stockbridge (Aug. 21) and Harris County (Aug. 28), as well as Texas-based Triple-A Academy (Oct. 9).

“Tennessee has a long way to go to catch up with Louisiana and Alabama and Georgia, but they’re starting to play out of state opponents,” Creasy said. “I bet there’s probably 20 teams in Week 1alone that are going outside of Tennessee.”
Social media pushes prep football to global audience

Despite more than 200 miles of distance between the Alabama and Tennessee schools, many of these players know each other or know of each other.

They compete for many of the same college football scholarships and face off against each other during the summer at college football camps. Clay-Chalkville quarterback Ty Pigrome and Oakland defensive tackle Ty Nix both have offers from MTSU.

Oakland’s JaCoby Stevens has offers from a Who’s Who of college football.

"We're looking for a chance to test ourselves after a great offseason," said Hoover running back Galien Richardson, a senior. "We learned a lot during the offseason, came together as a team and we're trying to see where we're at."

Also, recruiting websites from Rivals to MaxPreps rank the nation’s best prep teams, creating interest in unique matchups.

“(Before social media) Hoover was just a school three and a half hours away you heard was good,” said Jones, who is also a booster club parent at Oakland.

“But now you get to see what they’re doing. I was online the other day and saw them working on a pot luck dinner. Now it’s easier to reach out to people and make these types of things a reality. You feel closer.”

Here's a look at notable games this season for Alabama teams vs. out-of-state opponents:

Friday: Hewitt-Trussville vs. Montgomery-Bell (Tenn.) Academy; Hoover vs. Oakland (Tenn.); Clay-Chalkville at Blackman (Tenn.); Spanish Fort at D'Iberville (Miss.); Muscle Shoals vs. Memphis-East; Scottsboro at Dalton (Ga.); Monroe Academy vs. Lancaster Christian (Tenn.); Dothan vs. Navarre (Fla.); Collinwood (Tenn.) at Wilson

Aug. 28:Madison Academy vs. Ensworth (Tenn.); Rogers vs. Loretto (Tenn.); Florence vs. Whitehaven (Tenn.); St. Paul's vs. St. Stanisiaus (Miss.); North Sand Mountain vs. Dade County (Tenn.); Cleburne County vs. Haralson County (Ga.); Flomaton vs. Jay (Fla.); Hoover vs. Manatee (Fla.)

Sept. 25:Gadsden City at Goose Creek; Muscle Shoals vs. Pearl-Cohn (Miss.); Red Bay vs. Belmont (Miss.); Auburn vs. Sandy Creek (Ga.)

Oct. 30: Hoover vs. North Marion (Fla.)

Scrimmages mean absolutely nothing. Of course the highest classification doesn't mean they are the best team - but to discount their success makes you look foolish. I hate these hypothetical arguments because they are just that - hypothetical. All we have to go on regarding Maryville is their success - and you can't argue how successful they are. Are they the best team in the state every year - probably not. But again, who cares, I'm sure they are satisfied with winning another state championship. As far as not playing the top teams in the state - I'm pretty sure the decision to play Fulton takes care of that argument.

I played in Orlando and played college football as well as coached football, so I do know a thing or two about it. You seem intent on dogging Maryville and we'll just have agree to disagree. However, I hope you do realize how silly you look acting like Maryville is not a top program and the basis of your argument is they won't play out of state and in your opinion, would only be a .500 team if they played in FL. :eek:lol:

I never said they're not a top program in TN. Your reading comprehension is severely lacking if that's what you gathered. I said they're not necessarily the best program in the state and on a grander scale they're barely a blip on the radar. A program that has won 13 titles in 15-20 years is practically an unknown whereas Enworth has been a top 25 program nationally several times and have only been in existence for 10 years.

A scrimmage matters in the sense it's a chance to gauge where you're at, why play them then? It doesn't count in the W-L column but it's indicative of who the better team is that day,if nothing else, same as any other 1 game setting. Quarles acknowledged that they were not on Ensworth's level at that time. Maybe by the end of the season they were, we'll never know. Wanting to see Maryville prove themselves against the other bests in the state or on a national level is not foolish. If it is, then I'll accept being foolish.

Inferior competition in East Tennessee?

Since 2010 East Tennessee teams have won 19 of the 40 state championship games played. That's almost half, leaving the other half split between middle and west Tennessee combined.

Yeah, that really sounds like "inferior" competition to me. :post-4-1090547912:

I'll never understand how some in the rest of the state comes up with such nonsense.

How many have been privates? And how many of those state champs did Maryville play? You're also including them in that 19, which they don't play themselves so that's irrelevant.

Last edited:
How many have been privates? And how many of those state champs did Maryville play? You're also including them in that 19, which they don't play themselves so that's irrelevant.

Webb and West won state titles. Alcoa was runner up. Maryville won all those games easily.

I never said they're not a top program in TN. Your reading comprehension is severely lacking if that's what you gathered. I said they're not necessarily the best program in the state and on a grander scale they're barely a blip on the radar. A program that has won 13 titles in 15-20 years is practically an unknown whereas Enworth has been a top 25 program nationally several times and have only been in existence for 10 years.

A scrimmage matters in the sense it's a chance to gauge where you're at, why play them then? It doesn't count in the W-L column but it's indicative of who the better team is that day,if nothing else, same as any other 1 game setting. Quarles acknowledged that they were not on Ensworth's level at that time. Maybe by the end of the season they were, we'll never know. Wanting to see Maryville prove themselves against the other bests in the state or on a national level is not foolish. If it is, then I'll accept being foolish.
Easy there sparky - my comprehension is fine. You said you aren't even sure they are the top team in the state and have been completely dogging them, so pardon me for inferring you don't believe they are a top program. Everything you have said up to this point has indicated that.

As far as unknown, they've been ranked in the USA today poll - so that is not unknown.

Scrimmages are certainly a gauge, but you play to find your weaknesses and fix problems. Again, if all you can come up with is a poor scrimmage, that speaks volumes.

I've never said it was foolish to play out of state teams (maybe your comprehension needs work), I just said what does he have to gain. They are obviously not worried about recognition and the respect of folks like you.

I'm curious why you don't think adding Fulton to the schedule isn't playing top teams in the state? I think everyone would say they were definitely tops the last two years in the state.

George Quorles (sp?) seems like a great guy, and coach. I just get annoyed at the maryville fans (some not all) that think they are one of the top teams in the country. Which has died down some since they don't have that huge winning streak anymore. Also helicopter parents that move their 5'8 130lb kid to maryville thinking he's going to be a star.

Reactions: 2 people
Easy there sparky - my comprehension is fine. You said you aren't even sure they are the top team in the state and have been completely dogging them, so pardon me for inferring you don't believe they are a top program. Everything you have said up to this point has indicated that.

As far as unknown, they've been ranked in the USA today poll - so that is not unknown.

Scrimmages are certainly a gauge, but you play to find your weaknesses and fix problems. Again, if all you can come up with is a poor scrimmage, that speaks volumes.

I've never said it was foolish to play out of state teams (maybe your comprehension needs work), I just said what does he have to gain. They are obviously not worried about recognition and the respect of folks like you.

I'm curious why you don't think adding Fulton to the schedule isn't playing top teams in the state? I think everyone would say they were definitely tops the last two years in the state.

Fulton is a great program in the state historically and they along with Alcoa are likely they're toughest games. Both respectable opponents. My position isn't for Quarles needing or even wanting to prove himself or his program, it's for the fans. I met too many arrogant Maryville alums in my time at UT who thought/think they could hang on a national scale, based on what they've accomplished in TN, hence my position of "prove it".

Fair or not, I respect Blackman more as a program for playing teams like Bowling Green, Hoover and Clay. Based on what these other top programs around the nation do from an exposure and scheduling standpoint I just find it odd that Maryville has no desire or interest in doing that. It seems like any competitor would ultimately want to prove more. I'm not arrogant enough to think my opinion matters to to the Maryville fans or program, but it's a message board and that's what it's for; to express opinions.

Last edited:
Maryville Academy should be required to play in the private school division along with the other schools that recruit student athletes.

Quarles is obviously a good coach, but that job is like being the manager for the Yankees; you have to try to not win state. They have the best facilities in the Knoxville area and a very high recruiting budget.

Reactions: 2 people
Maryville Academy should be required to play in the private school division along with the other schools that recruit student athletes.

Quarles is obviously a good coach, but that job is like being the manager for the Yankees; you have to try to not win state. They have the best facilities in the Knoxville area and a very high recruiting budget.

Your moniker is very apropos to your comments.

They really don't have to recruit much. Parents move/pay for their kids to go there thinking they're going to be a star

The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Legislative Council will vote on seven proposed changes aimed at leveling the playing field between public and private schools in a specially called meeting Tuesday at the DoubleTree Hotel.

The Daily News Journal obtained a memo outlining the proposal that was sent to all member schools and will be released to the media on Friday.

The proposals came from the TSSAA staff. The Legislative Council last month voted 5-4 against a complete public-private split.

The proposed changes could force some of the 24 private schools competing in Division I to go to Division II, which allows schools to offer need-based financial aid to athletes. The proposed changes also could force some public schools that accept out-of-county athletes who pay tuition to play in Division II.

TSSAA proposal could move schools to Division II

You're exactly right and I'm one of those people. Being the best in TN is fine, and I'm not sure that's even the case. They play inferior east TN teams all year long whereas the schools from middle and west TN are fighting it out and getting banged up. I think they come into the playoffs fresher and have the benefit of playing east TN teams again in the first few rounds. But most every Maryville fan, and many east Tennessean's in general, I've met have a grossly misconstrued view of how good their program is, on a grander scale.

The first time I watched Maryville I couldn't understand the hype. I watched them play and immediately thought of 4-5 FL schools that we faced as a piddly 2-A school that would rake Maryville over the coals. That's not even remotely getting into the Broward-Dade Co schools or Orlando area. Maryville would be about a .500 team in FL playing a 4A or 5A schedule.

Ah, the middle Tennessee butthurtness of lack of success in the post-season against the East Tennessee powers rises to the surface.

Newsflash: every school recruits, public and private. Some of them are just better at it than others.

I am Fulton alum and a big Falcon supporter. They did lose a huge amount of talent from last year and will have a tough row to hoe on Saturday. They are starting a freshman QB and do still have some great athletes. The game is at Maryville and that is tough, as well. I am not going to make excuses, I think that Maryville is better this year. These are two great programs with great coaches, but I think Maryville wins by 20 or so. Fulton will fight and make some plays, but I don't think that they can hang in there for the whole game. I do sincerely hope that I am wrong.

VN Store

Back