Fulton at Maryville

That's why I posted that Quarles is content being a big fish in a small pond and doesn't want to challenge himself. Nothing wrong with it either way.

Guess I was reading too much into your comment about not being up to the challenge which sounded negative. :)

Quarles is the best coach in the state by a mile. I would love to see what he would do at a place like Brentwood Academy or Ensworth. Would be scary.

Maryville wins. Probably by 2-3 touchdowns. Fulton lost a lot of good players the last couple years

Yes, the last two years have been Fulton's best teams ever and and they arguably could have played Maryville toe-to-toe. Too bad they didn't play. This year Maryville probably has more talent than Fulton, but we'll see what happens.

Quarles is the best coach in the state by a mile. I would love to see what he would do at a place like Brentwood Academy or Ensworth. Would be scary.

Scary? What could he accomplish at either B or E that would surpass or even equal what he has achieved at Maryville? Nada!

As a Quarles fan, I would love to see him become a position coach at UT and work his way up to OC. The man gets the most out of every crap of talent his team has.

National recognition? I believe Maryville finished 15 or so in the USA Today rankings last year.

Agreed, MHS has been ranked nationally for years.

Honesty, I don't think Maryville has any openings in it's schedule to play teams outside Tennessee. What rival should they stop playing?

A lot of people that want Maryville to play out of state teams want one thing. They want to see Maryville get their butt kicked. A lot of people would love to see a team like Miami Booker T Washington Lay a 55-0 whipping on Maryville like they did Norcross 2 years ago.

All I Care about is seeing Maryville win that 6A State Title. I am realistic enough to know a team like Miami Booker would kill Maryville. Maryville Doesn't put out 10 D1 Athletes a year like some of those prep powerhouses.

You're exactly right and I'm one of those people. Being the best in TN is fine, and I'm not sure that's even the case. They play inferior east TN teams all year long whereas the schools from middle and west TN are fighting it out and getting banged up. I think they come into the playoffs fresher and have the benefit of playing east TN teams again in the first few rounds. But most every Maryville fan, and many east Tennessean's in general, I've met have a grossly misconstrued view of how good their program is, on a grander scale.

The first time I watched Maryville I couldn't understand the hype. I watched them play and immediately thought of 4-5 FL schools that we faced as a piddly 2-A school that would rake Maryville over the coals. That's not even remotely getting into the Broward-Dade Co schools or Orlando area. Maryville would be about a .500 team in FL playing a 4A or 5A schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
You're exactly right and I'm one of those people. Being the best in TN is fine, and I'm not sure that's even the case. They play inferior east TN teams all year long whereas the schools from middle and west TN are fighting it out and getting banged up. I think they come into the playoffs fresher and have the benefit of playing east TN teams again in the first few rounds. But most every Maryville fan, and many east Tennessean's in general, I've met have a grossly misconstrued view of how good their program is, on a grander scale.

The first time I watched Maryville I couldn't understand the hype. I watched them play and immediately thought of 4-5 FL schools that we faced as a piddly 2-A school that would rake Maryville over the coals. That's not even remotely getting into the Broward-Dade Co schools or Orlando area. Maryville would be about a .500 team in FL playing a 4A or 5A schedule.

Much of what you say is totally irrelevant and just an opinion.....everyone has one. Maryville is the best 6A school in this state, which is all they have to worry about. Middle and West Tennessee teams just don't make the cut in 6A and other divisions as well........of course......they are getting banged up aren't they?

Much of what you say is totally irrelevant and just an opinion.....everyone has one. Maryville is the best 6A school in this state, which is all they have to worry about. Middle and West Tennessee teams just don't make the cut in 6A and other divisions as well........of course......they are getting banged up aren't they?

The #6 seed in Ravenwoods side of the bracket last year was 8-2 Centennial. Maryville's side fell off from 8-2 after the 3 seed. Of the 4 regions combined W-L records, the east TN region was the worst. Maryville had the easiest path to the semis of any other region.

What's irrelevant? Maryville wants to be taken serious as the best team in the state and nationally relevant but won't play the privates outside of a scrimmage here and there and won't play an OOS power.

I've been spoiled by the opportunity of watching and playing against some of the best HS football in the country. Maryville just doesn't impress me on a grander scale than TN whatsoever.

Cry me a river. All I heard these years when Maryville was 4A WHEN there were 5 public school classes in Tennessee was this. Wait till they play the BIG BOYS. Wait till Oak Ridge and the Rutherford County Schools get a hold of them. We will show them what football is all about. Of course back then a Rutherford County team was going to the State Title game every year. They always said playing tough schedule prepared them for a tough team that they played in the semifinals. Now that Maryville moved up and hasn't lost to a Rutherford County team the excuses for Rutherford county is they play too tough of a schedule.

Cry me a river. All I heard these years when Maryville was 4A WHEN there were 5 public school classes in Tennessee was this. Wait till they play the BIG BOYS. Wait till Oak Ridge and the Rutherford County Schools get a hold of them. We will show them what football is all about. Of course back then a Rutherford County team was going to the State Title game every year. They always said playing tough schedule prepared them for a tough team that they played in the semifinals. Now that Maryville moved up and hasn't lost to a Rutherford County team the excuses for Rutherford county is they play too tough of a schedule.

I'm not crying a river. I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm not from TN, didn't attend HS in TN and don't have kids at a TN school. I was just put off by the arrogance of people from Maryville in my 4 years at UT. I've seen many of the "power" teams in TN step out and play powers from elsewhere or play the privates like Ensworth and McCallie while Maryville lives in their bubble. Big fish, little pond syndrome.

This story about Hoover vs Oakland is a good read on the differences in philosophy's.

MURFREESBORO – Hoover graduated 18 players off of last year’s Alabama Class 7A state championship team that signed football scholarships at various levels.

In contrast, Oakland High had eight sign.

“Who really rebuilds, and who reloads,” Oakland first-year coach Kevin Creasy said when given those numbers recently. “Hoover reloads. There is no doubt about that.”

Hoover and Clay-Chalkville — Alabama’s defending Class 6A state champion — will travel to Murfreesboro this weekend to participate in the inaugural Middle Tennessee Football Classic presented by Venture Express.

Clay-Chalkville plays Blackman at 4 p.m. Saturday followed by Hoover and Oakland at 7 p.m. Both games are at MTSU’s Floyd Stadium. Tickets cost $15 and are available from Ticketmaster.

Hoover coach Josh Niblett, who has won four state titles at Hoover said playing out of state competition is nothing new to his program.

“That’s what this program is about,” Niblett said. “We like to play teams out of state. We want to find the best in any other state.

“We fly to Allen, Texas, next year to open our season. We like to play a lot of really, really good teams with good tradition. That’s the only way to find how good your team is.”

Hoover (12-2) returns just three players on each side of the ball. The defense is led by Florida commitment Jeremiah Moon, a linebacker, and cornerback P.J. Hall, who has several college offers.

The Buccaneers have played teams from the ’Boro before. They hosted Blackman in the 2014 regular-season finale, winning 35-20.

Halfback Quincy Cox and wide receiver Jimmie Johnson are key personnel to the Bucs offense.

“You don’t replace who we lost,” Niblett said. “We may have to re-vamp our identity.”

Hoover has won 10 state championships.

Oakland is coming off a 12-2 season. Former Oakland coach Thomas McDaniel left for Christian Brothers after the season and was replaced by Creasy, who won three state championships at Trousdale County.

Oakland returns two starters on offense and four on defense.

The Patriots have been dinged up in the preseason. Linebacker Jackson Cauthen has been out with an MCL sprain and is questionable for the season opener. Cornerback Quintavious Boyd, who has an offer from Tennessee Tech, has also been sidelined. His status for the Hoover game is also not known.

Being the best in TN is fine, and I'm not sure that's even the case. They play inferior east TN teams all year long whereas the schools from middle and west TN are fighting it out and getting banged up.

Maryville would be about a .500 team in FL playing a 4A or 5A schedule.

I don't have a dog in this fight since I'm not from Maryville - but some of your comments are laughable. To say you're not even sure they are the best in TN is ridiculous. Year in and out, they are winning at the highest level and doing it convincingly. I think the results speak for themselves. Maryville is not always the most talented team, but Quarles definitely gets the most out of his players. Could they match up with the FL powerhouses, of course not - that is obvious. The talent pool in Maryville is not that deep. However, I think you are selling them short by saying they would not be a .500 team. I grew up in FL and played football there. There are very few coaches as good as Quarles in any state - he has been beating more talented teams his entire career.

It would be fun to see them play out of state teams, but as I mentioned earlier, he really has nothing to gain except the respect of people like you. I think his priorities are in the right place.

but some of your comments are laughable. To say you're not even sure they are the best in TN is ridiculous.

Yes, that is perhaps the most ridiculous comment of all. "He's not sure?" Who really cares if "he's not sure," since he isn't the final arbiter of which team(s) is/are "quality" team(s). Maryville has dominated their classification for the last decade, the only thing they have to do. Perhaps the "detractor" should qualify his remarks with," imvho"........and I am not from Maryville either.......with no ties there.

I don't have a dog in this fight since I'm not from Maryville - but some of your comments are laughable. To say you're not even sure they are the best in TN is ridiculous. Year in and out, they are winning at the highest level and doing it convincingly. I think the results speak for themselves. Maryville is not always the most talented team, but Quarles definitely gets the most out of his players. Could they match up with the FL powerhouses, of course not - that is obvious. The talent pool in Maryville is not that deep. However, I think you are selling them short by saying they would not be a .500 team. I grew up in FL and played football there. There are very few coaches as good as Quarles in any state - he has been beating more talented teams his entire career.

It would be fun to see them play out of state teams, but as I mentioned earlier, he really has nothing to gain except the respect of people like you. I think his priorities are in the right place.

Maryville was absolutely embarrassed in a scrimmage vs Ensworth a year or 2 ago played in Cookeville and Quarles said as much. 6A is not necessarily the best ball just because it's the highest classification. Why won't they play an MUS, Ensworth, McCallie caliber of team in state or step out and play a regional power?

Meanwhile Ensworth has played L'Ville Trinity, McCallie and Blackmon have played Bowling Green, MUS has played South Panola.

Where did you play in FL? It's a separate argument, but I have little doubt Maryville would be a .500 team if they're playing a Broward, Dade or Hillsborough Co schedule.

Last edited:
Yes, that is perhaps the most ridiculous comment of all. "He's not sure?" Who really cares if "he's not sure," since he isn't the final arbiter of which team(s) is/are "quality" team(s). Maryville has dominated their classification for the last decade, the only thing they have to do. Perhaps the "detractor" should qualify his remarks with," imvho"........and I am not from Maryville either.......with no ties there.

So I have to say IMO when I'm already saying "I'm not sure if they're the best"? Doesn't that qualify as an opinion to begin with? I'm sorry I didn't use the interwebs lingo that fits you.

Maryville was absolutely embarrassed in a scrimmage vs Ensworth a year or 2 ago played in Cookeville and Quarles said as much. 6A is not necessarily the best ball just because it's the highest classification. Why won't they play an MUS, Ensworth, McCallie caliber of team in state or step out and play a regional power?

Meanwhile Ensworth has played L'Ville Trinity, McCallie and Blackmon have played Bowling Green, MUS has played South Panola.

Where did you play in FL? It's a separate argument, but I have little doubt Maryville would be a .500 team if they're playing a Broward, Dade or Hillsborough Co schedule.

Maryvile embarrassed Ensworth in a scrimmage this year. But! It's just a scrimmage.

Maryvile embarrassed Ensworth in a scrimmage this year. But! It's just a scrimmage.

That's because Maryville will never make it any more and they'll obviously never meet in the playoffs. I personally think the privates and publics should be grouped together and playoffs be all encompassing. In FL there's not separate divisions for both classifications and you get a better idea of a "true" champion, it's all done on enrollment. Which makes a public with little resources bearing a private school that recruits, all the sweeter.

On another note, I've read this is one of weakest Ensworth teams in a while. Williamson and Rutherford Co are attracting the population growth and the athletes. Ensworth and Bowers are gonna have to sweeten the recruiting pot to pull talent back in.

Last edited:
That's because Maryville will never make it any more and they'll obviously never meet in the playoffs. I personally think the privates and publics should be grouped together and playoffs be all encompassing. In FL there's not separate divisions for both classifications and you get a better idea of a "true" champion, it's all done on enrollment. Which makes a public with little resources bearing a private school that recruits, all the sweeter.

On another note, I've read this is one of weakest Ensworth teams in a while. Williamson and Rutherford Co are attracting the population growth and the athletes. Ensworth and Bowers are gonna have to sweeten the recruiting pot to pull talent back in.

Maryville and Alcoa offered Ensworth and MBA to play in the Blount Kickoff classic in 2011 and 2012. Both schools declined. Instead Webb and Cleveland played in the Blount Kickoff classic. I would love to see Maryville play the mid state privates. Maryville has 7 region games. They will always play Alcoa and Heritage. Fulton is their other game. After playing Fulton 2 years Maryville may pick up another school.

Another thing. One reason I could care less about playing out of state is the home cooking. Blackman was absolutely robbed in 2013 when they went to Bowling Green KY. That was a travesty.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back