Fulmer Backs Pruitt

I don't think it's a throwaway year, it's a "get bigger, get better" year. And I think Fulmer's got the right perspective. He wants Tennessee to win big at everything. He wouldn't have sent UCLA packing when they sniffed after Barnes if he didn't. want Tennessee to win big at everything. Just hope we see the improvement by year's end and heading into the next season.

Welp folks, the kiss of death has arrived.

II gotta say if you actually read the transcrpt that does not sound like a kiss of death "I support JP". That sounds like the real deal. endorsement. Funny comment:

We had lots of issues to deal with. And we have a really outstanding, good-looking freshman class. We have seven seniors that are busting their butt, and a lot of other kids on the team, as well.

LOL that tells you what he thinks of where the talent and drive is on our team.

Reactions: Bret178
I don't think it's a throwaway year, it's a "get bigger, get better" year. And I think Fulmer's got the right perspective. He wants Tennessee to win big at everything. He wouldn't have sent UCLA packing when they sniffed after Barnes if he didn't. want Tennessee to win big at everything. Just hope we see the improvement by year's end and heading into the next season.

Great post! I think about 70% of this board (non Pruitt believers) will change their tune by the end of November next year. The man is great at recruting, development, x's and o's. He just needs to be better as a HC and will be there by this time next year. If given time and UT continues to get top 15 or better talent, the results will DEFINITELY BE THERE in 2021. Hell, I am like all others. My patience is beyond thin! I wanted a 7-8 win season. But, I seriously think UT can still win 5-6 should BM or JTS emerge as the answer to our QB woes!!!

Last edited:
II gotta say if you actually read the transcrpt that does not sound like a kiss of death "I support JP". That sounds like the real deal. endorsement. Funny comment:

???? Please elaborate more for us to know EXACTLY what you mean.

Great post! I think about 70% of this board (non Pruitt believers) will change their tune by the end of November next year. The man is great at recruting, development, x's and o's. He just needs to be better as a HC and will be there by this time next year. If given time and UT continues to get top 15 or better talent, the results will DEFINITELY BE THER in 2021. Hell, I am like all others. My patience is beyond thin! I wanted a 7-8 win season. But, I seriously think UT can still win 5-6 should BM or JTS emerge as the answer to our QB woes!!!

I agree if bm or jts play qb, but not a chance with jg. And I am afraid Pruitt is going to stick with jg, or if either of the others make a mistake he will bench them and go right back with jg. I hope I'm wrong and either of the two back ups, or both get a chance to see what they can do. I don't feel either one of them will be worse than jg right now, and will continue to improve with each game.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
The right move for Phil Fulmer is to fire Jeremy Pruitt in November-December 2020 if Tennessee is as bad in 2020 as they are now because 3 years are long enough for a losing head football coach!

If you still think Pruitt is the right man for the job at this point, you don’t care about winning anymore.

Reactions: 14VolFan88

It’s the truth nobody here wants to really accept and blame the bad football on pruitt. Pruitt gets paid to shoulder the blame I’m just saying stop for a minute, breathe, and look at the roster. Every single person I would trust to asses an SEC team has said this isnt it yet, but that young class looks really good.

If Pruitt really has a winning system then give him the time. If he doesn’t then all these “fans” can have a field day running him out of town and that’s fine. But if he bails on his system just to appease rabid fans or boosters we will never fix the problem.

The right move for Phil Fulmer is to fire Jeremy Pruitt in November-December 2020 if Tennessee is as bad in 2020 as they are now because 3 years are long enough for a losing head football coach!
I think that’s fair, we better not be that bad this time next year. I think it’ll take into 2021 to be good but we should be a 6-7 win team at least next year .. maybe more depending on d line performance and qb.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I think that’s fair, we better not be that bad this time next year. I think it’ll take into 2021 to be good but we should be a 6-7 win team at least next year .. maybe more depending on d line performance and qb.
3-4 wins are possible I think in 2020 if Tennessee is playing at their very,very best.

It would be nice if it works out for once. But just incase I hope Fulmer is responsible enough to start preparing now for a coaching search so we don't get caught with our pants down again.
He is. I got the mailer yesterday.

It wont help with recruiting at all if Tennessee has a disastrous 2019 and has pretty much the same in 2020.

That's not entirely true. Recruits will jump ship if they think Pruitt could be fired. If Fulmer backs him, then he can sell his vision.

Most people just don’t grasp what Pruitt inherited. He can do big things here, he needs a lot of support from us to help him recruit.

Fulmer & company are still working on support than needs to be changed away from what the fans see.

If everyone is together, this can be fixed. But it’s going to take everyone. And the realization that it’s not a easy fix.

Wow!!! Never expected the "Vote of Confidence" this early. A clear sign that Pruitt is on the chopping block. What Fulmer said is irrelevant. What is important is that " he has to address it" that tells us everything.

Most people just don’t grasp what Pruitt inherited. He can do big things here, he needs a lot of support from us to help him recruit.

Fulmer & company are still working on support than needs to be changed away from what the fans see.

If everyone is together, this can be fixed. But it’s going to take everyone. And the realization that it’s not a easy fix.

I'm convinced that, even if we part ways with Pruitt, we need to string together a few back-to-back, strong recruiting classes. Coaching may be suspect at this point, but they have proven they can recruit. I say give them what they need to be successful at that and then, if/when the next coach comes in, he has something to work with.

The togetherness should start with Pruitt continually ripping half his team

Short of a 1-11 season that ones hard to interpret as the kiss of death. He listed too many inherited deficiencies Pruitt had to correct and then gave credit for improvements.

If he had just said "Pruitt is a good coach and he's working like heck" without any of the "knew it would take time" reinforcement I could maybe see it as the kiss of death.

I'm also glad he addressed and refuted all the Fulmer takes over as HC rumors from the peanut gallery.
While I have a lot of reservations about Pruitt as a head coach, I will say this freshman class is probably one of the best classes we have had in a long time. I guess Fulmer is putting all his eggs into one basket, he will rise or fall with Pruitt

VN Store

Back