*****Freak's night before the Akron game, admittedly off topic thread

So I’m retiring in 10 days after 24 years in Law Enforcement. A couple friends went in and got me a RecTec pellet grill/smoker as a retirement gift. I burned it in tonight and it’s ready to go. What say you all as to the first cook? What’s a no brainer, no fail, great cook that will make my wife fall in love with it?

If you don’t have a ton of experience smoking I suggest a pork butt. Throw your favorite rub on it, 250 in the smoker until internal hits between 200 and 204 (depending if you want your pork soft or firm). Electric pellet smokers are easy so you don’t need to do a whole lot for anything you cook, really. Unless you do ribs and follow a 3, 2, 1 type of recipe.

Steak above is nice idea too, but my edges are always medium well while the center is med rare. Depends on if you mind that.

Reactions: scottvols69
Whole ribeye reverse seared….
Marinade with Dales, season heavily with Rufus Teague and coarse salt, smoke to 125F internal and sear to 145F. Slice and enjoy.
Post pics in the Grill and BBQ thread in the Pub, please!

If you don’t have a ton of experience smoking I suggest a pork butt. Throw your favorite rub on it, 250 in the smoker until internal hits between 200 and 204 (depending if you want your pork soft or firm). Electric pellet smokers are easy so you don’t need to do a whole lot for anything you cook, really. Unless you do ribs and follow a 3, 2, 1 type of recipe.

Steak above is nice idea too, but my edges are always medium well while the center is med rare. Depends on if you mind that.
When mine hits 160 I wrap it.

I'm late to the party on account we didn't know til now if we'd get our meat order in time or not. But we're assured it will arrive by 1PM today, so:
Pronghorn antelope salisbury steaks alongside a crispy baked potato topped with sour cream sauce and sauted onions and garnished with a few chopped chives and a pat of butter. Flooded down with Hen House brand oyster stout beer. But only because I couldn't get my hands on any Schlitz beer.

Reactions: joevol33
So I’m retiring in 10 days after 24 years in Law Enforcement. A couple friends went in and got me a RecTec pellet grill/smoker as a retirement gift. I burned it in tonight and it’s ready to go. What say you all as to the first cook? What’s a no brainer, no fail, great cook that will make my wife fall in love with it?
Grill everything! Ribeye, chicken, ribs, pork chops 🤣

Yeah, it really is kind of surprising that a game like this is sold out.
If you build it, they will come. I expect if UT beats Fla next week every home game will be a sellout the rest of the season. TN fans support their teams when they excel.

A butt or a monster tomahawk for sure

Had fried chicken and all the standard sides, and local honey for the biscuits. It randomly hit me to draw General Neyland since I've never done that, and found a cool reference, and let that pencil kungfu commence.

I'm dumb. lol
Let’s see the drawing when done brother

VN Store

Back