*****Freak's night before the Akron game, admittedly off topic thread

Volunteer08

So I’m retiring in 10 days after 24 years in Law Enforcement. A couple friends went in and got me a RecTec pellet grill/smoker as a retirement gift. I burned it in tonight and it’s ready to go. What say you all as to the first cook? What’s a no brainer, no fail, great cook that will make my wife fall in love with it?
If you don’t have a ton of experience smoking I suggest a pork butt. Throw your favorite rub on it, 250 in the smoker until internal hits between 200 and 204 (depending if you want your pork soft or firm). Electric pellet smokers are easy so you don’t need to do a whole lot for anything you cook, really. Unless you do ribs and follow a 3, 2, 1 type of recipe.

Steak above is nice idea too, but my edges are always medium well while the center is med rare. Depends on if you mind that.

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Steak above is nice idea too, but my edges are always medium well while the center is med rare. Depends on if you mind that.
This is where the reverse sear method comes in handy.

If you REALLY want to impress, do a beef tenderloin, reverse seared, finish only to around 125 before resting.

Mccage

If you don’t have a ton of experience smoking I suggest a pork butt. Throw your favorite rub on it, 250 in the smoker until internal hits between 200 and 204 (depending if you want your pork soft or firm). Electric pellet smokers are easy so you don’t need to do a whole lot for anything you cook, really. Unless you do ribs and follow a 3, 2, 1 type of recipe.

When mine hits 160 I wrap it.

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I'm late to the party on account we didn't know til now if we'd get our meat order in time or not. But we're assured it will arrive by 1PM today, so:
Pronghorn antelope salisbury steaks alongside a crispy baked potato topped with sour cream sauce and sauted onions and garnished with a few chopped chives and a pat of butter. Flooded down with Hen House brand oyster stout beer. But only because I couldn't get my hands on any Schlitz beer.

joevol33

trampoline king
So I’m retiring in 10 days after 24 years in Law Enforcement. A couple friends went in and got me a RecTec pellet grill/smoker as a retirement gift. I burned it in tonight and it’s ready to go. What say you all as to the first cook? What’s a no brainer, no fail, great cook that will make my wife fall in love with it?
Grill everything! Ribeye, chicken, ribs, pork chops 🤣

SoddyAllVol

A butt or a monster tomahawk for sure

VN Store