FORUM DARK MODE beta version

You are welcome. Color is an odd thing. Generators can help dial it in, but color is oddly enough about more than simply "color". The generators are a good start but size of the elements and the proximity to other colors can really skew the results.

The palette I linked has a couple of your colors and also some suggested compliments. Oddly enough I picked the orange in the palette from a screenshot of VN and got the F77F00 version.

You can lock the colors you know you want, and then just hit the spacebar to generate new complimentary choices until you see something you want to work with.

I would go with ONE dark, one medium, your orange, and a white / grey period. Like right now the sidebar area is straight up black, the page background is I think #141414, and the comment area BG is something else. I would lose the true black sidebar for a start.

Good luck, color is interesting and infuriating all at once!
Thanks for all the info. Is this something you deal with in your job or just a hobby?

I'll mess around with it and take a look.

The issue I personally had on my phone with the original version of the dark mode I released, was that it was just too busy. All the orange abasing the dark background, white separator lines, action buttons. My goal was to try to make some of that noise disappear into the background so that reading the actual post, becomes a bit easer ... at least in my mind.
Yes! I thought it was too busy, too. I had a hard time deciphering what I wanted to read and what was the actual post that was being quoted. It is much easier to read now and flows a lot smoother, especially when trying to skim.

Reactions: Brillovol and Freak
If you guys have more suggestions, be sure to let me know if you're on the mobile version or desktop. I feel like the mobile version is getting close to resembling a final product, while the desktop version still needs a ton of tweaking.

Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible for the site to detect the system setting and apply a theme? My iPhone is light during the day and dark mode at night and there are apps which work that way, but was curious if websites can do the same

Thanks for all the info. Is this something you deal with in your job or just a hobby?

I have worked with web / UI design off and on for years. Typically passion projects that last a while and then die. Much respect for keeping VN alive and thriving for so long. You created something special here.

Currently I am engaged in a war of terror on both color and typography. We are launching a new business and I have to deal with coloring cement. Doing that consistently is proving to be a royal pain.

Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible for the site to detect the system setting and apply a theme? My iPhone is light during the day and dark mode at night and there are apps which work that way, but was curious if websites can do the same
That's a great question, one I thought of myself. But to answer, I'm not sure. It's definitely something I'll look into at some point.

Reactions: golfballs
Heh, it's turned into a visual spring cleaning extravaganza!

For the record, I blame the Missouri win for all of this - between those 62 points and the black jerseys it feels like everyone's all full of pep and excitement for a change. :p

That's a great question, one I thought of myself. But to answer, I'm not sure. It's definitely something I'll look into at some point.

You can detect if the user has a preference for color scheme set with the prefers-color-scheme media query. You would have different CSS styles for a dark and light theme, just inverting the colors basically. This is a good write-up on implementation. It may not support every browser out there but the phone people should be happy.

prefers-color-scheme: Hello darkness, my old friend

Reactions: Freak

VN Store

Back