For all of the Fire Tim Banks Folks

If he can swing someone the caliber of Aranda, then I think he should pull the trigger.

Don't think he has crossed paths with Heupel before and all these coaches seem to want some familiarty with their coordinators though.

I have been shying away from the Fire Banks camp this season.

The secondary has been glaringly bad in tackling and coverage and the LBs outside of Beasley haven't been far behind. Think that is more a result of Willie Martinez and some injuries at LB than the play calling from Banks.

I'd like to see what Banks could do with an influx of talent in both position groups. Speed can cover up a lot of mistakes on defense and this team hasn't had it this season.
we were playing a walk on DB, STAR players all banged up, starting linebacker out for season

I don't think Tim Banks is the guy. I keep hearing the talent excuse, but how do you say that when we give up points to teams that haven't been recruiting great talent either. You do have guys that were highly recruited on defense, but for the most part they're sitting the bench in favor of upperclassmen.
Our defense was better this year than last year. Our offense was terrible. With this years defense last year we may have won a natty.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
Pretty much. White told Heupel he would get time to build his team. I believe Heupel told banks the same thing. When you think about the injuries in the secondary, the thinnest of LBer to the point where you’ve got two true freshmen playing significant snaps. We have talent we just don’t have depth. Now all of that said there are some unforgivable examples of coaching failures on that side of the ball. For better or worse banks will get time to get his guys in.
Can he at least fire Martinez?

Reactions: Deebowbear
I remember when Dooley made this move and hired Sal Sunseri basically the end.
I remember when Butch made this move and hired Bob Shupe basically the end.
Sometimes you lose the players some leaving, some just mentally and a new scheme has growing pains and some players signed because of the type of scheme, can always get worse believe me. In today's climate you have to move cautiously until you're on top like UGA or Bama. It can cause discourse in a team trying to regain what was over 20 years ago.

I have been on the side of keeping Tim Banks throughout this season. I have researched and posted supportive stats, etc. Watching the Vandy game, we just looked pathetic on defense. Vandy scored 24 points on the Vols. That is more than they scored on Mizzou; UF; UGA; Ole Miss; Auburn and SCar. This certainly isn't indicative of an "Elite Defense," as CJH said was the standard under his watch. So we axe Banks, who do we get? How about Dave Aranda? I would be for upsetting the apple cart if we could swing that hire. Sure, he is still the HC at Baylor, but I wouldn't expect the folks in Waco to keep him around after this dismal season. I remember when Botch moved away from Jancek for Shoop, who was supposed to be our defensive savior, and it got only worse. I don't want to see that situation but I just can't argue for keeping him anymore.

did you watch the game? Vandy scored 14 point in the 4th quarter... the first was on an 8 yard rive because we fumbled a punt. Totally the defense's fault right? The second TD was with us up 45-17 with 10 mins left in the 4th quarter and was a 5 min drive. Now if you were watching this game you might have noticed things got really really chippy and refs started calling anything close to a foul to keep guys calm. This is not conducive to playing aggressive defense and neither was the score. Yes, those last 2 scores made the game look a lot closer than it was to anyone who didn't watch it. But no one watching that game ever at any point after kickoff had any thoughts Vandy was in that game.

I think calling off the dogs in the second half was a good move. Vandy's players had nothing to lose in that game, especially their seniors. They get ejected who cares... they are not in a bowl game. We however will be playing in a bowl. Getting ejected would negatively effect our players. So, the coaches dialing things back in the second half made perfect sense. I am also pretty sure that's why they limited the snaps Nico took. that late in the game trust me dreams of headhunting were in the heads of a lot of Vandy defensive players.

Context matters. Not a single point that Vandy scored mattered. The game was over in the first quarter. They converted 3-12 third downs and had 2.6 ypc on the ground. The defense gave Swann serious PTSD and about 7 concussions. Our defense is fine. In fact, I will go as far as to say our losses this year all were about the offense not clicking, and less about the defense. I will not be silly and say our defense is great... but it does show signs that once we get the right players its one to be feared.

Also as a weird aside who the hell is Will Brooks? The dude came out of nowhere and played ok.

Last edited:
I have been on the side of keeping Tim Banks throughout this season. I have researched and posted supportive stats, etc. Watching the Vandy game, we just looked pathetic on defense. Vandy scored 24 points on the Vols. That is more than they scored on Mizzou; UF; UGA; Ole Miss; Auburn and SCar. This certainly isn't indicative of an "Elite Defense," as CJH said was the standard under his watch. So we axe Banks, who do we get? How about Dave Aranda? I would be for upsetting the apple cart if we could swing that hire. Sure, he is still the HC at Baylor, but I wouldn't expect the folks in Waco to keep him around after this dismal season. I remember when Botch moved away from Jancek for Shoop, who was supposed to be our defensive savior, and it got only worse. I don't want to see that situation but I just can't argue for keeping him anymore.

Welp, looks like Aranda won't be available. Would definitely have been a homerun hire

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebowbear
I have to agree. He doesn’t have that kind of bone in him, I hope I’m wrong but we shall see.
How do you discount that no change may be the best play AT THIS TIME? Could we afford to lose the defensive side of this class if he replaced the DC and DB coach and RG decided he did not want a new boss as he would have no problem finding a landing spot. The portal could help, but big losses of the HS class would not be good, just don't know how bad it could be. Like it or not the Jimmys and Joes situation could get worse.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Pretty much. White told Heupel he would get time to build his team. I believe Heupel told banks the same thing. When you think about the injuries in the secondary, the thinnest of LBer to the point where you’ve got two true freshmen playing significant snaps. We have talent we just don’t have depth. Now all of that said there are some unforgivable examples of coaching failures on that side of the ball. For better or worse banks will get time to get his guys in.
I agree. How do you feel about that? On one hand some of the defensive performances were unacceptable and kind of a red flag moving forward. The injuries certainly didn’t help, but there were some head-scratching moments when everyone was healthy. On the other hand, there’s some good pieces coming in on that side of the ball and firing someone could sway those recruits away.

Mel Tucker is probably available.

did you watch the game? Vandy scored 14 point in the 4th quarter... the first was on an 8 yard rive because we fumbled a punt. Totally the defense's fault right? The second TD was with us up 45-17 with 10 mins left in the 4th quarter and was a 5 min drive. Now if you were watching this game you might have noticed things got really really chippy and refs started calling anything close to a foul to keep guys calm. This is not conducive to playing aggressive defense and neither was the score. Yes, those last 2 scores made the game look a lot closer than it was to anyone who didn't watch it. But no one watching that game ever at any point after kickoff had any thoughts Vandy was in that game.

I think calling off the dogs in the second half was a good move. Vandy's players had nothing to lose in that game, especially their seniors. They get ejected who cares... they are not in a bowl game. We however will be playing in a bowl. Getting ejected would negatively effect our players. So, the coaches dialing things back in the second half made perfect sense. I am also pretty sure that's why they limited the snaps Nico took. that late in the game trust me dreams of headhunting were in the heads of a lot of Vandy defensive players.

Context matters. Not a single point that Vandy scored mattered. The game was over in the first quarter. They converted 3-12 third downs and had 2.6 ypc on the ground. The defense gave Swann serious PTSD and about 7 concussions. Our defense is fine. In fact, I will go as far as to say our losses this year all were about the offense not clicking, and less about the defense. I will not be silly and say our defense is great... but it does show signs that once we get the right players its one to be feared.

Also as a weird aside who the hell is Will Brooks? The dude came out of nowhere and played ok.

Just thought this needed to be repeated.

Will Brooks is a walk on DB…believe he was playing safety. Looks like he plays on special teams mostly but we have a few injuries.

Will Brooks is a walk on DB…believe he was playing safety. Looks like he plays on special teams mostly but we have a few injuries.
A few is an understatement we were the walking wounded. just looking at starters and 2nd string most of the O-line half our WR's, injuries at LB and the secondary are rife.
Next year will be very interesting as we will go from being a really old team to a really young one. I think I saw somewhere we have 44 players with 4+ years on the clock. Thats more than half the roster.

Before we scream for CTB's to be fired, we must remember the attrition and loss of talent we had to overcome. CJH has recruited well, but it’s the attrition that has hurt. We’ve lost Key Lawrence , M. French, Mohan, Willis, McNeil, Terry, and Cam Miller to name a few. I know there’s more, but we could have used some of those guys, especially Key. Injuries have also been a problem. This has forced Will Brooks into the line up. Who was our leading tackler yesterday (4) solo 8 total. That gave him 18 on the season. Who would think Brooks would be a contributor? Not picking on him, but using him as a example of the talent level we have and why we are no better talent wise on defense than we have been over the last 20 years. Banks could have the best schemes in all of football, but he also needs the 5* and high 4* players to get it done. Burrell and Brooks type talents won’t win us championships. I’ve got to give Banks and Heupel props for getting the most out of what we have.
D did not give up 24. Fumbled punt inside five yard line up set up a late score against our backups. But whatever. Not sold on Banks but has not had a full deck and our offense did not do its part this year. You go fast, you better score more than 30 in SEC games against good SEC teams.

I will admit I am not a Banks fan at all...He has a terrible time adjusting and Martinez should be flipping burgers ar McDonalds or something...He's terrible...We have had the worst secondary the past few years than I have seen at UT...3 years is plenty of time to get the right recruits in place to fix it and they haven't...Losing to florida was just a nightmare as bad as they were this season..I know CJH is probably not gonna fire anybody but he had better be careful as it could be a downfall for him if he is too loyal.

I didn't read it. It may be a good article, but 99% of the stuff they post is very poor journalism and I just decided long ago to stop giving them clicks.
I understand. I hate click bate too. The article is good though (I thought).

I had to smile where it said this staff wants to compete for a Natty 2024. That's the way it needs to be. I'll assume the writer is only reporting and not making that up.

Our defense improved, does it need to get better, obviously
Gotta keep recruiting better players and add depth, the tide is turning, depth will improve, recruit recruit recruit

Agree.

The right players can make mediocre coaches look great and the wrong players can make great coaches look mediocre. Happens all the time, more noticeable with the QB position but valid across the board.

Banks would look a lot different if we had Georgia or Alabama’s roster, especially their DBs.
Tim Banks' defense would be terrible if he had great players.

VN Store

Back