For all of the Fire Tim Banks Folks

D line was solid. Our 1’s at backer was fine but injuries hit us hard and the drop off was steep as they over pursued constantly and took bad angles. In the secondary, I believe that we only had one true corner in Hadden, the rest would be better suited for safety.

If he continues to allow just 21 ppg we will continue to win at least 8 games/year. That’s a good floor for Tennessee Football. Everyone who thinks our defense should be as good as Alabama or UGA’s is kidding themselves. Banks has improved our defense TREMENDOUSLY.

Be thankful…

Doesn't really matter who the coordinator is as long as we keep under-recruiting
Ala and Ga, and often to Fla. They will continue to beat us until we can
match their recruiting (which is going to be several years).

We will have to accept 8-4 to 9-3 seasons for next 5 yrs minimum.
On the high end we may see 9-3 occasionally, depending on scheduling.

Reactions: JRich
What schemes would you run with our current roster?

You didn’t ask me, but here’s my 2 cents. I would identify what a teams weakest area is between running/ passing and QB run and I would sell out to stop the two things they were best at and make them beat me with what their weak area is. UGA being the exception because they can do all 3.

Reactions: TNStudMuffin
Agree.

The right players can make mediocre coaches look great and the wrong players can make great coaches look mediocre. Happens all the time, more noticeable with the QB position but valid across the board.

Banks would look a lot different if we had Georgia or Alabama’s roster, especially their DBs.

Great post and stated correctly...

What if I told you that we were in an alternate universe and Martinez is the DB coach?
I'd probably share my ignorance and ask the difference in Linebackers and DBs.

I don't know what kind of job BJM has done but our play on the DL and in the secondary has not been good (including poor linebacker play).
1701036141068.png

Reactions: sonofUT62
I'm on the fence with Banks but Martinez should definitely get canned.

The DL under CRG was awesome this year and the LBs started out strong before injuries and .... I think overcompensating for the secondary woes. I also think the secondary issues led to a drop off in Sacks, although the competition was certainly tougher down the stretch too.

Martinez will be replaced and that's probably the only change we'll see. I have no issue with that. We need an experienced secondary coach with a proven track record.

For the first time in Josh Heupel's coaching tenure, the defense won a game (aTm). Our scoring defense (38th) ranked higher than our scoring offense (41st). The defense got slightly better this year. The offense regressed quite a bit. Losing your OC, QB, top 2 WRs, a top 10 draft pick at tackle, and an all purpose TE will do that.

Our program is in great hands and in solid shape. We just need to continue to sign solid recruiting classes and grab some guys out of the portal to fill the gaps. Being disappointed with a 8-4 record is a great place to be.

Guess I've turned into a sunshine pumper. Wouldn't have thought that a few years ago, haha.

Martinez will be replaced and that's probably the only change we'll see. I have no issue with that. We need an experienced secondary coach with a proven track record.

For the first time in Josh Heupel's coaching tenure, the defense won a game (aTm). Our scoring defense (38th) ranked higher than our scoring offense (41st). The defense got slightly better this year. The offense regressed quite a bit. Losing your OC, QB, top 2 WRs, a top 10 draft pick at tackle, and an all purpose TE will do that.

Our program is in great hands and in solid shape. We just need to continue to sign solid recruiting classes and grab some guys out of the portal to fill the gaps. Being disappointed with a 8-4 record is a great place to be.

Guess I've turned into a sunshine pumper. Wouldn't have thought that a few years ago, haha.

Agreed and losing WR #1 and #4 really set back the passing game.

Yes, Martinez needs to be canned.

After the injuries this season, you have to wonder about strength and conditioning again. Do we need to make changes there too?

Great start to an important topic.
🍿

EDIT: The article linked by OP makes some great points and well-written.
AtoZ is rarely worth the click. I will have to trust your judgment.

However, if we cant understand that the defense was hamstrung due to jnjuries...why give CJH the benefit of a doubt for the lack of offensive production most of the year?

CTB like any coach needs talent to have an elite defense.

VN Store

Back