For all of the Fire Tim Banks Folks

If he continues to allow just 21 ppg we will continue to win at least 8 games/year. That’s a good floor for Tennessee Football. Everyone who thinks our defense should be as good as Alabama or UGA’s is kidding themselves. Banks has improved our defense TREMENDOUSLY.

Be thankful…
Thankful for mediocrity? This is Tennessee football not Kentucky or South Carolina

He plays a lot of quarters type coverage, which is basically a man type of D. Like a "soft" man coverage. He doesnt have the athletes nor the speed to play it, IMO. Plain and simple.
Well, I think that's in part because we blitz a good bit because we don't have the athletes to get QB pressure (against good teams) without blitzing...

Well, I think that's in part because we blitz a good bit because we don't have the athletes to get QB pressure (against good teams) without blitzing...
You may very well be correct. Which ever way... we need better talent all around to play good D in the SEC. Had a buddy, whos an old division 2 coach, tell me that GJL was our best CB and that he had better on his D2 squad. He may have been stretching a bit, but I got his point.

Reactions: Sarms58
If he can swing someone the caliber of Aranda, then I think he should pull the trigger.

Don't think he has crossed paths with Heupel before and all these coaches seem to want some familiarty with their coordinators though.

I have been shying away from the Fire Banks camp this season.

The secondary has been glaringly bad in tackling and coverage and the LBs outside of Beasley haven't been far behind. Think that is more a result of Willie Martinez and some injuries at LB than the play calling from Banks.

I'd like to see what Banks could do with an influx of talent in both position groups. Speed can cover up a lot of mistakes on defense and this team hasn't had it this season.
We also took a lot of hits with injuries. We played pretty good the first half of the season, seemed like losing Hadden was when we started looking really bad.

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent
You may very well be correct. Which ever way... we need better talent all around to play good D in the SEC. Had a buddy, whos an old division 2 coach, tell me that GJL was our best CB and that he had better on his D2 squad. He may have been stretching a bit, but I got his point.

Talent solves many problems...remember the D we have when we lined up Haynesworth and Henderson side by side at DT? We've got some very solid players on D but we lack having some elite level players...a Grant at safety...a Goodrich at corner...and an Al Wison at LB... hopefully some of our young guys will grow into these type players...

Reactions: jeff1vol
We also took a lot of hits with injuries. We played pretty good the first half of the season, seemed like losing Hadden was when we started looking really bad.

Very true.

As much as I had issue with Haddens theatrics, he did a good job mostly as the shut down corner early this season.

I lean towards keeping Banks, but that is mostly becuase I don't see us being able to find a better DC. We do need some change, primarily at DB Coach.

To me, I still think we have some work to do on the recruiting trail. We don't have the depth or development right now needed on our roster. Our recruiting classes for Pruitt's last year and Huepel's first year were not up to par.

We have done better in recruiting the last two years. Defensively speaking we have been able to add guys like Daevin Hobbs, Caleb Herring, Jordan Ross. These three guys were all rated 96 or higher on the composite. But, its worth noting all three guys are DL. We are building that department well and on a good trajectory. Elsewhere we haven't done as well, particularly DB. Some good instate recruits like Boo Carter and Kaleb Beasley, both rated 93, have committed. But outside of that we are struggling to attract the top LB and DB recruits. That brings me back to my point in needing to make a change at DB coach. Get some new blood in there and see if we can spark some excitement to recruits.

Reactions: JRich and Sarms58
Interesting. What part did you take exception with? I'm not trolling you. I really thought this article was well-written and curious what I missed.
I didn't read it. It may be a good article, but 99% of the stuff they post is very poor journalism and I just decided long ago to stop giving them clicks.

Heupel isn’t firing anyone. He should, but he won’t.
After the bowl game, I think we see lots of movement, with Banks and some others. There is a window when coaching firings and hiring's happen and we aren't quite at the sweet spot.

After the bowl game, I think we see lots of movement, with Banks and some others. There is a window when coaching firings and hiring's happen and we aren't quite at the sweet spot.
We’ll see, but I’ll be surprised if he makes any significant changes.

Heupel isn’t firing anyone. He should, but he won’t.
Pretty much. White told Heupel he would get time to build his team. I believe Heupel told banks the same thing. When you think about the injuries in the secondary, the thinnest of LBer to the point where you’ve got two true freshmen playing significant snaps. We have talent we just don’t have depth. Now all of that said there are some unforgivable examples of coaching failures on that side of the ball. For better or worse banks will get time to get his guys in.

Don't need 5 stars but we need better athletes in the secondary. Heupel has not recruited that area particularly well. He will have recruited his best CB in the upcoming class in Beasley. Boo Carter may get a first look at CB out of pure necessity. So did well this year. Next year he's got 2 CBs out of Alpharetta committed and another GA guy. It's a good start - we need to upgrade that position ASAP.
Matthews and Gibson are going to be good as well at CB. Safety is what scares me more at this point. Really need better back there imo.

Banks won’t be fired but he should be. I can understand injuries and lack of talent at certain positions but his flat out stubbornness cost us the UF game. It hurt us against Mizzou too (yes the offense sucked there so it’s not all on him) and the Vandy game was downright pathetic.

Who do we get? I don’t know. But there’s gotta be someone better out there.
That was the mindset when we ousted CPF without a solid replacement in hand. Hoped we had learned from that as a fanbase.

What makes anyone think a bigtime upgrade would want to follow Banks after a review of the roster and the injuries he had to work with this year? How many recruits do we lose if we dump the DC and DB coaches? Not sure what the relationships with our guys on that side of the ball are. Lots of moving parts to those types of changes.

VN Store

Back