For all of the Fire Tim Banks Folks

Tman44

God Father of Soul
I have been on the side of keeping Tim Banks throughout this season. I have researched and posted supportive stats, etc. Watching the Vandy game, we just looked pathetic on defense. Vandy scored 24 points on the Vols. That is more than they scored on Mizzou; UF; UGA; Ole Miss; Auburn and SCar. This certainly isn't indicative of an "Elite Defense," as CJH said was the standard under his watch. So we axe Banks, who do we get? How about Dave Aranda? I would be for upsetting the apple cart if we could swing that hire. Sure, he is still the HC at Baylor, but I wouldn't expect the folks in Waco to keep him around after this dismal season. I remember when Botch moved away from Jancek for Shoop, who was supposed to be our defensive savior, and it got only worse. I don't want to see that situation but I just can't argue for keeping him anymore.

I don't think Tim Banks is the guy. I keep hearing the talent excuse, but how do you say that when we give up points to teams that haven't been recruiting great talent either. You do have guys that were highly recruited on defense, but for the most part they're sitting the bench in favor of upperclassmen.

I have been on the side of keeping Tim Banks throughout this season. I have researched and posted supportive stats, etc. Watching the Vandy game, we just looked pathetic on defense. Vandy scored 24 points on the Vols. That is more than they scored on Mizzou; UF; UGA; Ole Miss; Auburn and SCar. This certainly isn't indicative of an "Elite Defense," as CJH said was the standard under his watch. So we axe Banks, who do we get? How about Dave Aranda? I would be for upsetting the apple cart if we could swing that hire. Sure, he is still the HC at Baylor, but I wouldn't expect the folks in Waco to keep him around after this dismal season. I remember when Botch moved away from Jancek for Shoop, who was supposed to be our defensive savior, and it got only worse. I don't want to see that situation but I just can't argue for keeping him anymore.

Zach Arnett

Not for nothing, but Indiana just fired Tom Allen.
IU had top of the class Defenses in the B1G when he was DC in 2017 and 2018.
He has ties to Mississsppi and has recruited Florida and Georgia pretty well with what IU can offer.

IF...big IF...Heupel moves on from Banks, it's a name worth mentioning.

With our offensive woes this year (which I am on the poor play calling bandwagon), I am grateful that our D showed up often. The bend but don't break D is hard to watch sometimes however, our D kept us in many games, so hard to point a finger and say that Mr. Banks is no longer worthy of leading the Tennessee Defense. I would put $100 on him being here next year.

If he can swing someone the caliber of Aranda, then I think he should pull the trigger.

Don't think he has crossed paths with Heupel before and all these coaches seem to want some familiarty with their coordinators though.

I have been shying away from the Fire Banks camp this season.

The secondary has been glaringly bad in tackling and coverage and the LBs outside of Beasley haven't been far behind. Think that is more a result of Willie Martinez and some injuries at LB than the play calling from Banks.

I'd like to see what Banks could do with an influx of talent in both position groups. Speed can cover up a lot of mistakes on defense and this team hasn't had it this season.

Before we scream for CTB's to be fired, we must remember the attrition and loss of talent we had to overcome. CJH has recruited well, but it’s the attrition that has hurt. We’ve lost Key Lawrence , M. French, Mohan, Willis, McNeil, Terry, and Cam Miller to name a few. I know there’s more, but we could have used some of those guys, especially Key. Injuries have also been a problem. This has forced Will Brooks into the line up. Who was our leading tackler yesterday (4) solo 8 total. That gave him 18 on the season. Who would think Brooks would be a contributor? Not picking on him, but using him as a example of the talent level we have and why we are no better talent wise on defense than we have been over the last 20 years. Banks could have the best schemes in all of football, but he also needs the 5* and high 4* players to get it done. Burrell and Brooks type talents won’t win us championships. I’ve got to give Banks and Heupel props for getting the most out of what we have.

Banks won’t be fired but he should be. I can understand injuries and lack of talent at certain positions but his flat out stubbornness cost us the UF game. It hurt us against Mizzou too (yes the offense sucked there so it’s not all on him) and the Vandy game was downright pathetic.

Who do we get? I don’t know. But there’s gotta be someone better out there.

Being reported that Baylor is giving Aranda another season.

First off, Heupel would try and hire someone he has worked with before and knows well. Not being able to get someone like that, then he would pursue others imo.

Not sure he would hire an ex head coach. Maybe he would but typically those guys have own ideas on running a program. Personalities would really need to synch.

IMO, he is not going to fire Tom Banks. Doubt the thought has entered his mind. Banks could possibly find another job but I doubt it's DC. It would have to be a head coaching job.

If anything is happening with any of the staff, I would think it has to be the next 7 to 10 days or not likely unless someone leaves later for another job.

Banks won’t be fired but he should be. I can understand injuries and lack of talent at certain positions but his flat out stubbornness cost us the UF game. It hurt us against Mizzou too (yes the offense sucked there so it’s not all on him) and the Vandy game was downright pathetic.

Who do we get? I don’t know. But there’s gotta be someone better out there.
Aranda,Arnett,Mason and I’m sure there will be others soon

Reactions: Ratvol
We've had some good DC's in the past. We've had Justin Wilcox, Shoop, Janek and now Banks. All are good DC's, but we never had the personnel to get it done. Hiring someone we feel is a better defensive mind than Banks, doesn't equate to success on defense for us.

Agree.

The right players can make mediocre coaches look great and the wrong players can make great coaches look mediocre. Happens all the time, more noticeable with the QB position but valid across the board.

Banks would look a lot different if we had Georgia or Alabama’s roster, especially their DBs.

Keep Banks, Garner, Ekeler. Replace Martinez. Not sure about DB coach
I honestly dont think replacing Martinez will solve the problem. Its Banks' philosophy. In his system, you need 5 star corners. Im mean EXCEPTIONAL. We are nowhere close to the talent necessary to run it. A new DC with a new system may be the way to go.

Banks has shown glimpses of being a competent DC.

Our LACK of a healthy LB room didn't help him at all this year.

EDGE is set for next year. DT worries me after Norman-Lott left
CB will need a transfer guy again, and for Beasley to contribute heavily as true freshman.
Safety will be improved now that practice sensation Tank Mculluogh will be gone.
But Linebacker is a huge question mark. Huge. Spillman can come in right away and start IMO.
Having a true freshman start there game 1 isn't optimal.

I don't think comparing vandys points yesterday is reflective of the true outcome. We muff a punt otherwise they only score 17. And we had a lot of subs in there for their final TD drive otherwise who knows maybe it's only 10. Add to it that game was their season and they played hard. Credit our guys for not letting it become close.

I don't know enough about football schematics to say if Banks is the problem. I only know that I despise seeing the corners play 10 yards back on 3rd and 5. I'm tired of making crappy qb's look like Heisman candidates. I suspect that Tim Banks can scheme and call for press coverage just as well as zone which means either Heupel is calling the shots, or we don't have the horses to press.

Either way I don't think a coordinator change makes a difference but I think a change in position coach might be worthwhile.

I honestly dont think replacing Martinez will solve the problem. Its Banks' philosophy. In his system, you need 5 star corners. Im mean EXCEPTIONAL. We are nowhere close to the talent necessary to run it. A new DC with a new system may be the way to go.
Don't need 5 stars but we need better athletes in the secondary. Heupel has not recruited that area particularly well. He will have recruited his best CB in the upcoming class in Beasley. Boo Carter may get a first look at CB out of pure necessity. So did well this year. Next year he's got 2 CBs out of Alpharetta committed and another GA guy. It's a good start - we need to upgrade that position ASAP.

What schemes would you run with our current roster?

VN Store

Back