Florida board score predictions for UF v. UT

If you break your arm patting Dan Mullen on the back for his job at Mississippi state and being a consistent 7-9 win coach at a dump of a school, then you better start handing out coach of the year awards to Kevin Sumlin bc A&M was a perineal doormat of the BIG12 and came into the SEC West and Sumlin was a consistent 7-9 win team every year there as well. Coached a Heisman winner. And he beat Alabama once in his tenure. Plus he Recruited very well.

Reactions: Pacer92
If you break your arm patting Dan Mullen on the back for his job at Mississippi state and being a consistent 7-9 win coach at a dump of a school, then you better start handing out coach of the year awards to Kevin Sumlin bc A&M was a perineal doormat of the BIG12 and came into the SEC West and Sumlin was a consistent 7-9 win team every year there as well. Coached a Heisman winner. And he beat Alabama once in his tenure. Plus he Recruited very well.
Texas A&M has signed a top 15 class since 2013 so I would say he had better athletes, wouldnt you?

Texas A&M has signed a top 15 class since 2013 so I would say he had better athletes, wouldnt you?

A&M was the Kentucky of the BIG12. And Sumlin was able to get talented players to come there.

I mentioned Sumlin recruited well in the post you quoted... Something Mullen appears to be unable to do, even in talent rich Florida.

If you think that A&M and Miss St are comparable schools as far as money and resources, you're sorely mistaken. That's like comparing an apple with a dump truck. A&M was not even a "perennial doormat of the Big 12." They were mediocre...not great, not terrible.

A&M has money and resources coming out of their ears. Sumlin caught lightning in a bottle with Manziel (who he didn't even recruit) and went 11-2, but then was unable to replicate anything approaching that in subsequent seasons. He only went 9-4 (4-4) with Manziel the season after he won the Heisman. Defense was his undoing that year, but in later years he also couldn't develop a QB or an offense. Had 2 5-star QBs leave the program back to back.

He did recruit well, which actually makes his perennial 8-5s look worse.

A&M was the Kentucky of the BIG12. And Sumlin was able to get talented players to come there.

I mentioned Sumlin recruited well in the post you quoted... Something Mullen appears to be unable to do, even in talent rich Florida.
A&M was not the Kentucky of the Big 12. That would be Kansas or Iowa State.

Geez - some people on here are just really bad at adjusting the "grades" of coaches based on the program at which they are coaching. That's a huge thing in college sports, where there is a gigantic gap between the money/resources of the big programs and the smaller ones.

Reactions: LittleVol

I agree Mullen needs to work on his recruiting if he wants to be a great but I will wait until after this year to say finalize he cant recruit in FL. If he cant land a top 10 recruiting class there he might as well pack it up. IMO Mullen is the better game day coach and the better teacher but thats JMO

A&M was not the Kentucky of the Big 12. That would be Kansas or Iowa State.

Geez - some people on here are just really bad at adjusting the "grades" of coaches based on the program at which they are coaching. That's a huge thing in college sports, where there is a gigantic gap between the money/resources of the big programs and the smaller ones.

Ok. My bad. He took a very mediocre A&M with its rich winning tradition of the late 1900’s and coached a Heisman winner there and had one 11 win season (comparable to Mullen’s 1 10 win season) and then basically won 7-9 games a year. Ok.

You’re right. That is MILES AND MILES apart. Lol.

I think Mullen is a good coach, probably a solid 10 win guy at Florida. Basically their Mark Richt. But I don’t buy that he’s the next Urban Meyer. Sorry.

Attachments

• 8EC794C5-667E-49FF-925D-744129412637.jpeg
    8EC794C5-667E-49FF-925D-744129412637.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm not hearing any chatter from their fans down here, that only happens when they have no confidence in winning. Message boards don't count.

well, we are in an unenviable position of trying to win back some respect after a disasterous season, but "that's why they play the game"...and,

GO VOLS!

Mullen kicked Justin Watkins off the team a few weeks ago for allegedly fighting with his girlfriend. Not sure about this dude at Mississippi State, but Mullen appears to be doing the right thing at Florida so far.

But UT was certainly willing to hire Mullen, in fact, it was been widely reported that UT and Mullen were very close to a deal. I doubt we would see any UT fan worrying about his disciplinary practices at Miss State had he been hired by UT instead of UF.
You have been here long enough to know better.

Ok. My bad. He took a very mediocre A&M with its rich winning tradition of the late 1900’s and coached a Heisman winner there and had one 11 win season (comparable to Mullen’s 1 10 win season) and then basically won 7-9 games a year. Ok.

You’re right. That is MILES AND MILES apart. Lol.

I think Mullen is a good coach, probably a solid 10 win guy at Florida. Basically their Mark Richt. But I don’t buy that he’s the next Urban Meyer. Sorry.
If you think that Miss St and A&M are comparable in terms of resources, money, institutional commitment to football, fanbase, etc., you know absolutely nothing about college football. If you think that 8-5 records at Miss St and A&M are equivalent, you aren't really following what is happening with any sort of analysis or critical thinking. Sumlin was pulling in top ranked recruiting classes one right after the other, coaching at a school with a 102,000-seat stadium, a cultish fanbase that is nuts about football, and money coming out of its ears. Mullen was coaching at a cowtown school with a fraction of the resources.

This isn't professional football. The programs aren't created equal.

I agree. But in a sense the Swampgas name carries with it an element of making fun of oneself. It sure does seem that the Gator fans on the whole are a lot more realistic about the upcoming season than some Vols fans that litter this board appear to be. Much more self-deprecating and gallows humor over there.

really? your feeling is that there are more unrealistic vols fans right now? UT is on its 4th post-Fulmer coach and the vast majority feel like 6-6 and a bowl is about what their level of expectation is. I've seen no "toothless hillbillies acting like the SEC is theirs this season " I would virtually guarantee that by count there are more Florida fans that feel like they can win the east than there are Vols fans that think UT is winning it and for sure more Florida fans that think they will beat UT than the other way around even though this is one of the most toss-up games for both teams this year.

really? your feeling is that there are more unrealistic vols fans right now? UT is on its 4th post-Fulmer coach and the vast majority feel like 6-6 and a bowl is about what their level of expectation is. I've seen no "toothless hillbillies acting like the SEC is theirs this season " I would virtually guarantee that by count there are more Florida fans that feel like they can win the east than there are Vols fans that think UT is winning it and for sure more Florida fans that think they will beat UT than the other way around even though this is one of the most toss-up games for both teams this year.
He's right that there isn't much self-deprecating humor here, though. People mention our struggles here, but if you start to poke fun at them (like I and others sometimes do) you get called a Negavol, an "undercover" fan of another team, etc.

I mean, last year for example was just laughably bad. There's no other way around it. It happened, so you might as well laugh at it. Especially now that it's over. Having said that even the Sunshine Pumpers here think we go 7-5 at best. I just hope we make a bowl.

I think he was referring to the naivete shown on both of the boards. No one who follows the game and the progress of the two teams thinks either UT or UF is going to win the SECe this year. If UGA manages to screw the pooch and not win it, they need to implode the campus and start over.

Its probably true that if you polled both UF and UT fans a majority would pick UF to beat UT this year. And let's assume that UF has a talent edge at the moment. Has that talent shown an ability to consistently perform? Absolutely not. The UF offensive line in partocular has maddeningly underperformed for the better part of a decade. Until that changes, predicting a UF result versus anyone is pointless.

So Butch Jones is a great QB coach because he coached up Josh Dobbs , Riley Ferguson and Nathan Peterman? Nah

Actually, all those guys underperformed under Butch, no? Talented guys who looked like total crap under Butch (exception being Dobbs who was a damn good player in my opinion).

So Mullen's predecessor won the east 2 of his 3 years there, No way Mullen does that with the east on the rise. I think the Gator fans won't be as excited about Mullen in 3 years without a SEC East Championship. JMHO
That may turn out to be true.

But Lyle, could not win it either during one of its weakest times.

Mullen is much better than Butch. That's all I was saying.

You are giving credit to Mullen’s for Cam Newton ? Come on .

Well, you wanna give credit to Malhzahn instead? I guess I can buy that. But, he had two years developing under Mullen at Florida, he shows up at Auburn and sets the world on fire. I absolutely think he learned a ton from Mullen and playing behind Tebow.

Can't defend the other stuff - BUT, the whole "graded as champions" comment from Mullen originated with Urban Meyer as he used to (and still does at Ohio State) grade players performance after games.

If Mullen says anything about a brick tho..............

Exactly. Has nothing to do with Butch Jones, “Champion” is the top grade players can receive after scrimmages and games. Urban Meyer used it as does Mullen and several other coaches from the Mullen tree.

Mississippi State is the Kentucky of the West. They have a career win % of .492 or some such. To have that team ranked #1 for an extended period of time, and to go 5-2 in bowls and win coach of the year in the SEC, and to win 60% of the games there, and to survive that school and leave for a better job on your own terms, says nothing other than this guy can coach.

Exactly. Has nothing to do with Butch Jones, “Champion” is the top grade players can receive after scrimmages and games. Urban Meyer used it as does Mullen and several other coaches from the Myer tree.

Actually, all those guys underperformed under Butch, no? Talented guys who looked like total crap under Butch (exception being Dobbs who was a damn good player in my opinion).
Dobbs was somehow overrated and underrated at the same time by our fans.

A&M was not even a "perennial doormat of the Big 12."
Let's not forget that without A&M beating K State in the Big 12 Championship in 1998, we likely don't even play Florida State in the title game. The Aggies had a pretty solid decade going back then with RC Slocum.

I was four wheeling in Royal Blue that day and I'll never forget sitting in camp listening to a dinky little portable radio and hearing that score come in, and going nuts because of what it meant for our bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

VN Store

Back