Florida board score predictions for UF v. UT

Two words .. Dak Prescott . Danny boy does well when he has a superstar QB to work with . Without one , Meh
That can be said for almost any coach in the country other than Nick Saban.

"He needs a superstar QB to work with" is more valid criticism when you're talking about a bigger program, like Gus at Auburn. Prescott and Fitzgerald weren't highly recruited guys at all; hell, Prescott wasn't even being recruited as a QB; and Mullen turned them both into really good players. It's undeniable the guy can coach and develop players, particularly QBs. It remains to be seen if he can recruit. The (very) early returns at Florida aren't good at all.

You have to take the school Mullen was coaching at into consideration. It isn't easy to be successful at Miss St, even if the team was in a crummy conference or division. He won 60% of his games there and almost half of his conference games playing in the toughest division in college football. Had them ranked #1 for 4 weeks in 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickster and Jaws
Two words .. Dak Prescott . Danny boy does well when he has a superstar QB to work with . Without one , Meh

It’s actually way more than Dak Prescott. Mullen has also coached/developed Alex Smith, Chris Leak (somehow made Leak a national championship winning QB despite not even being a close fit for the Mullen offense), Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Dak Prescott and was even making Nick Fitzgerald a household name. That’s dudes of all kinds of shapes, sizes and talents at QB who went on to thrive under Mullen.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
It’s actually way more than Dak Prescott. Mullen has also coached/developed Alex Smith, Chris Leak (somehow made Leak a national championship winning QB despite not even being a close fit for the Mullen offense), Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Dak Prescott and was even making Nick Fitzgerald a household name. That’s dudes of all kinds of shapes, sizes and talents at QB who went on to thrive under Mullen.

So Butch Jones is a great QB coach because he coached up Josh Dobbs , Riley Ferguson and Nathan Peterman? Nah

You are giving credit to Mullen’s for Cam Newton ? Come on .
No, but all the others mentioned are valid.

I don't know why so many on VN are reluctant to say that Mullen is a great coach. "So what, he's only won 60% of his games" or "but he never won even a division title" is a lazy opinion that doesn't take into consideration where he was coaching and the environment he had to recruit in. The guy was the head coach at a cowtown school with zero football history and limited resources. Mullen consistently took guys, particularly QBs, that were lightly recruited and made players out of them to the point where they were pretty consistently competitive in the toughest division in college football.

That's not a guarantee he'll be great at Florida (recruiting is a question mark), but if you deny or are skeptical of his ability to coach up and develop players, you just aren't paying attention.

No, but all the others mentioned are valid.

I don't know why so many on VN are reluctant to say that Mullen is a great coach. "So what, he's only won 60% of his games" or "but he never won even a division title" is a lazy opinion that doesn't take into consideration where he was coaching and the environment he had to recruit in. The guy was the head coach at a cowtown school with zero football history and limited resources. Mullen consistently took guys, particularly QBs, that were lightly recruited and made players out of them to the point where they were pretty consistently competitive in the toughest division in college football.

That's not a guarantee he'll be great at Florida (recruiting is a question mark), but if you deny or are skeptical of his ability to coach up and develop players, you just aren't paying attention.

My guess is because if you want people to say he’s a “ Great Coach “ the first place they will look is his stats because that’s what determines how you define a “ Great Coach “ . That’s not lazy it’s just how it works Ws vs Ls . When you have an overall record at 60% , you can’t make a case for greatness .

Reactions: johnrlansford
Dan Mullen coaching record all time (69-46) win pct 60%. Max wins in a season is 10.
Butch Jones coaching record all time (84-54) win pct 61%. Max wins in a season is 11.

Mullen's are all in the SEC so definitely tougher, but I see some similarities.
Butch never had a team ranked number 1 though.
All his teams were #1 in his 5⭐ heart!!!!

Reactions: miket4god
Lyle 2.0??

No...

Mullen turned MSU into a competitive program in the toughest division in college ball.

So Mullen's predecessor won the east 2 of his 3 years there, No way Mullen does that with the east on the rise. I think the Gator fans won't be as excited about Mullen in 3 years without a SEC East Championship. JMHO

My guess is because if you want people to say he’s a “ Great Coach “ the first place they will look is his stats because that’s what determines how you define a “ Great Coach “ . That’s not lazy it’s just how it works Ws vs Ls . When you have an overall record at 60% , you can’t make a case for greatness .
At Mississippi State!!!! What is so hard to understand about this? He had the same winning percentage at Miss St that Butch did at Tennessee, and did it with vastly inferior players.

At Mississippi State!!!! What is so hard to understand about this? He had the same winning percentage at Miss St that Butch did at Tennessee, and did it with vastly inferior players.

Lol I’m done making a point why a Florida coach ( that’s only there because they missed on chip Kelly ) and has an overall record of 60% isn’t going to be called “Great” until he improves that record . You win . I guess

Mullen's track record with dual threat QBs is great, especially because it used to be that the NFL hated that style. And, the future with kids like Emory Jones seems bright. But, as a Gator fan I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I wish we'd go out and recruit some 5 star drop-back gunslingers. We need to get back to fun 'n gun.

Mullen's track record with dual threat QBs is great, especially because it used to be that the NFL hated that style. And, the future with kids like Emory Jones seems bright. But, as a Gator fan I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I wish we'd go out and recruit some 5 star drop-back gunslingers. We need to get back to fun 'n gun.
If I were a Gator fan, my fear would be that Mullen is either unable or unwilling to recruit those types of kids. I know it is still really early, but the early recruiting returns aren't great. It might be his preference to recruit and develop more lightly recruited kids. That's fine at a smaller school and I guess can work in college basketball (like Izzo at Mich St), but I'd really question if he can get Florida back to where everyone thinks it can be with that strategy. To meet expectations at a place like Florida you have to recruit at a high level AND develop. Can't really do one or the other and meet the expectations.

-Dan Mullen is tweeting @ rappers on twitter....
-Calling his QBs 'Champions' when they havent even played a game yet...
-Is walking around in Jordans and propping his feet up on tables just to show them off...
-Making cheesy work-out videos in halloween costumes...
-Taking photoshoots with kids showing off their grills...
-Messing up a simple question and turning it into a soundclip the media plays over and over; "Do you have a no-weapons policy?"....here, Dan. Lemme help you out...say: "YES, our players arent allowed to have guns on campus, next question"...

he is like five inches from having a Third down song, a turnover trashcan and driving around in a mercede's with lambo doors

Thats why people are calling him Lyle 2.0

Can't defend the other stuff - BUT, the whole "graded as champions" comment from Mullen originated with Urban Meyer as he used to (and still does at Ohio State) grade players performance after games.

If Mullen says anything about a brick tho..............

Reactions: Jaws
Can't defend the other stuff - BUT, the whole "graded as champions" comment from Mullen originated with Urban Meyer as he used to (and still does at Ohio State) grade players performance after games.

If Mullen says anything about a brick tho..............

OK, that’s Fair enough.

But if I were a Gator fan, I wouldn’t want Mullen looking or sounding like Urban Meyer right now LOL.

200_d.gif

Reactions: Booker512

Yea. Well. I remember in 2013 I heard a lot about how Butch had recruited and coached JJ Watt at Central Michigan, and how he had won ten games “AT CINCINNATI!!!! Do you know how HARD it is to win TEN GAMES at a place like Cincinnati???” Or how he got them ranked and to bowl games all that crap....and how he had a couple QBs with video game numbers, etc.

I dunno. In my opinion, the more I see of Mullen, the more Jonesy he starts to look. Maybe he takes Florida to a couple national championships and continues the legacy. But right now, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Lots of Vols on here treat Pruitt like he’s going to trip over his own d*ck bc a practice report says a couple WRs dropped passes during warm ups, but are ready to concede the SEC east to Florida already. Lolol. Interesting times we live in.;)

If I were a Gator fan, my fear would be that Mullen is either unable or unwilling to recruit those types of kids. I know it is still really early, but the early recruiting returns aren't great.

Mullen was actually a good recruiter at Miss State.

The bigger fear for Florida fans IMO is that he never figures out the defense. Sort of the reverse of the fear with Pruitt. Todd Grantham has a history of underperforming with top talent. Pruitt was, after all, brought in at Georgia to fix Grantham's mess at DC.

That said, I think Mullen will succeed. Whether that means national championship or that he becomes the new Mark Richt with consistently 8-11 win type teams, I don't know.

Last edited:
Florida just needs to get back to consistently finishing in the top 50 in offense. Hell, I'd take top 70 at this point.

Hasn't happened since 2009.
lol. we went like 3 games last year w/out scoring a TD offensively, whilst allowing 400 yards rushing a game.

we win.

Reactions: ALGator
Yea. Well. I remember in 2013 I heard a lot about how Butch had recruited and coached JJ Watt at Central Michigan, and how he had won ten games “AT CINCINNATI!!!! Do you know how HARD it is to win TEN GAMES at a place like Cincinnati???” Or how he got them ranked and to bowl games all that crap....and how he had a couple QBs with video game numbers, etc.

I dunno. In my opinion, the more I see of Mullen, the more Jonesy he starts to look. Maybe he takes Florida to a couple national championships and continues the legacy. But right now, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Lots of Vols on here treat Pruitt like he’s going to trip over his own d*ck bc a practice report says a couple WRs dropped passes during warm ups, but are ready to concede the SEC east to Florida already. Lolol. Interesting times we live in.;)
I do think Mullen is a good coach but to concede the east to UF is not going to happen. As far as Pruitt goes I think he will also be a great coach but only time will tell and I will support him until he proves otherwise.

In all honesty, after being in Gainsville for last years game and seeing all the points we left on the field by pretty much the same guys returning, we could easily win this game. Mind you we got beat on the last play! This year we have a real staff that can coach players up, we are playing in the Colessium of the South i.e. Neyland Stadium, and bringing back smash mouth, pro-style offense back to Rocky Top. This all adds to a recipe for success. I am willing to bet the current team won't quit on Pruitt like some we know.

I don't remember hearing that. In fact, the fact that Butch had only coached at Central Michigan and Cincinnati were reasons that people were skeptical about him, not high on him. Cincinnati would be a difficult place to win 10 games if they were in a P5 conference, not the Big East, which they were at the time.

Coaching at Cincinnati (or Central Michigan) and Miss St are two totally different animals because of the conferences they are in. Central Michigan and Cincinnati are G5 schools with a history of success in their conferences, especially at the times Butch was there. Remember, he followed in the footsteps of Brian Kelly at both places, who had just been whisked away to bigger jobs and left both programs in a good state. At mid-major, you can field decently successful teams just by recruiting relatively well, which Butch was able to do.

Miss St is a cowtown school with zero tradition/history and little resources playing in what was, at the time, the toughest division in college football. Simply by developing the talent that he had (because he didn't/couldn't recruit at a high level), Mullen won 60% of his games at Miss St. If (and that's a big if) at Florida he can recruit, he will have their program back to national prominence.

Reactions: Gandalf

VN Store

Back