Florida better than expected?

Florida has been good enough to manhandle us for 20+ years on any give Saturday in the Fall. Too much talent in land of sunshine plus, we have not been able to outcoach the Gators, as we too are loaded with talent most years.

We will lose to Pitt and Florida because we are too soft on the LOS it was easy to see in the game the other night. We couldn’t muster not one sack against Ball St. and left the middle of the field wide open for slants. And does anybody have faith in Tim Banks stopping any offense?
That’s a loser mentality.

He is from Georgia not tn to the best of my knowledge his dad coached Murray Co High school for years when they were good he played here and then went to furman. I wish he would have came to tn before Pruitt was thought of but he turned down a bunch of nice jobs to get the one he really wanted. As far as perigee he has probably the best out there from who all he has worked under.

Just saw that y’all said he was born in Cookeville didn’t know that he is a good bit older than me his brother graduated w me.
Bill is from Celina. Billy's Daddy.

The more I read VN the more convinced 98% on here are women. They change their minds every day.

Reactions: 84Volfan
Utah had no answer for the running QB, they applied very little pressure and had no containment. When Utah tried to adjust it was too late. Utah did move the chains on them. I won't make a prediction until after the Pitt game.

Took Florida all of one game to get a marquee win under Napier. We’re still waiting on one.
Taking nothing away from nice win but time will tell if it’s a marquee win. Kinda like running opening kickoff back and leading 7-0 with 14:30 left in Q1…it’s always nice but is not so much determining factor in how rest of game turns out.

I think everyone is over reacting to Napier and Florida. Utah is on par with middle of the pack SEC. they aren’t #7 in nation worthy in the first place. Florida won despite Napier. Utah had self inflicted mistakes at the goaline twice that cost them. I’m looking at Florida getting ran over for 200 plus rushing yards and one receiver eating them alive. Napier is a terrible game manager. For example, running the play clock down to zero and calling a timeout to talk about a 4th down with 2:30 to go. He was bailed out by Richardson the whole game. I saw nothing schemed by Napier that worries me.

Utah had no answer for the running QB, they applied very little pressure and had no containment. When Utah tried to adjust it was too late. Utah did move the chains on them. I won't make a prediction until after the Pitt game.
I’m not sure we’ve shown we have answers to running QBs either. Hope it was one of those off season improvement things….

Utah may be overrated, and not worthy of a top 10 ranking? But it counts on the résumé.

Anybody think we’d be saying that today if it were us that took down a top 10 team last night?

Florida looked strong and physical, and as others have said, their QB is a big problem. We'll need to score a lot of points to win, but we can win. I don't see us winning a slugfest.

Yup our Offense will pour it on their D. It is going to be a boat race and that's exactly what we want. They don't have horses to keep up for 4 quarters

No, Tennessee doesent.

Until they show consistency on offense against someone with a pulse the last thing anyone wants is to trade scores. Utah traded scores and you saw how that ended. Furthermore, can Tennessee be physical upfront to make them respect the running game outside of Hooker? We know Hooker will make plays but Sampson, Small, or Wright have to step up and carry the load. Tennessee will have to be solid upfront picking up blitz packages, pass blocking and run blocking. I expect they’ll roll coverage to Tilman to take the first read away. Here’s to Bru making them respect his skill set on that day.

Then there’s the defense… Oh boy the defense.

LB play will be off the charts important all night. No mental errors, no missed assignments. The front 4 will have to find ways to get consistent pressure and for the love of orange don’t crash hard and bite on the fake. They wont completely stop Richardson but they must contain and limit the explosive plays. If Burrell shows he can’t consistently cover their receivers it’s time to make the call.

I’m not sure we’ve shown we have answers to running QBs either. Hope it was one of those off season improvement things….

I became so tired of seeing opposing QB's run on our defense last year. We never corrected, even UK was running on us end of season. I never figured out the reason last year, hoping it was lack of personel.

Yeah Florida played a real good Utah team, I'd say Utah is a little better than Ball State (sarcasm).

Richardson will do whatever he wants to the Vols defense.

Man, I hope that is not how the game goes, but there are real questions about how smart and fast and hard our defense will play. Our coaches and players need to get themselves right and take their game up a level, PDQ.

TN would’ve beaten that Utah team.. UF is better than expected but Utah is worse than expected. I think we need to focus on Pitt

Florida showed that having a good qb can overshadow a lot of deficiencies you may have. However Mullen beat a #5 and #8 ranked teams his first season. McElwain beat #3 ranked team his first season. Florida early September is tough for utah to come into. Hope the jorts blow out the kitty cats and come into Knoxville a top 15 team for a prime time night game. Florida winning makes it so we won’t have a noon eastern kickoff which this rivalry never should have to see again.

We can speculate all we want, but florida gave up 200+ yards rushing and had little answers to Utah's TEs and receiver. Utah should have done a QB sneak at the 6 inch line but decided to hand off to rb against a stacked box where he fumbled it. Utah had plenty of time to punch the ball in at the end but again called the wrong plays. That should have been a 13 pt loss by Florida. So the Gators squeek out a win at home against the overrated #7 team in the country and now the world believes Napier is the 2nd coming and they are playoff bound.

That’s a loser mentality.
IKR.. JJ would smack him for saying that.. like he (Jennings) said, he always went out there thinking he was the best one and could play anybody.. you don’t roll over and give up before you even play the game! Lol

Last edited:
We will lose to Pitt and Florida because we are too soft on the LOS it was easy to see in the game the other night. We couldn’t muster not one sack against Ball St. and left the middle of the field wide open for slants. And does anybody have faith in Tim Banks stopping any offense?
Ball State was throwing quick outs most of the night. They designed their offense to avoid sacks at all costs

All I saw was a porus defense, Utes RBs ran all through the lizards and were up/down the field all day. Then there was that gift INT with seconds left by the Utah QB who was going for the W. Lizards all pumped with their lucky W but it's just a matter of time until Heupel and the Vols bloody their nose. GBO!

Reactions: ptcarter

VN Store

Back