'20 FL WR Malachi Wideman (Tennessee signee)

Two of the most athletic "freaks" in our class came at the expense of Florida St. We have to find a way to pull a few of these kids out of Florida every year without a coach being fired. We can recruit Georgia. Pruitt has ties in Alabama. We can have some success in the Carolinas. But, Florida puts out large numbers of freakish athletes every single year.

This is the best thing Iā€™ve read all day.

I had a long rebuttal, but really...not necessary. This reminds me of the gibberish Miami fans spew.

Right? "I mean he's got elite athleticism but because he can play two sports and chose a school I'm mad at, that team is bad and so is he." Also despite a terrible start to our football season and a much harder schedule we still finished with a better record than them. I think we would have beat them soundly last year.

Reactions: PA Vol
Iā€™m not over on this side of the board very often and I havenā€™t really gone through much of this thread, so I apologize if this has already been brought up, but does he remind anyone else of a Justin Hunter type? 6ā€™4ā€ long, lanky guy who can jump out of the gym. They seem pretty similar to me, at least on paper.

Re: JG / other QBs, I think you gotta start this season with a clean slate. JG was absurdly bad for most of last year but also surprisingly good in micro bursts, just enough to not be written off entirely going into the offseason. It can't be overlooked this will be his first season with the same OC he had the year before. To me, that alone is enough to give him the opportunity to see what happens. Now, if HB comes in and sets the world on fire, put him in and don't look back. But seeing what JG can do with some consistency is what has me curious.

Hopefully with all this speed coming in.... JG will be able to hit a guy in stride on a go route......

Hopefully with all this speed coming in.... JG will be able to hit a guy in stride on a go route......
Speed was never the issue. It's his timing. He always seems to be a split second late deciding where to throw. To be fair, I don't think our receivers are particularly adept route runners, but timing seemed to be a larger issue to me. Given what we saw last year, Wideman's jumping ability could get him on the field ahead of others.

Speed was never the issue. It's his timing. He always seems to be a split second late deciding where to throw. To be fair, I don't think our receivers are particularly adept route runners, but timing seemed to be a larger issue to me. Given what we saw last year, Wideman's jumping ability could get him on the field ahead of others.

I was more being an arse than anything. I know it was his timing. Also, I agree with route running. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be better this year. It got better near the end of last year. I expect T to shore that area up.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

He really just looked like a fish out of water on most days. When JG was at his best (AUB last year, MISSST this year), he looked like he wasn't thinking about his mechanics or reads; he was just reacting. I think he had a tendency to get inside his own head and that's when it things fall apart. My hope is that not having a new playbook thrown at him during the spring will help him rely on his instincts and muscle memory and not have to overthink so many decisions / reads each play. We will need two or three QBs to win games again this coming year; hoping he'll have stepped up.

I was more being an arse than anything. I know it was his timing. Also, I agree with route running. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be better this year. It got better near the end of last year. I expect T to shore that area up.
I think we will have growing pains, Palmer only experience coming back and I see some type of QB issues early with the staff not wanting to commit to Bailey day one and then struggling through the transition period of JG/Maurer/Bailey. Hope I'm wrong.

I think we will have growing pains, Palmer only experience coming back and I see some type of QB issues early with the staff not wanting to commit to Bailey day one and then struggling through the transition period of JG/Maurer/Bailey. Hope I'm wrong.

I donā€™t think Maurer will see the field ever again as a Vol. JMO.

My question about Washington is if he had such a rough and tumble family life, how could he afford all of the visits to the South-East on his own dime?

He really just looked like a fish out of water on most days. When JG was at his best (AUB last year, MISSST this year), he looked like he wasn't thinking about his mechanics or reads; he was just reacting. I think he had a tendency to get inside his own head and that's when it things fall apart. My hope is that not having a new playbook thrown at him during the spring will help him rely on his instincts and muscle memory and not have to overthink so many decisions / reads each play. We will need two or three QBs to win games again this coming year; hoping he'll have stepped up.

If HB keeps his ability to throw WRs open and anticipate their routes and fixes a few small things I donā€™t see how he isnā€™t the starter by the end of the year. None of the other QBs have the same measurables. Thatā€™s for sure.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
He really just looked like a fish out of water on most days. When JG was at his best (AUB last year, MISSST this year), he looked like he wasn't thinking about his mechanics or reads; he was just reacting. I think he had a tendency to get inside his own head and that's when it things fall apart.
It doesn't help that we're a relentless fanbase. We're awesome when things are going well, but we can be hell when they're going badly. He knows that we'll go nuts with his first incompletion, and he doesn't seem to be able to move on.

VN Store

Back