‘23 FL OT Lucas Simmons (FSU commit)

Deion at FSU and Cristobal at Miami would make life a lot more difficult for Napier at Florida. I just don't know if Deion is leaving Jackson State at this point considering his kids are there and the amount of time/money he's poured into that program. He just donated half his salary a few weeks ago to help upgrade their facilities.
😂 He would leave Jackson State a day before season started if offered by Florida State.

Deion at FSU and Cristobal at Miami would make life a lot more difficult for Napier at Florida. I just don't know if Deion is leaving Jackson State at this point considering his kids are there and the amount of time/money he's poured into that program. He just donated half his salary a few weeks ago to help upgrade their facilities.

The real problem in the State of Florida in the last several years (for in-state schools) has not been each other. It's been Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson.

I think the change you are going to see is that the folks at Florida and Miami are going to change that. I think Alabama's presence in Florida will take a drastic hit when Saban retires. I also think you are already seeing a change at Clemson. I don't know if Dabo is resting on his laurels or what is going on. All I know is that Clemson is not the factor in the state this year that they have been previously.

But, regardless, out of state schools have been gobbling up Florida talent. Alabama owes its whole damn trophy case to Florida kids.

Money wouldn’t be the only reason for jumping to FSU.
Deion is trying to change the culture of college football by making HBCU’s more prominent. He will look like a total sellout if he jumps ship after two years to go to FSU and brings his kids along with Travis Hunter and others he’s recruited. I think he still ultimately could end up there…I just think it’ll be down the line when his kids are out of college and he’s established that program.

The real problem in the State of Florida in the last several years (for in-state schools) has not been each other. It's been Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson.

I think the change you are going to see is that the folks at Florida and Miami are going to change that. I think Alabama's presence in Florida will take a drastic hit when Saban retires. I also think you are already seeing a change at Clemson. I don't know if Dabo is resting on his laurels or what is going on. All I know is that Clemson is not the factor in the state this year that they have been previously.

But, regardless, out of state schools have been gobbling up Florida talent. Alabama owes its whole damn trophy case to Florida kids.

It’s almost as if kids don’t really care to go play out of state.

Deion is trying to change the culture of college football by making HBCU’s more prominent. He will look like a total sellout if he jumps ship after two years to go to FSU and brings his kids along with Travis Hunter and others he’s recruited. I think he still ultimately could end up there…I just think it’ll be down the line when his kids are out of college and he’s established that program.
That’s funny 😂

Reactions: VolInDayton
It’s almost as if kids don’t really care to go play out of state.

There never has been like in other states. At one time, there was some serious loyalty for south Florida kids to "Da U". But, that's not the same.

But, the other factor is there are 75 Florida prospects that are 4* or higher. It would be extremely difficult for the in-state schools to get them all.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
There never has been like in other states. At one time, there was some serious loyalty for south Florida kids to "Da U". But, that's not the same.

But, the other factor is there are 75 Florida prospects that are 4* or higher. It would be extremely difficult for the in-state schools to get them all.

True, but looking at the top 25 in Florida last year, most went out of state. There is this misguided notion out there that instate talent is this HUGE advantage and kids inevitably all want to play at instate schools, so convincing them to play out of state is like pulling teeth.

Yes, it’s a slight advantage, but it’s not why Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State have been great lately. I would argue “proximite” talent (within 3-5 hours) is more important if we’re talking about talent location, but which side of state lines that talent is on is of minimal importance. The biggest advantages pertain to what you’re selling, not where you’re selling it.

True, but looking at the top 25 in Florida last year, most went out of state. There is this misguided notion out there that instate talent is this HUGE advantage and kids inevitably all want to play at instate schools, so convincing them to play out of state is like pulling teeth.

Yes, it’s a slight advantage, but it’s not why Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State have been great lately. I would argue “proximite” talent (within 3-5 hours) is more important if we’re talking about talent location, but which side of state lines that talent is on is of minimal importance. The biggest advantages pertain to what you’re selling, not where you’re selling it.

I have always leaned to the importance of travel time differential as a factor too FOR SOME. Even though Jackson and surrounding area is in TN, and is in your window, it is over 4.5 hours to UT, but 2 hours from Oxford, 3 hours from Starkeville, and less than 4 hours from Tuscaloosa. So whether we are fighting for an upper level 3 star or 4 star, vs a no-brainer 5 star, unless the player grew up with Orange hats on ease of attending CAN be a factor.

Same concept for the oft mentioned UT should clean up in GA mantra, Lots of prime GA territory and even if you get beyond the home team, we are at a disadvantage to Clemson and AU for Atlanta area. Less than two for AU, 2 for CU and 3 plus for us not counting the I24/I75 bottlenecks. So we should be in the conversations, but DO NOT have an inside advantage to the territory. AU has a distinct advantage over everybody is SW Georgia, i.e. Columbus and Lagrange and Newnan and we we just tie with them for Rome and there's is a much easier drive.

We are blessed have our drive time window and can be in play, but not too many tremendous advantages in that window in highly productive areas due to other schools windows. That is the reason I am hopeful that some small NIL deals might be able to strategically offset some minor travel cost differentials altogether when multiple hats are REALLY on the table and huge NIL deals are not in play.

I have always leaned to the importance of travel time differential as a factor too FOR SOME. Even though Jackson and surrounding area is in TN, and is in your window, it is over 4.5 hours to UT, but 2 hours from Oxford, 3 hours from Starkeville, and less than 4 hours from Tuscaloosa. So whether we are fighting for an upper level 3 star or 4 star, vs a no-brainer 5 star, unless the player grew up with Orange hats on ease of attending CAN be a factor.

Same concept for the oft mentioned UT should clean up in GA mantra, Lots of prime GA territory and even if you get beyond the home team, we are at a disadvantage to Clemson and AU for Atlanta area. Less than two for AU, 2 for CU and 3 plus for us not counting the I24/I75 bottlenecks. So we should be in the conversations, but DO NOT have an inside advantage to the territory. AU has a distinct advantage over everybody is SW Georgia, i.e. Columbus and Lagrange and Newnan and we we just tie with them for Rome and there's is a much easier drive.

We are blessed have our drive time window and can be in play, but not too many tremendous advantages in that window in highly productive areas due to other schools windows. That is the reason I am hopeful that some small NIL deals might be able to strategically offset some minor travel cost differentials altogether when multiple hats are REALLY on the table and huge NIL deals are not in play.

It just depends on the kid. Sometimes, a school can be too close and a kid wants to get away. Look at the recent Knoxville area kids who have been blue chip recruits…more leave than stay at UT. Higgins, Rodgers, Harrison Smith, etc. Even TKJr. was headed to Bama before Dooley was fired and he’s a legacy. Nashville has been FAR better to UT than Knoxville…and not just because it turns out more talent, but because that talent more frequently chooses UT.

Point being, many kids wanna leave home. Even if they grew up cheering for a particular school. Getting them to go 6 hours away might be tough for some (but not for others), but 3 or 4 is about perfect.

It just depends on the kid. Sometimes, a school can be too close and a kid wants to get away. Look at the recent Knoxville area kids who have been blue chip recruits…more leave than stay at UT. Higgins, Rodgers, Harrison Smith, etc. Even TKJr. was headed to Bama before Dooley was fired and he’s a legacy. Nashville has been FAR better to UT than Knoxville…and not just because it turns out more talent, but because that talent more frequently chooses UT.

Point being, many kids wanna leave home. Even if they grew up cheering for a particular school. Getting them to go 6 hours away might be tough for some (but not for others), but 3 or 4 is about perfect.
Some parents want them to leave too. . .

His kids can easily follow him with the new transfer rules…and half a salary at Jackson state is probably less than a weeks salary as HC at FSU

Deion makes 300k/yr

Norvell makes 4.42M/yr

1/2 x $300K = $150,000....

1/12 x $4.42M = $368,333...

So I was correct...but I have to admit I didn't expect that it was this big of a difference...half a year at JSU is worth less than half a weeks salary at FSU

1/2 x $300K = $150,000....

1/12 x $4.42M = $368,333...

So I was correct...but I have to admit I didn't expect that it was this big of a difference...half a year at JSU is worth less than half a weeks salary at FSU

Another way to look at it would be the following:

$300K/yr = $5769/wk x 26 weeks = $150K

$4.42M/yr = $85K/wk x 2 weeks = $170K

So it would take him less than two weeks to earn back the "half a years salary" he just donated to JSU

It’s a little misleading from one standpoint though.

Look at who the poachers are. Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc.

These are the schools making the playoff. Much harder for someone else to do the same thing. If they are considering Michigan State or West Virginia, academics or behavior are usually an issue

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Granted, but I would think CU and AU would meet those needs yet still be more convenient for travel for family or the kid home when needed. I would think right now for MOST we are not as sexy as CU but maybe a bit ahead of AU with all the coaching speculation.

Hot potatoes and dropping when his alma mater calls.

Reactions: Orange.

VN Store

Back