First Impressions of Coach Donnie Tyndall

Would have preferred to go after a big fish, but of course I'm a half grudenite, so I always want to land the big fish. Well apparently my big orange is just a bit of a step up from the mid major. So I'll take what I can get. White may be a star to be, but I will take Donnie, if it means he will be somewhat successful and stick around, something I was a little dubious with White. :hi:

Last edited:
Listening to the presser I couldn't believe how much he sounded like Butch. If he started talking about eye discipline I'd have freaked.

Blue collar guy who loves to work hard. I think like Butch, he will be hard not to like.

I also think Tyndall will work hard to try and get UT back to being prominent. If he fails it won't be because he's not a hard worker. It potentially could be somewhat of an entertaining offseason in seeing how he and his staff approach this job over the next several months.

I thought CDT did an admirable job today. Unfortunately, Vols fans have had too much experience with introductory press conferences for coaches. Perhaps he repackaged what he said at USM but he did punctuate it with the VolNation required phrase of "destination job". He probably knows much about Tennessee from his past but also could have taken a few cues from recent Tennessee press conferences on YouTube.

Nevertheless, I judge these things not so much by what he says but how he says them. My take on CDT is he is a straight forward guy who says what he believes. He's genuine. Players and recruits should take to a man who says what he means and does what he says.

I liked his Harlem Shuffle because it shows he understands what resonates with young people and he has to stay current with what catches young people's attention.

I can see that he has charisma like Bruce and is dedicated to his players and his player's success like Cuonzo. I'm would like to think VolNation will give this man a chance and that the naysayers will at least allow him the opportunity to prove himself before condemining him, although unlikely.

I think it is consensus on here that he has passed the initial smell test. He mentioned several times that he and his staff will be relentless in recruiting. We need this type of energy. Using Donovan as an example of why he feels like he can be effective as a basketball coach at a football school was a good, original comment and worthy goal. I'm sure we all hope he can win a couple of NCs!

I will support this man and I hope you will, too. And here's hoping that our remaining players and our commits will continue to make UT their home.

Welcome Coach Tyndall. And my one wish for next year, is beat UK at TBA! GBO!!

Reactions: 2 people
I thought CDT did an admirable job today. Unfortunately, Vols fans have had too much experience with introductory press conferences for coaches. Perhaps he repackaged what he said at USM but he did punctuate it with the VolNation required phrase of "destination job". He probably knows much about Tennessee from his past but also could have taken a few cues from recent Tennessee press conferences on YouTube.

Nevertheless, I judge these things not so much by what he says but how he says them. My take on CDT is he is a straight forward guy who says what he believes. He's genuine. Players and recruits should take to a man who says what he means and does what he says.

I liked his Harlem Shuffle because it shows he understands what resonates with young people and he has to stay current with what catches young people's attention.

I can see that he has charisma like Bruce and is dedicated to his players and his player's success like Cuonzo. I'm would like to think VolNation will give this man a chance and that the naysayers will at least allow him the opportunity to prove himself before condemining him, although unlikely.

I think it is consensus on here that he has passed the initial smell test. He mentioned several times that he and his staff will be relentless in recruiting. We need this type of energy. Using Donovan as an example of why he feels like he can be effective as a basketball coach at a football school was a good, original comment and worthy goal. I'm sure we all hope he can win a couple of NCs!

I will support this man and I hope you will, too. And here's hoping that our remaining players and our commits will continue to make UT their home.

Welcome Coach Tyndall. And my one wish for next year, is beat UK at TBA! GBO!!

This is way too cogent for vn. See above post

I thought the entire presser was a little unprofessional. Hart needs to quit making jokes. CDT is not going to be who we want from a public communication perspective right away. He will have to grow into that role. Believe it or not, CCM was really good at being professional in these type situations and his demeanor was one of the things i really liked about him. I hope CDT allows himself to be himself and doesn't try to be anything other than that. However, Hart really needs to quit making jokes. It's a sign of being uncomfortable and makes him look unprepared.

I was in the public speaking end for years and you may not like what CDH said but he actually NAILED ever bulletpoint to effective public communication. And he didn't appear uncomfortable at all. If anything he appeared extremely relaxed. And CDT did just what someone in his position should when being an introduced speaker.....

I was in the public speaking end for years and you may not like what CDH said but he actually NAILED ever bulletpoint to effective public communication. And he didn't appear uncomfortable at all. If anything he appeared extremely relaxed. And CDT did just what someone in his position should when being an introduced speaker.....

I have to agree with Aaron on this. I was instantly bored as soon as Hart introduced him and he told some stupid Michigan joke that NO ONE is Tennessee knows/cares about. It was the first presser that I actually turned off before the end. I thought it was impossible to be even LESS EXCITED for a new coach than I was about Dooley and Cuonzo...but I think DT took the crown.

gty_chaz_bono_dm_120105_wmain.jpg
Southern-Miss-tabs-Tyndall-as-hoops-coach-G41CTLFB-x-large.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I have to agree with Aaron on this. I was instantly bored as soon as Hart introduced him and he told some stupid Michigan joke that NO ONE is Tennessee knows/cares about. It was the first presser that I actually turned off before the end. I thought it was impossible to be even LESS EXCITED for a new coach than I was about Dooley and Cuonzo...but I think DT took the crown.

I believe you REALLY tried...you will be missed. :cray:

"Martin was terrible at this."

You mean like that time at Texas A&M when CCM drew up the perfect play for Jarnell and got him a 2 + 1 to win the game? You mean like that?

Martin was terrible at that - you can quote the "blind squirrel" example if you like, but he really was not good in this area.

Martin was terrible at that - you can quote the "blind squirrel" example if you like, but he really was not good in this area.

That play was luck. The guy guarding the inbounds play didn't do his job. He's supposed to give a pass out top. He moved out of the way, the ref was about to give a 5 second call and Stokes flashed as jrich saw him. You won't see another bounce pass lane like that from the side to the post where the defender is playing behind as well.

So the play call would've included planning on 2 defenders being out of place for a pass to be made .5 second from a violation. Jrich and Stokes made that play.

I like the hire. I think we upgraded. Let's see how he recruits and his team competes now.

So I assume coach has an ex wife? Just curious if she is in the picture, where she lives, etc. Just being nosy. It's not often the father gets custody, if he does have custody.

I honestly felt it was a lackluster hire to begin with. I did some research. Come to find out one of my ex coworkers worked with him at quite a few camps and at Idaho. He says this is a solid hire. Since all of you guys always wanna know names. Orlando Lightfoot is my ex coworker. Orlando is not one to sugar coat it either. He cannot stand UT. For him to say it was a solid hire helped to ease the pain of not getting what I thought we really needed.

Less than inspiring. Just the truth. He's a big boy, he should be able to handle it. He's getting the big check, and now he has a chance to prove his doubters wrong. Felt the same way about the Michigan joke. But, then again, we didn't hire him for his public speaking abilities so I'm willing to let that go. He has to win, bottom line! Just because our administrators do not have high standards does not mean that we the fans don't. The last coach couldn't handle that, so he found a place where there are no expectations. At Tennessee there are expectations, and there always will be. Deal with it. Win, or make room for the next guy. JMO.

Seems to say all the right things. Hope he has much success here.

Most important thing to me: When his team needs a score (dead ball, timeout, what ever the case) can he call a play a get a good look and shot at it. Martin was terrible at this. Coach K, Self, Williams, etc the great coaches can call a play when they need a basket and at least get the look they want. The last coach frustrated me so much out of a timeout or dead ball the play they ran was awful. I want a coach to knows basketball and can truly coach his players.

I agree. All of this is predicated of course on the talent he has to work with. But, a good coach knows how to draw up the best play with his players strengths in mind.

I think this could be a great hire for us in the long run. I just hope our fan base will give him the time to do his thing. We should not expect a huge amount of success next year though. I think we will be good, but not great...........yet!!

I can't peg it he seems like he has got a lot on his mind right now. It's work related I am sure, but think about it, staff, recruits, players, and the list goes on and on.

Once he gets settled in he is going to be fine.

I know you are hard headed. I am not going to argue with you.

CBJ has already won in many areas since arriving and I hate it for you not seeing it.

CDT has won with previous teams on the court and he will soon do the same here.

Hey, no matter what happens we always have the option in 3-4 years to fire them and get new coaches.

If they are bringing energy to the University and working like heck towards winning programs why take the negative point of view. It would be nice to have some stability.

Negativity breeds Negativity so why not let it go for a while and wait to see.

Buzz Paterson was also MJs roomie, but that basketball prowess didn't rub off.

I am still going to go with the two guys from Michigan as being winners.

Great Post!!! I hate Michigan as much as any upstanding UT fan, but I am going to be behind these coaches as long as they are on the hill. I believe we will win in time because they are winners.

So I assume coach has an ex wife? Just curious if she is in the picture, where she lives, etc. Just being nosy. It's not often the father gets custody, if he does have custody.

He said his girls live with their mom in Kentucky.

VN Store

Back