Finebaum roasts CJP for post-game comment

I'd you look at the game holistically, phases, not giving up etc, he's right. The fight is there. They just have to work that much harder and believe that you get out what you put in. This team needs to find leadership that will push them to greatness. This Sr class are Butches boys and are soft like Charmin.

Isn't that what Pruitt was hired for?

I've always disliked Paul. It's easy to see through the "game" both he and Adams are playing. But, this time, he isn't saying anything different than nearly all of the talking heads are saying about UT football.

How long do you keep an employee that's not getting the job done?

Until I can find an improvement. The last 15 years has proven UT can't do that and only gets worse each time. We fire a coach, do a search, get turned down 5 times, and end up begging someone to have us (and pay them big $$$ to do so). We aren't even done paying Butch yet, and with absolutely no plan, we already want to fire JP. Unless Urban Meyer or his equivalent falls in our lap, JP gets 5 years minimum. Any idiot can see that.

Until I can find an improvement. The last 15 years has proven UT can't do that and only gets worse each time. We fire a coach, do a search, get turned down 5 times, and end up begging someone to have us (and pay them big $$$ to do so). We aren't even done paying Butch yet, and with absolutely no plan, we already want to fire JP. Unless Urban Meyer or his equivalent falls in our lap, JP gets 5 years minimum. Any idiot can see that.

That's a management problem and I agree the athletic department and UT in general has piss poor administration.

Since fulmer's firing. We have had four different football coaches and four AD's during that time period. Just unbelieveable. We have been down in the dumps for over ten years. This thing is not going to get well overnight.

Reactions: tnutater
Know you're all Finebaum fans. Aa long as the negative comments that for your narrative are said, it doesn't matter who they come from apparently. I thought Finebaum was a UT grad who turned on is and is in bed with Bama and Saban. Guess the narrative is more important.
Thank you Mrs. Pruitt.

I'd you look at the game holistically, phases, not giving up etc, he's right. The fight is there. They just have to work that much harder and believe that you get out what you put in. This team needs to find leadership that will push them to greatness. This Sr class are Butches boys and are soft like Charmin.

#heneedsmoretime
#soon

We could learn from our mistakes and not change coaches every 4 years. Or we could throw caution to the wind and make the same mistakes over and over again. Rinse, repeat.

Or, just spitballin' here, we could cut a coach when its obvious he isn't the guy, instead of waiting until the house is on fire. THEN hire a decent, experienced coach. I dunno, like Hugh Freeze, or someone else with 'issues' who is still a helluva coach.

But we are Tennessee. And Fulmer wouldn't like it, neither would the pearl clutchers....so.....here we are, boys. A lame duck coach that we 'need to give more time' so we can totally tank and then go bargain hunting again.

I'm just about over this. Sadly.

I certainly do not condone firing Pruitt at this point and still believe he can turn this around, however I do feel it's short sighted to think Guarantano and several other upper classmen that underachieve are the best we have to offer. Guarantano is the epitome of having decent stats, but absolutely nothing to show for it. Like this weekend, 48-17 loss on 13-24 passing and zero turnovers going only 4 -16 on 3rd down. His 3rd down production is one of his weakest points and one reason we stall out drives so often. Granted there are other positions that need to produce more as well, but if you don't have a great quarterback leading the way that can stay calm under pressure and make good decisions, your never going to be on the plus side of the scoreboard against great teams. Guarantano has had 5 years (redshirt senior) to make improvements yet still reverts back to his old self far to often. We know what we're getting in Guarantano, I think it would be beneficial to start preparing Bailey, Maurer, or whoever Pruitt thinks is more talented and ready for the rest of this season and next year.

We could learn from our mistakes and not change coaches every 4 years. Or we could throw caution to the wind and make the same mistakes over and over again. Rinse, repeat.

So Doofy should still be here?
Butch?

Maybe......just maybe bad hires are mistakes.
But keeping failing coaches........that would certainly be the remedy.

Reactions: 08Vol

1603730343270.jpeg

So Doofy should still be here?
Butch?

Maybe......just maybe bad hires are mistakes.
But keeping failing coaches........that would certainly be the remedy.

We do things the wrong way. We fire then try to replace. We need to be patient, find the right coach, then replace. Otherwise, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: GVol1966
Know you're all Finebaum fans. Aa long as the negative comments that for your narrative are said, it doesn't matter who they come from apparently. I thought Finebaum was a UT grad who turned on is and is in bed with Bama and Saban. Guess the narrative is more important.

He's not in bed with Saban. It just so happens that Saban runs a world class program and Tennessee is a pile of shat program. Not really Finebaum's problem. Tell me one good thing Finebaum could say about Tennessee without looking like a disingenuous @sshat?

Kentucky loss is unexcuseable. Games vs. the nfl teams (ga and ala) just show we are no where near beating them at the moment. Talent gap and non development of players are reasons etc. Need to make a qb change time to move on from #2.
Dude, that Hyatt kid is the next Peerless Price. He's a streak of lightening. Watch them utilize him and Palmer a lot more the next 5 games

Reactions: feathersax
We do things the wrong way. We fire then try to replace. We need to be patient, find the right coach, then replace. Otherwise, rinse and repeat.

I’m asking......should Doofy or Butch still be the coach?

If not......how is their firing.....the problem?

How much more time should Doofy have been given?

How much more time should Butch have been given?

Reactions: 08Vol
Finebaum and Pruitt could both be right. This is because Finebaum is talking about people we actually saw on the field on Saturday (so definitely no closing of gap in talent in that case - that can't be argued and Finebaum is right) while Pruitt knows that players he recently recruited have much higher ceiling and will close the gap once they are ready to step up and actually play in the game.

"Finebaum Roasts CJP for Post-Game Comment."

That lede in itself is as powerful an endorsement of Coach Pruitt as I've seen.

Reactions: livefaith
Hopefully Saban retires soon, Jerry goes back to Bama as DC and we can get back on track as a football power. Til then enjoy SUCKING.

Other sports-site commentary (bold mine):

If you’d like to hold onto an 8-game winning streak against the nobodies of the SEC and a couple of nonconference gimme putts, please, by all means, go right ahead. I prefer to stay in the real world, where after the Alabama loss, Pruitt said, “I’m excited about being here.”

Why wouldn’t he be? He’s getting paid $4 million a year to win games that mean nothing and getting blown out in the games that do.
We can talk all we want about Pruitt’s ability to recruit, and how his back-to-back top 15 classes are the foundation of the future, and how a potential top 10 class this December will only add to it.

But at some point, if those recruiting classes aren’t paying off on the field, the finger must be pointed to the coach developing those players. Of all the dopey things Butch Jones did (champions for life, turnover trash can, etc.) as coach at Tennessee, nothing compares to firing an assistant coach (Jimmy Brumbaugh) at halftime, and proudly proclaiming he’d coach the defensive line – and then watching that defensive line play poorly the following week. Nothing even close.

Two things stand out to me: Butch and COVID-19. No other coach has had to follow Butch Jones to rebuild their team. I don't think have ever seen a team so depleted, a snow flake gang with the culture of a ballerina troup, with the possible exception of what Johnny Majors took over from Bill Battle. We were weak in both mind and body.

On the COVID-19 front, we needed a good Spring of practice as much as anybody on the planet, and Fall practice wasn't a lot better. Who knows how many on our team got the virus, and are now weakened from it? We don't know. Sure, we may all be on an even playing field when it comes to that, but we just don't know.

For these reasons, I have to give the team a big fat mulligan. Sure they need to be steadily improving on the field to end the season, but I just don't think it's fair to judge them by the usual standards.

VN Store

Back