FInal Rant THE MCB PLAY

took two views to see he didn't move until he ran in waving blowing the whistle. CYA call, shadow in bottom is pretty stationary

Did anybody hear the whistle and if so which side of the ball breaking the plane? I don't trust my ears on this one.

Did anybody hear the whistle and if so which side of the ball breaking the plane? I don't trust my ears on this one.

Blew the whistle after he crossed the line. Had forward progress been stopped prior and it wanted to be disputed as human judgement he would have ran in well before the ball crossed. Should have let the play end, either by being down or TD. Purdue could have been saved by his knee being down on video review and taken the crew out of the equation. But end result would have been TD

He comes running in waving his arms just as Wright reaches across the goal line. The call looks even worse on this low angle. You can't really tell when he starts waving his arms because he runs into the camera shot.

Slow down the video and rock it back and forth at the 7 second mark. If you look at the shadow of the ref on the goal line, he starts moving toward the play before the ball moves across the plane. I assume this is the point he is waving his arms since we physically can't see him until between the 8 and 9 second marks on the video, where the ball is clearly across and the RB is not down. It appears based on the shadow movement, the play was beginning to be signaled dead before the ball crossed the plane, hence marking the ball one yard short on the field. The ref was very premature in stopping the play. Forward progress had not truly stopped as his body was still in forward motion and the arm was moving the ball.

Reactions: GAVol
Slow down the video and rock it back and forth at the 7 second mark. If you look at the shadow of the ref on the goal line, he starts moving toward the play before the ball moves across the plane. I assume this is the point he is waving his arms since we physically can't see him until between the 8 and 9 second marks on the video, where the ball is clearly across and the RB is not down. It appears based on the shadow movement, the play was beginning to be signaled dead before the ball crossed the plane, hence marking the ball one yard short on the field. The ref was very premature in stopping the play. Forward progress had not truly stopped as his body was still in forward motion and the arm was moving the ball.
I see the shadow (which I hadn't noticed before) and I honestly still can't tell other than just knowing how horrible the call looks. All the plays that they let go so replay can figure out what happened, and he chooses that play to make a forward progress call.

Reactions: Voljlt
The 3rd down play on UT's first drive was marked way short of progress by this same individual. I thought at the time here we go again.
It's weird how in the past few years they seem to give 1st downs on spots that look crazy close and then other times they don't. It's like they make a concerted effort at times to not bring in the chains.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

I am hoping somebody has a wider shot they can share to at least show when he throws both arms up and starts the cross motion. Have to believe replay had access to more than what we saw. What I did see in using this view with moving the frames forward bit by bit is that from the time he was upright till the ball crossed the plane his helmet consistently got closer to the goal, so there was no basis for a progress call. I actually believe he started in looking for a knee or elbow to hit the ground. But that is wild conjecture. I have to admit I did not believe the clarity of that not being the case in the other replays I have seen. They all do clearly show the ball in the endzone.

Last edited:
Reactions: TitanicVolz
It's weird how in the past few years they seem to give 1st downs on spots that look crazy close and then other times they don't. It's like they make a concerted effort at times to not bring in the chains.
Different rule books for different teams? In the same game, usually.

I see the shadow (which I hadn't noticed before) and I honestly still can't tell other than just knowing how horrible the call looks. All the plays that they let go so replay can figure out what happened, and he chooses that play to make a forward progress call.

Shadow was what I watched twice to see that he was stationary. Pretty easy to see he didn’t move until running in.

Again, if the ACC believe the call was correct there would be video evidence showing the correct ruling of his hand up prior to the whistle.

Good work there; however, there is another part of the rule book that is very specific the this situation. Forward progress was reviewable in this situation. The refs said is wasn't because they did not know the rules.

Rule 12. Instant Replay

Dead Ball and Loose Ball ARTICLE 3. Reviewable plays involving potential dead balls and loose balls include:

e. Ball carrier’s forward progress, spot of fumble, or spot of out-of-bounds backward pass, with respect to a first down or the goal line.

So, by rule, it should have been reviewed and a touchdown.
Yep, my thread on this shows exact pdf screen shots of the rule book. I'm still pissed.
Forward progress is reviewable…

Reactions: Tman44
Someone got called out here by another poster to the effect "would you rather be right or be liked" when it was mentioned that the play was dead when our player started pulling JW toward the goal line.

Pushing a ball carrier forward is allowed BUT pulling a player forward is not allowed and is an infraction or play is whistled dead or something to that end.

Flame away.

Someone got called out here by another poster to the effect "would you rather be right or be liked" when it was mentioned that the play was dead when our player started pulling JW toward the goal line.

Pushing a ball carrier forward is allowed BUT pulling a player forward is not allowed and is an infraction or play is whistled dead or something to that end.

Flame away.

Wouldn’t that be an easier way to deflect the attention from the forward progress?

It's like the contra argument is "he made that motion after it was ruled that he couldn't make a motion".

If the standard for forward progress was that you were stopped momentarily every play where a ball carrier popped to the outside on a clogged hole could be whistled dead including 1/3 of qb sneaks. Bad call and pitiful spot even if he was down.

Flame away.

Could be argued that the attempt to pull was unsuccessful so it wasn't "pulling". Even so call that foul and correctly spot the ball in the endzone and the Vols at least get a FG attempt on the replay of the down.

Hand signals absolutely can end a play. Remember the flack that the officiating crew took in the ATM/Mississippi State game where the official clearly waved his arms but they let the punt return continue? A signal is the same as a whistle.
Then why the HECK do they need whistles? Like what do they expect, the players to WATCH the ref for the duration of the play?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
That's the popular belief, but an official making a signal like incomplete pass, waving arms or raising a hand to mark the ball is just as good as a whistle as far as killing a play.
How about a wink, shoulder shrug, or maybe a fart? Whistle is the one common denominator because everyone can hear it.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back