Face it, we still don't know if we are good or bad.

I’d say we’re about right where I thought we’d be and we’ll get throttled next weekend. The silver lining is I’m pretty convinced that the majority of the teams on our schedule are worse than I expected, so 6-7 wins is without a doubt achievable if we can improve throughout the season instead of getting worse like normal.

Vandy is terrible. South Carolina is not good either. Kentucky is mediocre. Missouri is fine, but nothing special. And we still have one “buy” game left. We’re not a good team, but I don’t think we have to be a good team this year to get 3-4 SEC wins. It’s a down year for the conference as a whole.

I thought that also until Pittsburgh lost to Western Michigan. I guess we get a lot more information this next game.

SEC play starts vs. Florida. We left at least 20 points on the field vs. BG and Pitt each. Scored and shutout a really bad team by close to 60 points. In the meantime, Florida loses by 2 to Bama. The Battered Vol in me says we are in for yet another bad day in the swamp. Am I right? Or could these first three games be enough to get some kinks out. If for some reason we do pull it out there, and win - will it be a "signature win" for Heupel? Is Bama down this year? Their defense gave up a LOT.
I have a pretty good idea...
GBO??

I’d say we’re about right where I thought we’d be and we’ll get throttled next weekend. The silver lining is I’m pretty convinced that the majority of the teams on our schedule are worse than I expected, so 6-7 wins is without a doubt achievable if we can improve throughout the season instead of getting worse like normal.

Vandy is terrible. South Carolina is not good either. Kentucky is mediocre. Missouri is fine, but nothing special. And we still have one “buy” game left. We’re not a good team, but I don’t think we have to be a good team this year to get 3-4 SEC wins. It’s a down year for the conference as a whole.
I knew coming into the season that it was going to be rough and 6 wins would be considered a step in the right direction, but man am I in a bad place right now, concerning Tennessee football. I’ve been good through the last few years but I think it’s finally caught up with me. NegaVolatility has set in and I don’t like it.
I’ve always been positive but this new feeling is weird, I think some call it apathy.
GBO??

Truthfully, if a few of the overthrows last week were on the money, this entire thread would be quite different.
We have some fickle fans who knee jerk on everygame and everyplay. They are great, no they suck, no wait that was a fluke they are great. All from the barrister football experts on Volnation. BLAH BLAH BLAH! GBO!!!!!!

I don’t believe you, you know how bad this team is.
Florida always seems to bring out the worst in the Tennessee Vols

SEC play starts vs. Florida. We left at least 20 points on the field vs. BG and Pitt each. Scored and shutout a really bad team by close to 60 points. In the meantime, Florida loses by 2 to Bama. The Battered Vol in me says we are in for yet another bad day in the swamp. Am I right? Or could these first three games be enough to get some kinks out. If for some reason we do pull it out there, and win - will it be a "signature win" for Heupel? Is Bama down this year? Their defense gave up a LOT.

I agree with the topic title. We still don't know.

So, we continue.

Reactions: ptcarter
Survey Says!!!!!
Vols are in for multiple beatdowns this year
As OP, I think that's the consensus. I didn't get my hands on the footage of the Tenn. Tech game until after I posted this, and I watched every play of the Bama Florida game. Emory Jones and co. played their hearts out. There is probably another thread covering that game, but one thing about it jumped out. I thought Henry T, even though he was hustling as usual - looked out of position and like he missed a few tackles.

I go into Saturday evenings game at the swamp with very low expectations. If we finish within 10 points, it'll be progress. Thank you Jeremy.

Reactions: Russdaddy2027
Oh, we know. Just waiting on the physical proof. But, anyone expecting differently were delusional.

First year coach, installing new offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, changing a toxic culture, and doing all that 14 scholarships short….

Remember how bad USC was with Kiffin—that was 15 scholarship reduction for NCAA violations. We have one more scholarship than they did.

Dude.. we be bad. Not last year bad, but .500 with this roster is a good year.

Consider yourself right until they prove you wrong. Be like Charlie Brown going trick or treating. Hoping youget something good in your bag. But expect a rock.

Reactions: ptcarter
I think there isn’t much separation between us and half the other SEC teams. Just depends on if we improve as we go or if what we have seen is our best. I think we have improved and will improve but I am a positive person by nature. Could be wrong but there is still a chance to go 7-5 and 6-6. With a 4-4 SEC record. I don’t think I’ve seen anything from MO, KY, SC, or VANDY that tells me those are sure losses. Ole Miss is the upset I want. Kiffin coming back where he started the fire that has burned TN football for a decade, and stomping UT as a head coach, makes me sick. Florida is possible IMO but they also held tight with Bama which puts them on the too much to handle list. So I see GA, Bama, and Florida as our definite loses. Just my view from nowhere. Depth is more concerning than QB play right now for me.

We are lacking SEC Talent. Not only are we lacking, we have only 71 scholarship players. 69 after Beckwith and Bsiley transfer. We are bad, and getting worse. But, we knew this coming in. It's a process.

VN Store

Back