Face it, we still don't know if we are good or bad.

Team is much better coached than in Pruitt era. Hooker looks like Dobbs at times but has serious ball security issues that need fixing ASAP. Special teams play is very impressive. Quality depth is a huge concern that can’t be resolved quickly. It is still fun to watch the Vols and see if they can return to relevance in the SEC. Heupel has the best chance than the other post-Fulmer coaches to pull it off. This is a lower level SEC team and what we need to do is measure improvement throughout the year - if the squad remains healthy enough to compete. Walkon offensive linemen are getting banged up in the third game - wow!

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
SEC play starts vs. Florida. We left at least 20 points on the field vs. BG and Pitt each. Scored and shutout a really bad team by close to 60 points. In the meantime, Florida loses by 2 to Bama. The Battered Vol in me says we are in for yet another bad day in the swamp. Am I right? Or could these first three games be enough to get some kinks out. If for some reason we do pull it out there, and win - will it be a "signature win" for Heupel? Is Bama down this year? Their defense gave up a LOT.

We know we are bad. Most of us knew it during the off season. We took a bad team from last year and then removed most of the top returning players

Vandy may have figured something out, they're hanging with Stanford and won last week. SC looks rough. Very possible there could only be 3 or 4 wins this year with a very difficult schedule. Need to take an Arkansas-like improvement in Heupel year 2.

Just that Arkansas started looking good last season, Pittman's first year.
Arkansas knew their identity and went after a coach who fit their program, not the other way around. Tennessee goes from one coach to another, different styles, different philosophies so that every 3 - 5 years, we have to remake the roster and the returning players have to learn a whole new system that many of them are a bad fit for.. Please note that I have agreed with every head coach firing starting with Dooley.

Coach Fulmer was a difficult call and Johnny Majors being fired was just plain wrong. We treated or own badly.

Reactions: ptcarter
It doesn’t help we’ve lost half our OL in the first three games. I’m still hopeful that Hooker will learn to protect the ball. I think he has more upside than the rest. We’re just so overdue for a QB to really have the light to come on.
Your first sentence is what really worries me. Guys like Ollie Lane and Dayne Davis, walking into the swamp and possibly getting their first start in that environment. We will quickly get introduced to big boy ball next week. Do our guys ride to the challenge or wilt under the pressure? I’m also worried that Milton or Hooker will be like a deer in the headlights, and we all know how this usually plays out. When it comes to us playing the gators, when something goes wrong, it starts snowballing...
GBO!!

We have a 5 star quarterback sitting on the bench and our brain dead coach is too stupid to play him!
Yeah, what do they know? Right? They only see him every single day. You definitely know something they don't. And btw.... did you watch the same game I did? There's a reason Bailey is #3 on the depth chart.

SEC play starts vs. Florida. We left at least 20 points on the field vs. BG and Pitt each. Scored and shutout a really bad team by close to 60 points. In the meantime, Florida loses by 2 to Bama. The Battered Vol in me says we are in for yet another bad day in the swamp. Am I right? Or could these first three games be enough to get some kinks out. If for some reason we do pull it out there, and win - will it be a "signature win" for Heupel? Is Bama down this year? Their defense gave up a LOT.
We are bad. Some are just in denial.

I used to ask the question of how many guys today would start for the 2001 Vols as a way of illustrating how far things had to progress to get to where Tennessee wanted to go.

Well, if I asked how many of these guys start for the 2012 vols (a team that went 5-7), I don't think it's many. And it's probably 0 on the offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
We are clearly terrible.

I used to ask the question of how many guys today would start for the 2001 Vols as a way of illustrating how far things had to progress to get to where Tennessee wanted to go.

Well, if I asked how many of these guys start for the 2012 vols (a team that went 5-7), I don't think it's many. And it's probably 0 on the offensive side of the ball.

That 2012 offense set a lot of UT records, so that’s not all that much of an indictment.

Maybe a couple of these WRs could have gotten some PT in the 2000s. Theo Jackson (as of this year, at least) has been good enough for that era. Christian Charles appears to have the makings of a good player, but he’s still a true freshman. Tyler Baron passes the eyeball test so far. That’s it.

I don’t think Heupel is very interested in getting Bailey reps. He didn’t recruit him and he’s not the ideal qb for his offense.

Unfortunately Bailey would probably be better off transferring to a school where he will be valued.
Time may not allow it at this stage but with Hooker doing that spin move, CJH ought to consider giving HB some reps with the ones. CJH may be thinking red-shirt for HB this season but QB injuries could change all that.

Why are some of you so negative? We barely have 70 Scholarship Players. What the hell do you expect? All this negative stuff impacts players and coaches plus recruiting…
Wake-up and get your heads out of your a—!

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Why are some of you so negative? We barely have 70 Scholarship Players. What the hell do you expect? All this negative stuff impacts players and coaches plus recruiting…
Wake-up and get your heads out of your a—!
Having a 4th string doesn't matter that much. Our 1st and 2nd stringers, by and large, aren't as good as those above us.

We beat 2 bad teams
lost to a bad team in a game we should have won, mistakes etc...
find it ironic that Pitt lost to FBS Western Michigan & Western Michigan lost to Michigan 47 to 14 a team Milton couldn't keep his starting job. So they coached their QB up this year.
I know comparison scores mean little but a lot of ironies.
We can keep it close with UF if their QB has a low QBR game, like a couple interceptions and maybe 1 a pick 6. Otherwise I think the line will be around 17.

VN Store

Back