Explain This...

Colson was always going to Michigan and Kollie liked Norte Damn. You forget we had at the Time Terrance Lewis the number one linebacker committed the Willis kid a top five inside linebacker and a real shot at Small Mondon. Losing Wolfe hurt but other that the Pennington kid I don’t see a player on that list that was an absolute must have.

Remember when Fulmer cherry picked from GA, NC and SC for all that talent? Well, UT is now the program near death and those other teams are picking our bones instate.
Yes, AND we are emphasizing the recruiting out-of-state talent in Bama, Ga, Florida, etc. and striking out way more than we hit. It’s been a comedy of errors, especially when you consider it appears we were also cheating and still not getting the recruits or wins.

I think Pruitt's recruiting prowess has been vastly oversold.

It would be interesting to see the adjusted rankings after the attrition and busts with his classes.
Hell, you don't get a much easier sales job than asking a recruit to come play for Saban, a 7-time national champion head coach. It doesn't go nearly as well when you make the same sales pitch to come play for 3-7 Coach Pruitt.

I don’t understand the thought process behind “we don’t need those players anyway”. Stop kidding yourselves, yes we need in state players so we can keep those tap lines to those high schools producing those caliber players. That way we continue to land those players years in advance.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Hell, you don't get a much easier sales job than asking a recruit to come play for Saban, a 7-time national champion head coach. It doesn't go nearly as well when you make the same sales pitch to come play for 3-7 Coach Pruitt.

Winning games usually helps.

Just been a bunch of hype on Pruitt from day 1 on recruiting. Just like Butch. Just like Dooley.

This program blows smoke up its fans a** like few others.

I think Pruitt's recruiting prowess has been vastly oversold.

It would be interesting to see the adjusted rankings after the attrition and busts with his classes.

We do not have the Jimmys and Joes on this roster to compete with the best teams in CFB, but we should have been a whole lot better than 3 and FKN 7 in Pruitt’s 3rd year. Even an average coach would have won five games and the game against Auburn would have been much closer. Pruitt is the problem until he isn’t.

Explain how keeping Pruitt will help the ‘22 class when he couldn’t even recruit the top players in the state of Tennessee this year? I personally don’t care where we get our players from but this is still embarrassing.

View attachment 339075

Well to be fair what we did or didn’t get this year means nothing when it comes to the 2022 class.

We do not have the Jimmys and Joes on this roster to compete with the best teams in CFB, but we should have been a whole lot better than 3 and FKN 7 in Pruitt’s 3rd year. Even an average coach would have won five games and the game against Auburn would have been much closer. Pruitt is the problem until he isn’t.

No disagreement here.

No coach UT had since Fulmer in the mid and late 90s has recruited that great. We went from top 5 classes to top 20.

We aren't as visible in the Nashville area as the prior staff. We have an outdated offensive scheme that cost us Wolfe (shocking, TEs actually want to catch the ball). We thought Bringingstool was too small since our outdated philosophy treats TEs as the 6th OL. We thought we had better LBs committed but our staff didn't see the writing on the wall with a couple of them. Pruitt plays an outdated defensive philosophy that emphasizes big corners and we wanted Turrentine to play CB. He wanted to play S and Ohio State agreed. The rest of the guys we just missed.
Our crap O-line has slot to do with the TE bring a 6th O-lineman....pass protection and run blocking...when you have a mentally broken QB you just send endless pressure. Our guys needed all the help to buy time for JG to pick the non-orange jersey to throw it to. It has to eat Chaney up he doesn’t get to utilize the TE.

Remember Mychal Rivera? Chaney got him involved enough to break Jason Wittens single season receiving yards by a TE at Tennessee.

Rivera started all 12 games for the Volunteers in 2011. He caught 29 passes for 344 yards and a touchdown, placing third among SEC tight ends in both receptions and receiving yards. Against Florida, he had 5 catches for 71 yards, including an 18-yard touchdown reception. He caught 5 passes for 85 yards against Georgia.

Named to the Pre-Season All-SEC Third Team prior to the 2012 season, Rivera started in 10 of 12 games. He caught 36 passes for 562 yards and 5 touchdowns, breaking the single-season team record set by Jason Witten for most receiving yards by a tight end, and joining Reggie Harper as one of two Tennessee Volunteers tight ends with more than 1,000 career receiving yards. Rivera caught 4 passes for 47 yards and a touchdown against Florida. He caught 3 passes for 82 yards against Georgia, including a career-long 62-yard reception. Against Missouri, he caught 10 passes for 129 yards and a touchdown. Following the season, he was named All-SEC by both CBSSports and the SEC coaches, and All-SEC Second Team by the Associated Press.

Mychal Rivera - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics

Our crap O-line has slot to do with the TE bring a 6th O-lineman....pass protection and run blocking...when you have a mentally broken QB you just send endless pressure. Our guys needed all the help to buy time for JG to pick the non-orange jersey to throw it to. It has to eat Chaney up he doesn’t get to utilize the TE.

Remember Mychal Rivera? Chaney got him involved enough to break Jason Wittens single season receiving yards by a TE at Tennessee.

Rivera started all 12 games for the Volunteers in 2011. He caught 29 passes for 344 yards and a touchdown, placing third among SEC tight ends in both receptions and receiving yards. Against Florida, he had 5 catches for 71 yards, including an 18-yard touchdown reception. He caught 5 passes for 85 yards against Georgia.

Named to the Pre-Season All-SEC Third Team prior to the 2012 season, Rivera started in 10 of 12 games. He caught 36 passes for 562 yards and 5 touchdowns, breaking the single-season team record set by Jason Witten for most receiving yards by a tight end, and joining Reggie Harper as one of two Tennessee Volunteers tight ends with more than 1,000 career receiving yards. Rivera caught 4 passes for 47 yards and a touchdown against Florida. He caught 3 passes for 82 yards against Georgia, including a career-long 62-yard reception. Against Missouri, he caught 10 passes for 129 yards and a touchdown. Following the season, he was named All-SEC by both CBSSports and the SEC coaches, and All-SEC Second Team by the Associated Press.

Mychal Rivera - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics

Rivera was under a prior HC regime that emphasized a vertical passing attack.

Our staff showed very little interest in a Top 60 player like Briningstool because he was too small. Wolfe decommitted from us because of our philosophy and usage of TEs. We didnt lose players because of our OL or QB but because Pruitt insists on a bland, outdated offense.

Reactions: volmanNC
The closest team to us recruiting wise the past 7 years is UF. They won the East and nearly beat Bama. We lost by 27 to UK. Coaching matters
Coaching does matter as we all are aware of now. The topic was Pruitt not recruiting well enough to close the distance with the top tier SEC programs.

Explain how keeping Pruitt will help the ‘22 class when he couldn’t even recruit the top players in the state of Tennessee this year? I personally don’t care where we get our players from but this is still embarrassing.

View attachment 339075

This argument is dumb. We're assuming that these kids wanted to play for us anyway. I highly doubt we would've had more than 3 or 4 on this list even if we had a good season.

Kids aren't always Tennessee fans and you're telling me that Pruitt is a bad recruiter because some talent in-state want to go to perennial powers such as Clemson, ND, and OSU??

Last edited:
I was never very excited about the Pruitt hire but the one thing that made me feel a little better was that he was supposedly this great recruiter. He did pretty well at first but it’s all falling apart now. Overall, he has been a disappointment from a recruiting perspective imo.

I disagree. He hasn't been a disappointment recruiting. In fact, he's over achieved with our minimal success or lack of success.

I don't deny that not landing many of this past year's in-state players (only 1 of the top 10), is embarrassing and something that I do not like.

That said, I do not think the staff prioritized the state in the past cycle - I may disagree with that tact, but it doesn't make it untrue.

They are heavily after at least 10 players in the 2022 class, but I also have significant doubts that they can land the heavy hitters that are program changing players (Ty Simpson, Walter Nolen, etc.).

Put simply, they are just giving these kids too many reasons not to choose UT, when several of them like Jordan James, are looking for reasons to come here.

He just needs another year to bring in his guys.

giphy.gif

Reactions: JoAllan

View attachment 339075
Phil Fulmer didn't have the balls to fire Jeremy Pruitt and put off his firing until December 2021.

tenor (17).gif

Reactions: photovol

VN Store

Back