Evina denied

If there is a head coaching change and no other reason, does a player sometimes get a waiver?

Alexa was happier at Iowa State, I will give you that. I watched quite a few of her games last year and I would say less pressure to perform helped with her happiness but I wouldn't say she flourished. Go look at all her stats from last year. Nothing outstanding there and turnovers were still an issue. I liked Alexa and wanted her to stay but lets not act like she lit it up at Iowa State. I'm glad she did enjoy her last year of BB though.

Alexa was never going to be a college star, but she always had it in her to be a solid contributor as a starter for a good team. 10.1 ppg and 176 assists is nothing to be ashamed of. She did have her turnovers, but that seemed to be a function of ISU's style of play. I watched her games against Baylor and Texas in the B12 tournament, and she was fantastic. She was never given the opportunity to do that at Tennessee. Holly never developed her, and didn't seem to value her much, so moving on was the right move for her. She should have done it after her freshman year.

I'm not sure what you mean by flourished. If you mean she seemed happier playing, I can't speak to that. Her stats between her last year at Tennessee and last season at Iowa State were not significantly different. Her shooting percentage was 39.5% compared to 41.9%. Her 3point percentages were 38.9% compared to 34.1%. Her assist/to ratio went from 1.08 to 1.64, a fairly significant positive jump, in my opinion. She averaged about 2 minutes more per game and started in every game at Iowa State versus playing in every game at Tennessee, but starting in only 13 of 32. Nothing in the statistics jumps out as being significantly different between the two programs (although she did take about 1/3 more shots per game at Iowa State) with the exception of the starting role. Just my opinion.

Jim

Alexa looked like she was unsure of herself when she was at Tennessee and looked like a completely different player in the games I saw her play in. She played more fearlessly. Her role at ISU was one where she was counted on more, and as a result she played with more confidence than she ever did at Tennessee.

Reactions: Rixxx and Xraygurl
Alexa looked like she was unsure of herself when she was at Tennessee and looked like a completely different player in the games I saw her play in. She played more fearlessly. Her role at ISU was one where she was counted on more, and as a result she played with more confidence than she ever did at Tennessee.

I remember Alexa looking very sure of herself in the first few games of the season. I was actually impressed by her energy and confidence. As the season went on, though, her confidence regressed further and further until you could tell that she no longer believed in herself. I blamed the staff then for killing her LV career, and still do. I knew she'd flourish at ISU, but I'm still upset that a Tennessee born and raised girl had to leave her dream school for someone to see what she could do. Ugh. She should have been able to say she was a LVFL, dammit!

You have no idea what the criteria is for a waiver because the NCAA doesn’t have one. That has been the complaints of the schools for years. Why did Shepard of ND get one two years ago? She met none of what you said was the criteria. Did you see the actual waiver request? Doubtful, since it’s private. So your ridiculous claim that stuff was made up was just that. Ridiculous.

You certainly proved your ignorance on the subject. Now we all know that you have no understanding of the process, haven't read the NCAA guidelines and seemingly have no idea that guidelines (referenced in my post) even exist. Not only do they exist, they were modified in late June 2019-- two years after Jessica Shepard transferred-- so you really doubled down on your lack of knowledge there. The modified guidelines clarify exceptions, close loopholes and make it more difficult to gain immediate eligibility. A player now needs specific, documented evidence of all claims to be granted a waiver. And the original school can counter any claim.

When you've educated yourself on the topic-- provided, of course, that you have any desire to know anything about what you're talking about-- why don't you share your outrage on the unfairness of it all with your own board? Perhaps you'll have more credibility there. It's impossible to take you seriously here.

No need to since you just confirmed it yourself in the post above.

Surely your own belief should satisfy your demands. If not, then have a nice internal dialogue while hashing out conflicts.

P.S. Just to be extra-helpful, Google "auriemma reason summitt canceled series." If you won't even believe UCONN's coach as to why Summitt canceled the series and think he's lying, no amount of proof will persuade someone who's just being contrary. I'd post the link and include the quotes myself if on computer rather than phone, but I'm sure it would be worth a couple of seconds for you to satisfy your curiosity. Auriemma has never retracted those public comments.

Of course, he did say "recruiting violations" rather than "ethics," so you can say that you are technically correct. Because we all know that recruiting violations have nothing to do with ethics.

Apparently You read a different kind of English than I do. Your unwillingness to Re-read my post leaves you with the same first and wrong impression

That said I did take your suggestion and Googled the phrase you quoted

Google that exact phrase again and then post the FACTUAL results here.

As I said Pat Summitt was an excellent Coach and mentor of young women. We fans should be pleased enough with that without slinging crap at other excellent coaches

This kind of dysfunctional behavior gives all fans a bad rep. Worse it tarnishes Pat Summitt in my opinion

Reactions: Dube
You certainly proved your ignorance on the subject. Now we all know that you have no understanding of the process, haven't read the NCAA guidelines and seemingly have no idea that guidelines (referenced in my post) even exist. Not only do they exist, they were modified in late June 2019-- two years after Jessica Shepard transferred-- so you really doubled down on your lack of knowledge there. The modified guidelines clarify exceptions, close loopholes and make it more difficult to gain immediate eligibility. A player now needs specific, documented evidence of all claims to be granted a waiver. And the original school can counter any claim.

When you've educated yourself on the topic-- provided, of course, that you have any desire to know anything about what you're talking about-- why don't you share your outrage on the unfairness of it all with your own board? Perhaps you'll have more credibility there. It's impossible to take you seriously here.

The updated language of the guideline is less broad, requiring “documented extenuating, extraordinary and mitigating circumstances outside of the student-athlete’s control that directly impacts the health, safety or well-being of the student-athlete.”

In other words, it’s arbitrary and ambiguous where the stuffed shirts make up their own interpretation of the rules.

“we are extremely disappointed — quite frankly, stunned — in this outcome, and feel strongly that very compelling facts support clearance for immediate eligibility. We will stand by Ouur player and give support in every way possible as we exhaust all options in advocating for competitive opportunity.”

No, that wasn’t Geno. That was Fulmer talking about a Tennessee men’s basketball player whose waiver was not accepted.

The common enemy is the NCAA if you could look past you ur Geno hate for a minute.

Reactions: Dube and NeedOrange
Google that exact phrase again and then post the FACTUAL results here.

Yeah, but my Google goes to 11.

At the risk of having someone tell us to get a room:

UConn's Auriemma calls out Lady Vols' Summitt

"Pat knows ... So she should just tell you why instead of saying, 'Geno knows.' I do know," he said Tuesday. "I already told you. She accused us of cheating at recruiting. She doesn't have the courage to say it publicly. So yeah, Geno does know. And I've said it."

Now...

Quit rurnin' mah life.

John Boy and Billy...

Have a nice day.

No, that wasn’t Geno. That was Fulmer talking about a Tennessee men’s basketball player whose waiver was not accepted.

The common enemy is the NCAA if you could look past you ur Geno hate for a minute.

The key difference here, is Rick Barnes wasn't throwing shade at the player's former school...

The updated language of the guideline is less broad, requiring “documented extenuating, extraordinary and mitigating circumstances outside of the student-athlete’s control that directly impacts the health, safety or well-being of the student-athlete.”

In other words, it’s arbitrary and ambiguous where the stuffed shirts make up their own interpretation of the rules.

“we are extremely disappointed — quite frankly, stunned — in this outcome, and feel strongly that very compelling facts support clearance for immediate eligibility. We will stand by Ouur player and give support in every way possible as we exhaust all options in advocating for competitive opportunity.”

The Plavsic and Westbrook cases are fundamentally different. Feel free to Google. And how they were handled by each school is nothing alike. UT didn't make veiled accusations about ASU, and when our case was denied, we didn't publicly beg ASU to support our case so we could ram it through. UT built a case without using the media to slam another school and provided additional documentation for appeal. We're not trashing ASU, imploring them to support our claim and trying to strongarm them in the media to back us up because our case wasn't compelling enough for approval. We didn't do it in football, and we're not doing it in basketball.

My feeling about Geno is-- if he has evidence that UT did something warranting an investigation, he should put it out there. Stop insinuating and postering and releasing quotes about something unnamed needing to be investigated. Demand an investigation! But he's not doing that, is he? We all know why-- and it's certainly not out of respect for UT. If he had anything-- anything at all-- that was remotely factual or credible, it would be everywhere. And if the Westbrooks had anything investigation-worthy, you'd better believe it would be out there. Why isn't it? Because innuedo and facts are very different, and every school has the benefit of legal counsel. And that's about all UT and UConn have in common-- lawyers who know where the line is and what can happen when you cross it.

The Plavsic and Westbrook cases are fundamentally different. Feel free to Google. And how they were handled by each school is nothing alike. UT didn't make veiled accusations about ASU, and when our case was denied, we didn't publicly beg ASU to support our case so we could ram it through. UT built a case without using the media to slam another school and provided additional documentation for appeal. We're not trashing ASU, imploring them to support our claim and trying to strongarm them in the media to back us up because our case wasn't compelling enough for approval. We didn't do it in football, and we're not doing it in basketball.

My feeling about Geno is-- if he has evidence that UT did something warranting an investigation, he should put it out there. Stop insinuating and postering and releasing quotes about something unnamed needing to be investigated. Demand an investigation! But he's not doing that, is he? We all know why-- and it's certainly not out of respect for UT. If he had anything-- anything at all-- that was remotely factual or credible, it would be everywhere. And if the Westbrooks had anything investigation-worthy, you'd better believe it would be out there. Why isn't it? Because innuedo and facts are very different, and every school has the benefit of legal counsel. And that's about all UT and UConn have in common-- lawyers who know where the line is and what can happen when you cross it.

BOOM!!! 💥 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Yes yes yes! Alllll of this. Beautifully stated!

UT supported her transfer, but was neutral on the waiver. PF was asked to change from neutral to support for the appeal. I can understand why Fulmer would not be happy Evina. After all, he was the one she called out. It made him look bad that a player is calling out for a change in the staff.
He should have made a coaching change 2 or 3 seasons ago and this wouldn't have happened.

Reactions: PointGuard
She had a physical upon arriving at Uconn and had surgery right away! I would say that is enough evidence.

She had a physical upon arriving at Uconn and had surgery right away! I would say that is enough evidence.
As a medical professional myself, we all know there are always differences of opinion when it comes to the many ways to treat an injury. Who’s to say the UT medical staff didn’t do every other treatment possible before suggesting that surgery that she got?? Do we know that surgery would not have happened if she stayed at UT thru the summer/fall semester? We don’t know what the medical staff did to help her problematic knee and the implication by Geno, or anyone else for that matter, that the UT medical staff did ANYthing wrong without having any facts to support this is just plain insulting.

As a medical professional myself, we all know there are always differences of opinion when it comes to the many ways to treat an injury. Who’s to say the UT medical staff didn’t do every other treatment possible before suggesting that surgery that she got?? Do we know that surgery would not have happened if she stayed at UT thru the summer/fall semester? We don’t know what the medical staff did to help her problematic knee and the implication by Geno, or anyone else for that matter, that the UT medical staff did ANYthing wrong without having any facts to support this is just plain insulting.
Pretty much no one on this board knows what happened. You are right, no facts to support claims about this is insulting. Like accusing Geno of making things up.

How is that evidence nobody knows what she did from the time she left UT to getting there. She was under medical treatment quite a bit while she was here and she never had to play or was requested to play without her permission to do so. Geno is an idiot likes to blame someone else when things don't go his way. We have nothing to do with Evina anymore whatever she does from here on in is on UConn and don't be asking Tennessee for any help or favors because you can't get something done on you own.

VN Store

Back