Evina denied

It is a reasonable guess. I can see from Evina's side, the claim is that the LV medical staff and/or coaching was not looking after her best interest but the NCAA might have seen the situation as just a case where medical opinions differed or the injury took on an unexpected complication.

Again, in trying to get a waiver, the athlete and recipient school will try to make the best case possible even if means stretching the facts to fit the narrative.

If social media reactions are any indication, Evina's mom posted that LV fans would not have Evina to kick around any more. I believe her mom's post (and I could be wrong on the timing) happened before Evina's controversial interview statements and came in the context of people criticizing Evina's play during the losing streak.

Those criticisms were not fair but thin skinned parents don't help athletes make reasoned decisions.

I wish she was here playing under Kellie but we have a lose-lose for both the LVs and Evina.
"The LV medical staff..not looking after her best interest"? Is there any evidence of that ever in the past?!

Geno called Phil Fulmer to help out with the situation. He mentioned the men’s basketball player and playing to the fact Coach Fulmer was mad at the NCAA for their decision.

I really hope Coach Fulmer says I am staying respectfully staying out of this. Let the NCAA decide what they want on their own. I wouldn’t get involved especially when it came to UConn and TN.

Here is part of the story

The news comes two days after UConn learned that Tennessee transfer Evina Westbrook had been denied a waiver by the NCAA that would have allowed the 6-foot guard to play for UConn this season.
Auriemma said he's still hoping to have that decision overturned on appeal and called on Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer to take a more active role in supporting the transfer.
He noted that Fulmer was unhappy Saturday after Tennessee men's player Uros Plavsic was denied a similar waiver request.
"I'm glad to see that Phil and I agree that everything should be done for the welfare of the student-athlete," he said.

Geno called Phil Fulmer to help out with the situation. He mentioned the men’s basketball player and playing to the fact Coach Fulmer was mad at the NCAA for their decision.

I really hope Coach Fulmer says I am staying respectfully staying out of this. Let the NCAA decide what they want on their own. I wouldn’t get involved especially when it came to UConn and TN.

The news comes two days after UConn learned that Tennessee transfer Evina Westbrook had been denied a waiver by the NCAA that would have allowed the 6-foot guard to play for UConn this season.
Auriemma said he's still hoping to have that decision overturned on appeal and called on Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer to take a more active role in supporting the transfer.
He noted that Fulmer was unhappy Saturday after Tennessee men's player Uros Plavsic was denied a similar waiver request.
"I'm glad to see that Phil and I agree that everything should be done for the welfare of the student-athlete," he said.
As long as Geno Auriemma isn't accusing the UT medical staff or coaching staff of doing anything improper with regard to Evina Westbrook's health and well-being? I would have no problem with Phil Fulmer advocating for her to get the waiver... but (and this is a big but here), Geno is going to have to explain that statement he made, which appeared to imply that Westbrook had been mistreated in some way, or perhaps didn't get as good of health care here, as she needed.

"The LV medical staff..not looking after her best interest"? Is there any evidence of that ever in the past?!

Why pull that one statement out the context of my longer post? I was responding to another poster who SPECULATED that part of the "unusual circumstances" might have to do with a claim that the LVs medical staff had not handled her knee issue appropriately.

I stated that this SPECULATION made some sense because the transfer parties would want to spin an ambiguous situation in a manner that supported their case but that the NCAA then probably ruled that there was no merit to that claim.

I understand there are posters like you who seem desperate to stoke more controversy out of this transfer saga but, please refrain from misrepresenting my post to serve that agenda.

Last edited:
As long as Geno Auriemma isn't accusing the UT medical staff or coaching staff of doing anything improper with regard to Evina Westbrook's health and well-being? I would have no problem with Phil Fulmer advocating for her to get the waiver... but (and this is a big but here), Geno is going to have to explain that statement he made, which appeared to imply that Westbrook had been mistreated in some way, or perhaps didn't get as good of health care here, as she needed.

I’m not so nice I guess because I want him to stay out of it and if she plays awesome I hope she is healthy if not then oh well she gets time to heal physically and “mentally”.

Also if it benefits him I don’t really care. Hate that it may affect an athlete but she chose to leave knowing this was a possibility. Again, if she plays I wouldn’t be mad I’m just ok with them denying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVsinceJV
Why pull that one statement out the context of my longer post? I was responding to another poster who SPECULATED that part of the "unusual circumstances" might have to do with a claim that the LVs medical staff had not handled her knee issue appropriately.

I stated that this SPECULATION made some sense because the transfer parties would want to spin an ambiguous situation in a manner that supported their case but that the NCAA then probably ruled that there was no merit to that claim.

I understand there are posters like you who seem desperate to stoke more controversy out of this transfer saga but, please refrain from misrepresenting my post to serve that agenda.
Yes, that was my post asking if anyone heard of a knee problem with Evina. That was speculation on the boneyard that could have factored into a request for waiver. Also just read that UT took a neutral position of Evina playing. Didn't object and didn't support. UConn AD has called PF to see if he will change UT position to support. Some comments about Phil knows how hurt the kids get now that he has seen it up close.

Don’t know reasoning but does not seem equitable. Flame away, but she’s just an unhappy kid. Let her transfer and play. Any kid the same.

People hold that interview against her, but she just said a change needed to be made. Not change coaches, dismiss players, etc. And there did need to be a change.

Wish she had given Kellie a chance, but so what. Leave and be happy. Better than stay and be unhappy. For all involved.

per: Evina Westbrook’s transfer request is denied

To be real, no matter what Westbrook said in the interview, she was correct in saying a change had to be made. To be successful, Holly had to change what she was doing. I personally do not think Holly could change. I am as guilty as any other posters at giving Westbrook a lot of crap. I think she needed a change of venue. I also wish she would have given KJH a chance. However, she more or less, may have looked at the change, in coaching as a rebuilding situation. If she wanted a chance to be part of a championship team, she made the right move.

Reactions: Dube and LVsinceJV

Why does Phillip need to get involved? Tennessee supported her transfer and did not
try to block it. What more do they need to do? What more can they do? This notion is absurd!

Why does Phillip need to get involved? Tennessee supported her transfer and did not
try to block it. What more do they need to do? What more can they do? This notion is absurd!

don’t ask me! Lol Geno and the AD CALLED FULMER to ask him to take a different stance. It has been documented that they said his indifference was likely the cause lol

“Benedict and Auriemma said that Fulmer, as the athletic director at Westbrook’s previous school, had the opportunity to support, not support, or remain noncommittal about Westbrook’s waiver during the request process, but that Fulmer chose to remain neutral. The pair believe that Fulmer’s lack of support influenced the NCAA’s decision, and called on Fulmer to reverse his position before the appeal is heard by the NCAA’s Division I Committee of Legislative Relief.

Here ya go here is the link

Geno Auriemma, UConn AD David Benedict call on Tennessee to support Evina Westbrook transfer waiver ahead of NCAA appeal

Last edited:
Reactions: BowlBrother85
For those who wondered where Geno implied TN mistreated Evina ...

“ To earn a waiver for a given player, schools must show a “specific, extraordinary circumstance” out of their control that necessitated a transfer. While the exact argument UConn is making for Westbrook’s eligibility is unknown, Auriemma spoke of a “not normal” situation at Tennessee that led to her departure, even adding on Friday that “if one of my players went through what Evina went through, I think there would be an investigation here.”

UT supported her transfer, but was neutral on the waiver. PF was asked to change from neutral to support for the appeal. I can understand why Fulmer would not be happy Evina. After all, he was the one she called out. It made him look bad that a player is calling out for a change in the staff.

Reactions: T_Vol376
UT supported her transfer, but was neutral on the waiver. PF was asked to change from neutral to support for the appeal. I can understand why Fulmer would not be happy Evina. After all, he was the one she called out. It made him look bad that a player is calling out for a change in the staff.

And now Geno says if it happened at UConn there would be an investigation? That doesn’t make admin look good either that they would let something like that go on. To his credit CPF seems like he is staying neutral.

To be real, no matter what Westbrook said in the interview, she was correct in saying a change had to be made. To be successful, Holly had to change what she was doing. I personally do not think Holly could change. I am as guilty as any other posters at giving Westbrook a lot of crap. I think she needed a change of venue. I also wish she would have given KJH a chance. However, she more or less, may have looked at the change, in coaching as a rebuilding situation. If she wanted a chance to be part of a championship team, she made the right move.
She should have declined to answer any questions posed to her about Warlick's status. That is what every other player still with the team did.

And now Geno says if it happened at UConn there would be an investigation? That doesn’t make admin look good either that they would let something like that go on. To his credit CPF seems like he is staying neutral.
Geno Auriemma has publicly suggested that Tennessee did something wrong in their handling of Evina Westbrook which might warrant an NCAA investigation. Now, Auriemma wants Tennessee's Athletic Director to assist him in helping Westbrook get a waiver from the NCAA? If Fulmer does that, it would be an acknowledgment that Auriemma is right. Fulmer has no choice but to remain neutral in light of what Auriemma has said.

Westbrook wanted to leave. UT supported her decision to go, continued to help and support her while enrolled at UT and cooperated in her transfer process. Advocating for her is UConn's job. She's their player, not ours-- by her choice.

If Geno keeps casting aspersions, then UT should counter to clarify the situation. That will further reduce her chances.

Again, what Evina said is not what is widely and erroneously attributed to her:

She stated that she did not know if Holly would be back (after the first round loss to UCLA) and that changes needed to be made in terms of "off the court stuff" and changes in the staff. That is a far cry from calling for anyone to be fired.

But, let's go further. Evina was not asked this question the year before. And why? Because, the season before (even though a disappointing one), there was not serious administrative movement to sack Holly. Last season was quite different. All the reporters knew that Holly was on the proverbial hot seat and that a first round tourney loss was likely the final straw. That is why reporters ask Evina if she thought Holly would be back to which she said "I don't know".

I don't think that was an inappropriate answer at all but was a crap question to ask a student athlete. Ask Fulmer that but not a player right after a tournament loss. But, Evina' s statement had NOTHING to do with Holly being fired. That decision was already imminent and it baffles me that anyone would think that Evina played some kind of role in Holly quite justified dismissal.

Here would be Fulmer's reasoning -- okay, the LVs have been on a four year slide; every notable media pundit is commenting on how poorly coached the team is; fans and alumni are demanding a change. Eh, screw all that,. I am sticking with Holly. Wait, Evina Westbrook said that changes need to be made in the staff! OMG, that changes everything! Start the search for a new head coach. What Evina wishes is my command!"

Last edited:
Again, what Evina said is not what is widely and erroneously attributed to her:

She stated that she did not know if Holly would be back (this after the first round loss to UCLA) and that changes needed to be made in terms of court stuff and changes in the staff. That is a far cry from calling for anyone to be fired.

But, let's go further. Evina was not asked this question the year before. And why? Because, the season before (even though a disappointing one), there was not serious administrative movement to sack Holly. Last season was quite different. All the reporters knew that Holly was on the proverbial hot seat and that a first round tourney loss was likely the final straw. That is why reporters ask Evina if she thought Holly would be back to which she said "I don't know".

I don't think that was an inappropriate answer at all but was a crap question to ask a student athlete. Ask Fulmer that but not a player right after a tournament loss. But, Evina' s statement had NOTHING to do with Holly being fired. That decision was already imminent and it baffles me that anyone would think that Evina played some kind of role in Holly quite justified dismisal.

Here would be Fulmer's reasoning -- okay, the LVs have been a four uear slide; every notable media pundit is commenting on how poorly coached the team is; fans and alumni are demanding a change. Eh, screw all that,. I am sticking with Holly. Wait, wWhat did you say, Evina Westbrook said that changes need to be made in the staff! OMG, that changes everything! Start the search for a new head coach. What Evina wishes is my command!"

Excellent post.

What Evina Westbrook said has nothing to do with the transfer process or waiver approval.

And the idea that UT inexplicably denied surgery to an athlete is preposterous. If she needed surgery-- or any other treatment deemed medically necessary-- she would have gotten it at UT. IF she had remained a UT player. Geno better reconsider his legal position before continuing to make such reckless statements.

What Evina Westbrook said has nothing to do with the transfer process or waiver approval.

And the idea that UT inexplicably denied surgery to an athlete is preposterous. If she needed surgery-- or any other treatment deemed medically necessary-- she would have gotten it at UT. IF she had remained a UT player. Geno better reconsider his legal position before continuing to make such reckless statements.
Think about the balls on this guy for a second. He basically accuses UT of a very serious breach of trust involving an athlete under their supervision.... but then calls to ask the UT AD to assist him in getting that same athlete a waiver?

Hopefully Aureimma will report this serious issue that occurred to Evina here at Tennessee than just simply blab about it vaguely to stir the pot. Surely if something horrific happened to Evina, then it must be reported to authorities! #metoo

Alexa Middleton transfers because she wouldn't see much floor time here. Good good, LVFL

Evina Westbrook transfers because she's ungrateful for the opportunity to play on the Summit. **** her.

Alexa Middleton transfers because she wouldn't see much floor time here. Good good, LVFL

Evina Westbrook transfers because she's ungrateful for the opportunity to play on the Summit. **** her.

Alexa transferred because she wanted to enjoy basketball,,,had nothing to do with PT

Reactions: Dube and SandyO

VN Store

Back