Evina denied

You care a lot. You wish you were them. They are still the program every measures themselves against, TN on the other hand is a iddle to bottom 1/2 SEC team that can;t get past the 2nd round of the tourney. They needed a charity case to get in last year & promptly showed why they shouldn't have been in.
No we don't like cheaters winning by breaking rule does not mean that much to us. Of course we want to win but we don't sell handbags on the University campus or put players up in big houses when it is against the rules. Of course you got away with it still everyone knows UConn cheated so go away.

As ever, Sir Jim, you are spot on. Intelligent, reasoned, and compassionate response. I wish I could like your post a thousand times.

Listen to the video people; hear who was pressing an emotional kid again and again. Hear what she finally said after that pressure. The UT staff and the “reporter” were at fault. Evina finally responded to a person who kept pushing her in a situation she could not leave and she could not rudely respond. Someone should have stepped in and stopped it.

Yes, you are exactly right.
That is total BS, and very stupid logic. Nobody made her say a damn thing.

I have a question that needs clarification. Evina hurt her knee during her freshman year. Immediately upon entering UConn she received surgery on the same knee. Do you remember any discussion of Evina playing hurt and needing surgery?

Reactions: feathersax
I have a question that needs clarification. Evina hurt her knee during her freshman year. Immediately upon entering UConn she received surgery on the same knee. Do you remember any discussion of Evina playing hurt and needing surgery?
I don't think anything like that was ever on here, but you never know about social media. It isn't credible that the University of Tennessee coaching staff was trying to exploit her by playing someone who was in pain. I just don't buy it based on Warlick's history in dealing with other players. Westbrook got a 2nd opinion from the UConn doctor, and they recommended surgery whereas the UT doctor had not. This is not an unheard of situation.

I do not believe for one minute that Westbrook had ever complained of being in pain... and the coaching staff still played her. That is Geno being Geno.

So let me get this straight. A player ditches Tennessee, and transfers to Tennessee's biggest rival, a school whose coach will happily throw Tennessee under the bus to both help him get what he wants or just plain ol' entertain himself, and I'm supposed to feel what exactly? Because I know what I feel.

If you decide to leave a school and go to another, you sit out a year. That's the rule. Waivers are normally about hardship. She just wanted to leave. That's not a hardship.
Exactly. Now, if she had kept her mouth shut, and not expressed an interest in a coaching change at Tennessee, she could have used that as the reason for her transfer, and probably gotten a waiver but she didn't keep her mouth shut... and so the narrative shifted to her knee. Obviously, the NCAA wasn't convinced that Tennessee had done anything wrong.

The Tennessee women's basketball program has never denied a release for a transfer or opposed a waiver, even within the SEC. Pat Summitt had an open door policy and lost some good players but never complained. Holly Warlick was no different. We have had multiple players transfer to South Carolina. Teresa Geter was a contributor on our undefeated '98 team but finished her career at SC.

The fact of the matter here, is that Evina Westbrook expressed a desire to see Holly Warlick fired while she was still a player at Tennessee. She can't turn around and then claim that Warlick's firing is why she wanted to transfer... and if a player is going to make an accusation of abuse against Tennessee (and I haven't seen anything from Westbrook, just an insinuation from Geno)? They had better be prepared for a strong rebuttal from both current and former players because nobody close to the program is going to corroborate that or believe it.
Bingo

Is the whole fanbase really this stupid? Your butt-hurt isn't Tennessee's fault or Tennessee's problem, but hey good luck with that appeal...
You can thank me later for all the likes you got for your response to me instead of all the other Tennessee fans hating on you. Common enemy..lol.

Reactions: mcannon1
Honestly, there is zero reason for her to be granted immediate playing time given the situation, and I see no reason transfers should be allowed to play immediately under normal circumstances. You can leave if you want but deal with the consequences. It was obvious Holly being fired wasn't why she left. Given her comments in that infamous interview, she was clearly on her way out regardless, and it wouldn't surprise me if those comments -- along with her loudmouthed mother showing her *ss all over social media last season -- played a role in her not being granted immediate eligibility. FWIW, I had no problems with those comments then and still don't. But WTBS, you need to talk to the talk AND walk the walk. If you wanna leave (and have a big mouth), you can deal with the ramificiations. This isn't new.

Honestly, there is zero reason for her to be granted immediate playing time given the situation, and I see no reason transfers should be allowed to play immediately under normal circumstances. You can leave if you want but deal with the consequences. It was obvious Holly being fired wasn't why she left. Given her comments in that infamous interview, she was clearly on her way out regardless, and it wouldn't surprise me if those comments -- along with her loudmouthed mother showing her *ss all over social media last season -- played a role in her not being granted immediate eligibility. FWIW, I had no problems with those comments then and still don't. But WTBS, you need to talk to the talk AND walk the walk. If you wanna leave (and have a big mouth), you can deal with the ramificiations. This isn't new.
Agreed... and there are programs in Tennessee's position who might have denied a release to Westbrook to transfer to UConn. They are on our schedule next season, and we have a well-documented history of animosity with them. This situation does make me wonder if Geno Auriemma would grant a release to a former 5 star recruit who is also a starter, if they tried to transfer to Tennessee?

I have always been proud of how well we treat those who have left the program and we have had some good players who did (Kim Smallwood, Teresa Geter, April McDivitt, Michelle Munoz, Sade Wiley-Gatewood). We have always granted releases to them unconditionally, and never stood in the way of them trying to become immediately eligible. Tennessee women's basketball has always done things the right way in that regard, and we should all take pride in that and not stand for a UConn fan coming on this forum and suggesting otherwise... just my 2 cents.

VN Store

Back